BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This is why you don't want a Chinese bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend a lot of the nay-sayers just go and have a test ride of any of the current Zontes 125's (ZT125-U, ZT125-U1 and the G versions). Go in open minded, feel the switchgear, look around the fittings then have a ride on one.

I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I'd recommend a lot of the nay-sayers just go and have a test ride of any of the current Zontes 125's (ZT125-U, ZT125-U1 and the G versions). Go in open minded, feel the switchgear, look around the fittings then have a ride on one.

It's an old story though isn't it? 'You shag one sheep and..'

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:52 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the switchgear, fit and finish etc. of that thing in the OP look perfectly reasonable, especially for a budget machine.

Didn't stop the swingarm snapping though.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:05 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Zontes swingarm was a thing of beauty. Curvy and thicc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
Didn't stop the swingarm snapping though.

As with everything there are different tiers of manufacturers. The point I was trying to get across is that not all marques are the same and you might be pleasantly surprised by some like Zontes.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:50 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to get across is that not all marques are the same and you might be pleasantly surprised by some like Zontes.

I get that yours was OK for the couple of years you had it, and that's great, but my experience of Chinese bikes has been diametrically opposite; I've owned and worked on enough Chinese domestic market tat over the last 15 years, and seen enough false dawns of the Chinese motorcycle industry to not be holding my breath over Zontes.

I'm more concerned about how I'm going to break the news to the owner of this POS that I won't be welding the frame up, and recommending that they weigh it in and buy something decent instead,

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:44 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good Chinese bikes. I couldn't name one. They have zero brand recognition, everything seems to be rebadged 8 times, and when you pull off the plastics a lot of the bike is copied from a variety of Japanese models from the last 50 years.

A Zontes might be good. Fucked if I know. They only make small, unappealing bikes and I passed my test 20 years ago, so I'm not in that market. They would only get my attention by doing some incredible yet expensive halo model (like the European manufacturers still do when they feel forgotten) or by providing a range of bikes that may appeal to me (like the Japanese manufacturers).

Until that problem* is overcome, Chinese bike will be associated with shite quality.

*Strictly speaking, it's only a problem from our point of view. They've been selling this shit over here by the container load for over a decade. As a business model, it clearly works.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
...Strictly speaking, it's only a problem from our point of view. They've been selling this shit over here by the container load for over a decade. As a business model, it clearly works.

You sure got that right. No shortage of customers for a Chinese "bargain". Rolling Eyes

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhap many factories just don't care because they've been flogging this cheap stuff and making a profit on it for so long they think
"fuck it, it works for me"
The UK and western demand must be pretty small globally, whereas the far eastern countries with less demand for quality than cheapness, keep buying them.
The roads are full of scoots and small bikes out there.
In the main they're 21st century donkeys, not cool, sexy, garage queens to bragged about.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:29 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 70s I visited Indonesia a few times. I was just getting into bikes then and they were the most popular mode of transport for the general (very poor) population. Mainly Honda C50 types and 125s. The most biggest and exotic bike I ever saw there was a Suzuki GT380. The bikes had to be extremely robust as they were overloaded, the roads were rubbish and I expect received little maintenance. I would have thought the bikes from China would be competition on a cost basis but how they would last would be important. It would be interesting to see what the mix of brands is like there now. Maybe the bikes China sells in Asia are better quality and we just get the tat.

Edit. I found this https://www.nst.com.my/cbt/2019/11/542891/indonesias-motorcycle-sales-seen-flat-2020

Looks like the Japanese still have the market share.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyr62 wrote:
Indonesia

I've visited East Asia a lot before COVID:

China (Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Ningbo), Taiwan (Taipei, Taichung, Tainan (I've been presented a plaque by the Mayor of Tainan) and Kaohsiung) and Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka) and I've noticed that there are motorcycles and scooters absolutely everywhere in China and Taiwan where they are most people's commuter vehicle. In Japan you see loads of them but it's more akin to the UK where they are a hobby vehicle.

I am going to Tokyo on vacation next year and on the return leg will be going to South Korea to audit a new factory that we use there so I am interested to see what it's like in South Korea.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are hugely popular in those countries. I don't think that article tells the whole story. Government intervention has limited the reach of laissez-faire capitalism. In Indonesia, they introduced a cc limit. Still, a couple of people with wealth and a lot of influence managed to get their hands on Harleys. The place was awash with small bikes, and the government introduced limits on which highways could be used by bikes, and then introduced limits on city streets, and finally car-free and bike-free days. Before that, Vietnam got hit by coercive anti-bike restrictions, banning them from cities. Before that, China, in its characteristic authoritarian style, simply banned and crushed people's bikes. The article mentions cigarette prices - for a long time there was essentially zero tax on cigarettes. And it mentions power: that (oil and gas) was actually subsidised by the government there to stimulate the economy. Most of these SE Asian countries have been anticipating the middle income trap and I expect they'll significantly phase out private road transport in the name of green measures (in reality, the contracts for rail networks, etc. have all been lined up).

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:44 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Motorcycle sales are expected to be 6.51 million units this year, or about 2 per cent higher than in 2018."

That still sounds like a lot of bikes to me. Maybe it's changed now (hopefully) but the infrastructure I experienced was very third world and the Government back then (ruled by Suharto) was corrupt in the extreme. Interestingly there was no evidence of religious extremism at all. I do think that has changed unfortunately.

Very nice people as long as you weren't Chinese, which might explain the continued popularity of Japan bikes.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you discount the Chinese owned brand bikes like Benelli, the only home grown firm that seems to turn out big bikes is CF Moto. I remember they made a clone Kwack ER6 and there is a new one that popped up on my feed, I have no idea if they are any good though and is 7 grand cheap for an 800cc motorbike nowadays?

https://img2.storyblok.com/920x0/smart/filters:format(webp)/f/176629/3000x2000/e6aeb9e64c/800nk-std_zircon-black_right.jpg

https://cfmoto-motorcycle.eu/uk/en/motorcycles/naked/800nk

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
is 7 grand cheap for an 800cc motorbike nowadays?

Nah I would rather buy a brand-new Yamaha MT-07 for £7,510.00.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:23 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the pricing for those new CFMotos is way off track considering a new Honda Hornet goes for sub 7k.

Am starting to see some CFMotos, Benellis and Voges with £2000 off - think Honda have pulled a blinder there.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:36 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a 2016 125 serviced and clutch basket renewed. When I called the mechanic to ask to get it booked in he asked if it was a Chinese bike as he struggled to get parts on some Chinese bikes more than 4-5 years old. It was a Honda, so no problem.

On the other side of the coin I have a German made brush cutter which is 10 yrs+ old, it’s always been a bitch to start, been serviced/ adjusted/ carbs fiddled with umpteen times inc by the dealership, still a bitch to get going.

On a whim I bought a 5 dollar Chinese carb for it from Aliexpress, fitted it and it now runs like a charm and has been faultless for the 2-3 years since.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
is 7 grand cheap for an 800cc motorbike nowadays?

Nah I would rather buy a brand-new Yamaha MT-07 for £7,510.00.

fwiw i remember when the mt07 first came out they were 5k - for about a year

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Honda Hornet goes for sub 7k

List price is £7,299.00 which I think is pretty good. Kawasaki Z650 is £7,139.00.

The Suzuki GSX-8S is the only high-price outlier coming in at £8,199.00.

I think the Hornet is fucking ugly. The GSX-8S and MT-07 are by far the best lookers of the bunch.

Looking at it as a young rider though a brand new Yamaha MT-125 is £5,102.00 which is way more than a brand new Zontes ZT-125U which is £3,249.00 and comes with a free SHAD top-box with mounts, etc (worth £301.97) and has a parts and labour warranty for 3 years the same as the Yamaha.

You get a better spec'd bike with a quality topbox for 64% of the cost. Fair play Yamaha will have better resale though.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:36 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding cheap chinesium stuff, I'm stuck in the mindset of questioning why and how something that is essentially performing the same function is miraculously cheaper.
A previous company I worked for buying a Chinese CNC glass-cutting machine against my advice as it was 'loads cheaper than the German and British ones and doing the same basic geometric cutting function'. Turned out to be an utter pile of cheap garbage with numerous corners cut during manufacturing, and iffy aftermarket spares supply.

Boils my piss how far we have gone down the disposable everything route. The last straw for me was when the £100 chinese bicycles appeared, so basically the most environmentally friendly and sustainable method of moving humans around more than walking distances, now made cheap and ready for the metal bin at the tip/local canal after a couple of years.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullers1845 wrote:
Regarding cheap chinesium stuff, I'm stuck in the mindset of questioning why and how something that is essentially performing the same function is miraculously cheaper.

Economy of scale as well as energy and consumable costs. Simple as that.

I can buy a set of tool dies from a precision engineers here in the UK that will run me about £5,000 plus or minus £500 or I can get a set made with the same specification materials and tolerances made in Taiwan for $1,800 - $2,000 USD.

Why is that?

The factory in Taiwan has rows and rows of 5-axis CNC machines with jigs and tooling solely to make injection moulding dies (it's their whole business) and the heat treatment plant is in the building further along the street so it can go there and back within 24 hours put onto a pallet and Kaohsiung port is a 30 minute drive away. The average salary for a CNC machinist in Taiwan is £12.84 per hour and the average cost of electricity for the roller furnace is £0.05 kWh.

The precision engineer in the UK has maybe three or four machines tops and because there's fuck all market for his expensive service he has to diversify his offering and take work in anything he can get so will have to cost in his design and set-up time that the other factory doesn't. He then needs to have the parts collected and taken to a different facility for heat treatment that could be miles away in the UK and it probably has to go in an expensive courier or pay an expensive uplift fee for the HT place to collect it. The average salary for a CNC machinist in the UK is £11.33 per hour, which is less than it is in Taiwan and the average cost of electricity here is £0.20 kWh.

Energy is four times more expensive in the UK and labour is roughly in parity. Materials are produced in China and Taiwan so are cheaper than the same materials sourced in the UK. Taiwan is set-up for heavy industry, machining, etc where as the UK isn't. Taiwanese Enterprise Parks are thought out and industries that align with each other group together to keep ancillary costs down, whereas in the UK you'll get an industrial estate with a precision machinist next to a cunt who sells dodgy carpets and maybe a place that does part-worn tyres.

Europe is shite at being economical in manufacturing because it doesn't have the same economy of scale or joined-up thinking. UK is dog shit at manufacturing. Sorry, not sorry.

EDIT:

Sources:

https://uk.talent.com/salary?job=Machinist

https://www.theenergyshop.com/guides/compare-gas-electricity-prices-per-kwh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_Taiwan#:~:text=In%20terms%20of%20the%20price%20to%20produce%20electricity%2C,for%20coal%20and%20US%2411.25%20cent%2FkWh%20for%20natural%20gas.

https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/cnc-machinist-computerized-numerical-control-machinist/taiwan#:~:text=The%20average%20cnc%20machinist%20%28computerized%20numerical%20control%20machinist%29,NT%241%2C050%2C120%20or%20an%20equivalent%20hourly%20rate%20of%20NT%24505.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2