Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Have billhook, will travel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:06 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Have billhook, will travel Reply with quote

Just wondering if anybody has had any experiences with coppicing courses. The sort of thing where they teach you how to do woodland shit on purpose. Been interested for years and would like to follow this up. The problem is whether there's any viable work to be obtained at the end of it, or is this all just Olde Shite that nobody cares about any more and it's now mainly just a weekend away for the caravan crowd?

Me: “I want to go live in my tent in the outdoors and hack at things with a billhook.”

Mr Milquetoast: “The outdoors... yes I’ve heard of it. Dreadful place. I’ve heard the wifi can be a bit dodgy.”

Mrs Weaktea: “The outdoors? Isn’t that where we park the Range Rover when we go to Morrisons? Dear God, why would anybody want to sleep there? it’s full of seagulls!”

Mr Milquetoast: “He didn’t mean it LITERALLY, dear, he was simply speculating about these ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLES people get interested in during their midlife crisis. You know, like monks and that sort of thing. People who run away from responsibility and have to hide in a commune somewhere. That sort of thing.”

Mrs Weaktea: “Oh, for a moment there I thought he was serious!”

Me: “Um, I am serious. I want to be somewhere with a campfire.”

Mr Milquetoast: “Campfire? Yes, I know what you mean. It’s where Pagans set fire to twigs and char bits of raw meat for food. I think there’s a law against that sort of thing, isn’t there?”

Mrs Weaktea: “I believe there’s still some places in Scotland where people live like that.”

Mr Milquetoast: “Scotland?! Hahahahahaha! Oh my dear, you ARE the witty one. Nobody would want to go THERE.”

Me: “I quite like the place...”

Blank stares.

Mr Milquetoast: “Well, I suppose SOME people might go in for that sort of thing...”

Mrs Weaktea: “Jocks! Hahahahaha- poor slovenly fools. I thought they all went extinct anyway.”

Mr Milquetoast: “Not at all, there’s literally hundreds of the beggars up there! I’ve seen Sir David Attenborough do a documentary about it. They’re almost human at times."

Mrs Weaktea: “Savages. Anybody that would go to a Morrisons car park to sleep in a tent and hack up seagulls to eat is insane.”

Me: “Yes, well, I’ll be off then. Nice meeting you both.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:18 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tree surgeon can coppice. Most people who can coppice can't make a tree safe or drop a tree that is dangerous safely.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:49 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://naturalcharcoal.co.uk/about/

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:04 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stinkwheel"]https://naturalcharcoal.co.uk/about/[/quote]

BINGO!

"...where we live off-grid."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need a modest sized chainsaw (or an axe) not a billhook which is really only for thinner stuff up to about width of your arm.
Areas that have historically been coppiced have generally not been touched for at least 50 years so far more bigger material than is easy to deal with safely, unless you have some experience tree felling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:21 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add, the charcoal those guys make is really good stuff too. I've cast bronze using it.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1