Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Waterproof over clothing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:09 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Waterproof over clothing Reply with quote

Morning All,

A new job means my commute will be getting a bit longer so I will need some new waterproof gear, my current Alipinestars Andes stuff is now a bit leaky after about 8 years of service. I’ll be replacing it after Christmas but need something to see me through the next couple of months.

Is the Richa rain warrior jacket and trousers still the best option for waterproof over clothing?

Cheers

Jon

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Re: Waterproof over clothing Reply with quote

JonE wrote:
Morning All,

A new job means my commute will be getting a bit longer so I will need some new waterproof gear, my current Alipinestars Andes stuff is now a bit leaky after about 8 years of service. I’ll be replacing it after Christmas but need something to see me through the next couple of months.

Is the Richa rain warrior jacket and trousers still the best option for waterproof over clothing?

Cheers

Jon

For past three years I've been doing winter commuting and I used to go for dedicated biking waterproofs but the hassle of getting geared up then all off again at the work end then getting it back on again for going home was a fucking nightmare.

I ended up just putting waterproof overall trousers I got out screwfix over my normal work trousers and then my Richa jacket I normally wear on top anyway. Just wore longer boots than the ankle height alpinestars that I wear during spring/summer.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting an ex police surplus waterproof jacket on ebay if you don't mind the look. They are about £25 and are gortex so it's really good for the price. I think biker specific waterproofs are super overpriced for what you get.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter WTF you wear. It needs a place to dry between riding events.
Is there a place to dry the wets at the new work place?

It could be the biggest setback/hurdle.

Whatever you do, avoid budget stuff. It doesn't perform and won't last.

Congratulations on the new job.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:05 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rukka PVC jackets, trousers and 1 piece suits used to be the best out there. Not sure they still make it though.

Just checked ebay and holy fuck the prices people are charging for Used Rukka raingear!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314781282377

Aldi did a rain jacket made of very similar material. I've been using one for years now, it's just starting to leak at some of the seams which I can probably sort out with some rocktape. Found a new one on ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314191592505

Also found a bigger one for cheaper but no link because I just bought it.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Also found a bigger one for cheaper but no link because I just bought it.

I'm tempted by this one..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314226762165? Smile

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:12 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Re: Waterproof over clothing Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I ended up just putting waterproof overall trousers I got out screwfix over my normal work trousers and then my Richa jacket I normally wear on top anyway. Just wore longer boots than the ankle height alpinestars that I wear during spring/summer.

I use waterproof, hi-vis jacket and trousers provided by work. Over the top of my 'waterproof' textiles. Works ok but does get a little toasty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I'm tempted by this one..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314226762165? Smile

The dast stains though Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Richa Reply with quote

Yes. The Richa waterproof stuff is good. I wear it over my Atlantic goretex jacket. Trousers good too as they have a drawstring to help holding them up. Also the velcro at the bottom is better than the zips (on my old oxford ones) coz when cold and wet the zips are cunts.

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 05 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size are you as I've got a 3XL worn once Richa Typhoon over suit sitting unused in the cupboard.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GQJGRBO/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:32 - 06 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford over jacket, boots and trousers. Cheap, work, job done. Last multiple seasons.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:19 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to wear a cheap set of throwover waterproofs when not wearing textiles.

However, due to the appalling rain at last years Dragon Rally, I now use an Oxford Rainseal throwover jacket that also covers the cuffs of my Gerbing Gloves. I found that non motorcycling throw overs weren't big enough to go over the motorcycle jacket - or at least very difficult to find and not easy to pack away. Whilst my Bering Balistik Laminated textiles were almost excellent (leaked slightly around the zip at the belly) it's no fun walking around in still damp outer clothing when you can just remove the throwovers.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:31 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have commuted to work on the bike the last 6 days as car is broken.

Re-assessing the meaning of the word 'waterproof'!

My waterproof, touring boots arent even shower proof. Gloves same.

My textiles aren't too bad but the trousers leak around my lap area after 30 mins heavy rain on the motorway.

Helmets shite. Fogs up soon as a cold raindrop hits it.

Yellow waterproof set from work though hasnt let me down yet (but not very comfortable).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:47 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

The newer sealskinz socks are great, it's like wearing wellies under your boots.

Bar muffs are also great. Or a pair of those big black janitors rubber gloves over your normal ones for heavy downpours. They are fantastic because they pretty much seal over your jacket sleeves too.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never known anything to be truly waterproof, I have used plastic bags inside boots, Rubber gloves inside normal gloves or have taken a spare pair for the ride home, I've used fisherman's gear over normal bike gear for that extra layer, I use neck tubes and take spare to try and stop the water getting through the top of my jacket. I've even taken a little heater into work to help dry my gear during the day.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:22 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I've never known anything to be truly waterproof, I have used plastic bags inside boots, Rubber gloves inside normal gloves or have taken a spare pair for the ride home, I've used fisherman's gear over normal bike gear for that extra layer, I use neck tubes and take spare to try and stop the water getting through the top of my jacket. I've even taken a little heater into work to help dry my gear during the day.

I garauntee these gloves are waterproof. They are a bit fatiguing to wear over normal gloves though so i only use them if it's epic biblical monsoon weather.

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/konig-heavyweight-rubber-gauntlet.html

On a similar theme, these were all the rage at one point for your feet. I will say removing them is a 2-man job.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265246245845

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:33 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
DaddyStu wrote:

The newer sealskinz socks are great, it's like wearing wellies under your boots.

Bar muffs are also great. Or a pair of those big black janitors rubber gloves over your normal ones for heavy downpours. They are fantastic because they pretty much seal over your jacket sleeves too.

I do have a few pairs of sealskins from my mtb days - probably not waterproof anymore but they do keep your toes toasty.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:38 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I've even taken a little heater into work to help dry my gear during the day.

I have 2 large heaters and an oven I use for that task in work... using them now actually. Dial the oven down to 50degC - gets the job done.

I do have full one-piece fluoro green fishermans waterproofs but it becomes trade off then for me between comfort and dampness.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:22 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

I do have a few pairs of sealskins from my mtb days - probably not waterproof anymore but they do keep your toes toasty.

The new ones are great, no plastic baggy layer in the middle and a wicking lining.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule No. 01 when it comes to staying dry.

If you seal out water from outside you seal water on the inside too.

Water is a poor insulator when compared to air.

Sweat condenses on the cool inner surface of a waterproof layer and helps heat to escape.

It's the recipe for miserable.

Waterproof clothing must be breathable if you going g to be wearing it for an hour long commute.

It's not too noticeable when the climate is in the high singles but lower than 4°Centipede and you'll soon feel like giving up biking.

That shite was OK in the olden days when we didn't have the comfort of Goretex et al.

All my bike gear has Gortex lining. Except a short leather jacket and leather troos.

I hate cold-wet.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:16 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is breathable when it's raining. A breathable fabric still needs a humidity gradient to work across. 100% humidity, there's nowhere for it to breathe to.

Anyway, as fortnine recently expounded and as I've suspected for a long time. Gore tex is shite. If it lets moisture out, it's going to let moisture in. If it doesn't let moisture out then what's it for? I stopped using gore tex years ago after being soaked through in it on several successive dragon rallies. I use PVC/vinyl stuff to be waterproof and I put it on/zip it up when it's raining. I use a wool base layer to remain dry and comfortable because wool needs to absorb 30% of its weight in water to feel wet.

Before anyone says "Oh, you need to tech-wash your gore-tex gear because it gets muck in the pores and that's why it leaks." I will pre-emptively riposte that that makes it useless for use on a motorcycle in the UK because if it's raining, you are also being deluged with road spray which is full of grot and diesel.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:46 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nothing is breathable when it's raining. A breathable fabric still needs a humidity gradient to work across. 100% humidity, there's nowhere for it to breathe to.

Anyway, as fortnine recently expounded and as I've suspected for a long time. Gore tex is shite.

Viddy'd that vid too. Obvious really - cant breathe if theres feck-all air to breathe. Just more expensive stuff designed to take peoples hard-earned.

I'm supergluing all the seams on my touring boots atm. Probably do more harm than good but it looks so shiny!

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:48 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up with expensive gear too. It simply doesn't work on long wet journeys. A drop liner textile cordura outfit (or leathers in summer) with a PVC oversuit works for me. The textile is OK for light rain and showers but when it's stair rods the PVC gear stops the textile becoming saturated.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gortex is 100% more comfortable than a yellow oilskins and a soowester.

The fabric is more conforming than pvc, which aids mobility.

Gortex allows vapour to pass but not droplets. That's the theory.
Bodies give off vapour.

Anyway, people can wear whatever they are happy with.

I wore plastic waterproofs for years in all weathers at work.

I'm fuking done with that now.

And I did say in a previous post everything eventually gets wet.

Science based of not.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used cheap(ish) polyurethane waterproofs for years of hour+ commuting. Separate jacket and trousers. They normally last a few years. Trousers get replaced when they leak at the crotch. Jackets last longer, but eventually crack around the shoulders and chest.

I buy them big to fit over textiles, but also wear them over leathers or civvies if necessary.

I tend to try and buy Flexothane Classic items from a Swedish company called Sioen, but any PU waterpfroofs should do the job. Tough, slightly stretchy and very effective. They don't pack down tiny, but not bad.

They do lots of fancy lined items, but I always get unlined.

Oh, I just saw they do arse-less chaps if you're that way inclined. Laughing

https://static.sioenapparel.com/img/full/4570_A41___SIR.png
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2