Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ground anchor position

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 31 Oct 2023    Post subject: Ground anchor position Reply with quote

I’m having work done in my garage and have an opportunity to install a ground anchor and the concrete slab is being cut through.

My question is where does one position it, the bike goes in the corner with wall to the front and right side (as you sit in it), should the anchor be below the wheel, to the wall side or garage side.

Wall seems the most secure but potentially awkward to use.

Above the wheel saves chain length, the wheels are stored off the ground as the bike is stored on an abbastand.

Garage side is easiest, potentially a trip hazard and easiest for a thief to get at.

So what’s the BCF opinion?

For reference I’m thinking of a Y anchor, https://yanchor.com/

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:13 - 31 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere convenient enough for you to always use it.

A ground anchor set into concrete is not worth attacking. Angle grinder on the chain is much easier.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:37 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My baby has to sleep outside on the drive. I have the ground anchor set into a concrete step. 14mm Squire chain and C-series lock to secure. I could certainly use a longer chain though. 1m does not give me enough options.

If I were to start again i'd have the ground anchor (which folds down flat) directly underneath where the bike is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be easy enough for you to use, or you wont use it, but difficult for others to get at. I'd have it under the bike with a dedicated chain for the hoop. That way you wont fiddle putting the chain through the anchor and will just lock the bike to the chain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:10 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Re: Ground anchor position Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Wall seems the most secure

Ain't nobody got time to attack a ground anchor and if they have then fuck it, let the insurance buy you a shiny new bike.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my bike now lives in my work, I thought the security would be pretty decent.

To get to the bike in the warehouse a thief would need a thermic lance to cut through the I-beam that is mounted every night in front of each bay door to stop ram-raids as there's no gaps around the sides to manoeuvre a bike and it sits high enough off the ground unless you're doing a 10-man lift, you're never picking 200kg of bike high enough to get it over it.

The alternative would be a thermic lance to cut through the steel plate roller-shutter then the electromagnetically closed steel-plate door behind it.

After that you then need to get the Roadlok off it, that means cutting off both brake calliper bolts and also a quarter of the brake disc. Then they need to either cut through the Litelok X1 on the back wheel.

I thought all of this would make it qualify at least to the safety level of a garage at someone's house but my insurance company didn't agree and told me they will price it as if it's left outside with just the Litelok on it because they don't have information on their system about Roadloks. This was BMW Motorrad insurance btw. Which still came in cheaper than anyone else on comparison sites so I just went for it.

Personally I don't see anyone going to the effort of this for a 5 year old bike.

Anyway, I would say put the anchor somewhere convenient for you. A thief isn't going to attack a ground anchor unless they brought some thermite with them. They are going to attack your chain.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:18 - 02 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Youtube watches is That Bloke on a Motorbike. I was disgusted to discover the other day that the scum of the earth sub humans stole his beloved RE Classic 350 Reborn the other night. He had it secured with a ground anchor and two chains. Not sure what quality the chains were. Nothing is sacred. These people should be nailed to a cross and left to die. The police will usually not even turn out for a motorcycle theft so this allows the parasites to act with impunity, knowing nothing will happen. Our legal system requires that we leave punishment to the authorities, but if they do nothing, they have no authority and I think that contract is broken. It is time for some Wild West Justice. It is either that, or we just accept that the worst people in society are entitled to do what they like to the rest of us. The police have largely abandoned their previous role in detecting and prosecuting crimes like fraud, burglary, shop lifting, vehicle theft and damage. They are hot on dealing with armed crime and murder = oh and trivial stuff like not taxing your car, or offending people on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP4lMMizRaI&ab_channel=Thatblokeonamotorbike

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 02 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
Stole his bike

A load of effort for a £4,000 bike Shocked

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:57 - 02 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police are not going to put big resources into preventing bike theft, unless there is a bigger crime connected - like stealing bikes to use for other crimes.

It's difficult to get decent evidence, and even more difficult to get a conviction. The thief might see jail time, but that doesn't mean they will change their ways and become a little angel. It certainly doesn't help you if your bike is nicked, they aren't going to have any money.

Also, bikes are generally insured for theft, so the financial loss is around £500 - £1000.

Good security will reduce the likelihood of your bike being stolen. Insurance will cover you when it is stolen.

Ranting about thieves and police isn't going to achieve anything.
Society is not going to magically improve so you don't have to worry about bike theft.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with regards to bike security and insurance.
If you state you use a bike security device in your statement of fact you must use it.

If its lifted from your normal storage parking spot and they deduce that your stated security was not in place, you may be penalised for that too.

The 'discount' offered for stating additional security measures is sometimes not of any great value if using the measure is inconvenient.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 16 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably too late but the anchor should go as close to a corner as possible while still being in secure concrete and between the front wheel and the wall all to make it as hard as possible to attack.

I find D locks work well with ground anchors but thick chains are better security just harder to manhandle.
The chain should be left permanently in the ground anchor so you just have to put it through the wheel when locking the bike. Easier it is, more likely you will use it.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Probably too late but the anchor should go as close to a corner as possible while still being in secure concrete and between the front wheel and the wall all to make it as hard as possible to attack.

I find D locks work well with ground anchors but thick chains are better security just harder to manhandle.
The chain should be left permanently in the ground anchor so you just have to put it through the wheel when locking the bike. Easier it is, more likely you will use it.

Really good advice, just wanted to add that if someone is using a big beefy chain, the lock also needs to be equally beefy since scrotes are going to attack the weakest point in any set-up. No point having mighty 22mm shackle chain if it's held closed by a lock with a 16mm shackle.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1