0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no i won't be paying for it
100%
 100%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 25

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 31 Oct 2023    Post subject: adblock days are over - youtube getting arsey now Reply with quote

Premium is about £150 a year - are you going to pay it?

Apparently the onslaught of ads is relentless without an ad blocker. Having been running Firefox for many years now, and thus ad blocker, i can't remember a time when i had to wait for ads to play through. Looks like the party's well and truly over now though.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 10:25 - 01 Nov 2023; edited 1 time in total

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 31 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Youtube stops me using an ad blocker I just wont use it again.

It's 90% shit anyway interspersed with some genuinely good stuff.
I saw it with ads the other week when setting up a lappy, went online
and hadn't installed AB+ etc
A few seconds was enough !! fuck that shit

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 31 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got way too reliant and dependent on youtube - it can be great for reviews of gear (at least until they removed the thumbs down counter a couple of years ago - jesus f***ing christ what an absolutely sh*t idea that was), etc.

also, old interviews with film directors, authors, musicians, going back to the '50s and all the way to the present - it's incredible - stuff you never ever dreamed you'd ever get to see, it's usually there (although in recent years the search function has been all but destroyed and the introduction of 'shorts' has wrecked things even more)

also, almost any recording of a song from the past 50 years or you could ever think of is on there - for that alone it's better than spotify, apple music or bandcamp

i'll have to stump up the ackers for premium, looks like - there's just so much incredible content on there that simply can't be viewed anywhere else

i have to say though that i think i'll be in the minority - and if i am, that will surely lead to massive changes, none of which will be positive

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 31 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had warnings about ad blocking but wait a period and get access anyway. I'm betting the Youtube specific blocker I user will get updated to get around the blocks and the same for other blockers.

I use a browser plugin to manage Arsebook (FBP). It blocks ads and 'sponsored posts' and other such shite and it's excellent at it. It makes Arsebook useable.. Every so often Arsebook tweaks its code and breaks the plugin. Wait a week or two and there's a new version of it and it's business as usual. The same will happed for blockers I'm sure of that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever seen an ad they were actually interested in and clicked on? I mean for a genuine product, not some manipulative clickbait fraud.

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:53 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been paying since it was YouTube red.

I think it's awesome. I like the music app just as much.

early adopter. fuck it's not cheap anymore lol.

MercurialWarc...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:36 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox plus uBlock Origin is the way to go.
The official Reddit page has all the info: https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/

I'm personally already paying for Amazon Prime, and I'm currently watching the entirety of Columbo through Amazon's Freevee, and the ads there are certainly bad enough.

I'm also subscribed to Spotify Premium, so there's not actually that much that I would be missing out on by boycotting YouTube.

Oh, and as of yesterday, YouTube's parent company has a net worth of $1.56 trillion USD...

So aye, YouTube certainly ain't getting no extra money from me... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:22 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube (Google) can double dildo fuck themselves.
I just deleted youtube from all my devices coz they banned me again. I don't know exactly the reason but feelings must have been crimped by a comment I made.

They can do one.

Google too.

Only issue is that Google owns the key to t' Internet Universe (as we currently know it.)

Bastirts.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I've had warnings about ad blocking but wait a period and get access anyway. I'm betting the Youtube specific blocker I user will get updated to get around the blocks and the same for other blockers.

I hope you're right, but after some googling and talking with people who're far more up on this than me, it does seem like YouTube/Google are taking up the cudgels. If we were betting men, we'd surely have to back the favourite horse in the race, wouldn't we? And that has to be the most expensive steed. Like MCN says Google owns the key to the internet universe. There's nobody bigger, richer, nor with more nerds working overtime. Btw what blocker are you using?

Islander wrote:
I use a browser plugin to manage Arsebook (FBP). It blocks ads and 'sponsored posts' and other such shite and it's excellent at it. It makes Arsebook useable.. Every so often Arsebook tweaks its code and breaks the plugin. Wait a week or two and there's a new version of it and it's business as usual. The same will happed for blockers I'm sure of that.

I don't use facebook for anything other than its Messenger app thing - which can be useful. I only reluctantly signed up for it a couple of years ago because a local biker group was dependent on it. Other than that, i might browse marketplace for local cars/bikes. And that's it. The rest of Facebook, it's purpose, popularity and ubiquity, is something i've yet to grasp. It just seems to be sad c*nts photographing their breakfasts.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Has anyone ever seen an ad they were actually interested in and clicked on? I mean for a genuine product, not some manipulative clickbait fraud.

No I don't think I have, nor do I know anyone who has either.

I'd go further than that too - several steps further, in fact:

i). Although I can appreciate advertising MUST work on me at some level, I've recently had cause to try and think when the last time I was duped/cajoled/persuaded by an ad (whether in print, on telly or the internet). I honestly believe that ads aren't working on me in any simple, direct Pavlovian sort of way. So then you say, yes but that's not how ads work - it's all about brand reinforcement. However, at some point, they have to sell their sausage roll, or tin of paint, or whatever. Brands that spend a million on ads in a year HAVE to see that recouped at some point, don't they? Like, ideally the next year. Or are we saying that advertisers are so clever and effective that they're bullsh1tting the bullsh1tters? I.e. there's a meta level of advertising that advertises advertising - and it's this tier that's the most crucial.

ii). Let's assume us clever people at BCF are generally impervious to ads. For whatever reason. Perhaps we're just more sceptical, cynical, or merely slightly towards the front of the evolutionary curve. Our noggins can resist the messages of ads better than others. And I do believe this, btw. However, I also think that the bulk of humanity isn't very far behind us. And that one day, quite soon, ads won't work. Or, put it this way, they won't be worth companies spending on them - the company balance sheet won't show a rise in profitability following big spending on ads.

In other words, people will either a). get ad fatigue and just glaze over or b). humanity just evolves and becomes more ad resistant or c). that act of hitting the mute button on the remote when your favourite telly programme goes to the break - those little acts of resistance to corporate blarney - they become so common and so reflexive that, again, fewer and fewer ads are working. In fact, now that I look at points "b" and "c" I realise they're potentially the same.

iii). If ads DO stop working on us as a species, if that's not too outlandish an idea, isn't capitalism f*cked?? Doesn't the western world rely on bulls!t to operate? Or certainly, the internet might be in a bad place. After all, isn't that precisely how the internet works? Via advertising? Isn't ad revenue one of the few ways that the internet manages to continue? Answer yes - and knowing that, isn't it a miracle that it does so, given that we all mute the telly when the adverts come on? That now reflexive action, barely even conscious any more, doesn't that have consequences at a macro level??

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 17:42 - 01 Nov 2023; edited 2 times in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I just deleted youtube from all my devices coz they banned me again. I don't know exactly the reason but feelings must have been crimped by a comment I made.

Hang on a sec - you're saying you got banned from somewhere on the internet?? You??

Nah - not having it, m8. There's been a mistake. A clerical error. Some kind of digital glitch. Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MercurialWarchief wrote:
Firefox plus uBlock Origin is the way to go. The official Reddit page has all the info: https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/

...interesting...

MercurialWarchief wrote:
Oh, and as of yesterday, YouTube's parent company has a net worth of $1.56 trillion USD...

If I had a few billion knocking around, i'd simply buy up services like AdBlockPlus etc., and shut them down. Like how Songtrdr bought bandcamp recently - just hoover up the competition and let them die.

I mean, if you've got hundreds of billions swilling around, it's a wonder it's taken this long for Google/YouTube to suss out that AdBlock et al are having a big effect on profit.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw when I said adblocking is having a big effect on profits for YouTube, maybe it actually isn't.

My other theory - equally as whacky as the idea that humans have evolved special mind powers that enable them to unconsciously mute the telly by reflexively grabbing and pressing the remote, just as surely as if their leg twitched when you tap their kneecaps with a toffee hammer - my other theory is this:

That for whatever reason, YouTube ad revenue is going down (even when the use of adblock is taken into account). I appreciate that the onus is on me to prove that, and - trickier still - to explain why this might be happening. However, I do feel like the question of WHY NOW??? is just as difficult to answer. Why, why now, is YouTube finally tackling adblock.

My theory is this: Server costs. More and more and more content is being uploaded to YouTube. And a lot of it isn't just "Shorts" - although god knows youtube is REALLY pushing that tiktok influenced short format thing at the moment. No - a lot of YouTube content is like Russell Brand windbaggery. Too many people blathering on for far, far too long. Long format is what we've long come to expect from YouTube whether it's Matt at the Workshop taking an hour to tell us why he hasn't finished Isaac's ER500, or if it's Jordan Peterson banging on and on and on about how post-structuralists have got Nietzsche all wrong.

There must be server sheds in Arcola North Virginia that are as big as Doncaster purely to cope with MrBeast's channel - never mind all the millions of Itchy Boots copy cats.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been paying for it for a while. The ads are so intrusive and annoying and I use youtube more than any other streaming service by far. I don't have Netflix, disney+ etc. Just prime and youtube.

For the amount of content available, it is definitely worth it for me but I can see how people who only use it occasionally would find it expensive/bad value.

I should add that I use YT on my phone and an android TV box as well so ublock origin was only useful on my PC.

Last edited by The Artist on 09:26 - 02 Nov 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
I have been paying for it for a while. The ads are so intrusive and annoying and I use youtube more than any other streaming service by far. I don't have Netflix, disney+ etc. Just prime and youtube.

For the amount of content available, it is definitely worth it for me but I can see how people who only use it occasionally would find it expensive/bad value.

agree, and agree - same boat, basically

I would love to know how they've calculated the risk of losing more viewers (i.e. occasional users) against making serious users such as us get Premium. Wouldn't that be a knife-edge calculation??

I think my current plan is to pay for Premium for a year, get what I need from it, then ditch the entire platform. Go back to reading books bought off amazon for a quid a throw. Laughing

It'll be interesting to see how YouTube's war against tight c*nts like me affects their content at a very general level. I think it might have quite serious effects. I'm not saying it'll go the way of MySpace, but it does seem like it's doing some mad, mad sh!t since Susan Wojcicki abandoned ship. She intro'd some stupidly terrible things like binning thumbs down counters, and all manner of dire search engine tweaks (like, basically try finding those old uploads you used to love - all but gone now, thanks to searches only coughing up the latest garbage that has advertising relevance). However, Wojcicki will seem like a wholly benevolent spirit compared to what's afoot now, I think.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:08 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my adblock, and I like youtube. I'm suitably annoyed right now.

From Youtube's point of view, if I say "stuff this, I'm going"...who cares...not only did they never make money from me, I actually cost them money.

From my point of view...I add to the community with the odd comment, or recommend something to a friend.

One of these viewpoints will win, but it will likely kill the other one too.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
I like my adblock, and I like youtube. I'm suitably annoyed right now.

From Youtube's point of view, if I say "stuff this, I'm going"...who cares...not only did they never make money from me, I actually cost them money.

From my point of view...I add to the community with the odd comment, or recommend something to a friend.

One of these viewpoints will win, but it will likely kill the other one too.

Yes - that last point, interesting.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MercurialWarchief wrote:
Firefox plus uBlock Origin is the way to go.
The official Reddit page has all the info: https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/

OK - I want to go back to this because my abject waffle may have appeared to understate it.

For those thinking about trying the uBlock Origin solution, here is a quick, useful two minute youtube upload giving a few more details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhy66w5nVK0

Basically, it looks like it may be pretty viable - but you will have to remain vigilant and scout the reddit-based updates for new filters as it seems likely to be an ongoing battle on a regular basis.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ublock origin with chrome and firefox and only a few get through, but on smart TV they are making it unwatchable especially if you are on something like a concert on volume #11 and suddenly it goes to loud advert. Shocked
I have tinkered with some settings maybe on router trying to reduce them but don't think it worked.

For over two years we've had no terrestrial TV due to freeview mast catching fire (bilsdale) and having missed the years of 'conditioning' now it is back that is all unwatchable too. Laughing
Not that it was watched much before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never pay for it and I use YouTube all the time. Every other website manages to come up with an ad solution that isn't stupidly intrusive like YouTube but of course the only reason it's there is to force people into buying the subscription because the alternative is so bad.

I use firefox and had a couple of ads the other day and then they all got blocked again. I cant see them being able to circumvent the adblocks permanently.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
MCN wrote:

Hang on a sec - you're saying you got banned from somewhere on the internet?? You??

Nah - not having it, m8. There's been a mistake. A clerical error. Some kind of digital glitch. Laughing

Thanks M8, I really appreciate your support on this issue.

Wub
Very Happy

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years of free music from YT. It makes me larf when I see links below the vid window (now that my ad-blocker doesn't work) with obscene prices for songs and albums. "click click" and the MP3 is on my desktop, headed for my car-music USB stick.

Thank you YT. Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

I hope you're right, but after some googling and talking with people who're far more up on this than me, it does seem like YouTube/Google are taking up the cudgels. If we were betting men, we'd surely have to back the favourite horse in the race, wouldn't we? And that has to be the most expensive steed. Like MCN says Google owns the key to the internet universe. There's nobody bigger, richer, nor with more nerds working overtime. Btw what blocker are you using?

I use either UBlock Origin or Adblock plus depending on the device I'm using at the time.

UBlock looks to be more promising at least in the short term though.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:46 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for uBlock here. Have been using it for 2 years across a variety of ad-infested sites.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:03 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically I found a youtube video about uBlock Origin, and as long as you regularly update/reset it, it works fine. I'm using it right now after constant popups using enhancer for Youtube.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2