Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More Sur-Ron Morons

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 13 Nov 2023    Post subject: More Sur-Ron Morons Reply with quote

Illegal e-motorbike riders 'goading' police, force says

A conflicting article. On the one hand communities are blighted by these things but on the other, when the yobs get taken out by the Police, the same communities come out in protest Rolling Eyes

If you think back to your youth...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnc_RWC2ipSVbRix1ex4QOMlwND-IKoy4dIA&usqp=CAU

...I'd imagine a fair few forum frequenters would be tearing about the woods on little 2-strokes and having enormous fun. To me this looks like the same behaviour transposed to an urban environment.

Apparently one lad interviewed has had 4 bikes taken off him by the Police. Considering these e-bikes cost three bags or more where the fuck are these kids getting that sort of cash from? Shotting doesn't pay that well. Follow the money?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:24 - 13 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need a magistrate on board so they can follow the little fuckers back to wherever they parked it with a drone, get a quick search warrant and take the bike away. They already have to power to seize untaxed/Insured vehicles which have been used on the road. As far as I'm aware, they do need a warrant to enter a home to seize it and that's the part of the equation that needs to be streamlined.

I'd envision it as they follow one home remotely, call the magistrate, upload him the CCTV of it being used illegally and entering a premesis (which probably only needs to be abouit 30 seconds of footage. Bike on road, going into house). He authorises the warrant and they immediately jump in and take it away. Yes sir, you can come and collect it from the impound lot when you present your tax and insurance certificate.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 13 Nov 2023    Post subject: Re: More Sur-Ron Morons Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

If you think back to your youth...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnc_RWC2ipSVbRix1ex4QOMlwND-IKoy4dIA&usqp=CAU

...I'd imagine a fair few forum frequenters would be tearing about the woods on little 2-strokes and having enormous fun. To me this looks like the same behaviour transposed to an urban environment.

Big difference from racing round some woods to doing it on busy urban roads though. We all know who would get the blame if one of the little darlings gets totalled by a driver. If I had crashed when racing round said woods the worst that could have happened is a tree got damaged.

Didn't we have the same sort of thing happening with scooter thugs not wearing helmets so they wouldn't be chased? The police decided 'fuck it' and took them out anyway. I don't see why they can't do the same with these on the roads. If they go dirt tracking like we used to? fine, let them carry on but i suspect half the fun to them is winding up the police secure in the knowledge their hands are tied.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:24 - 19 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/lflA37Z.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=724935959655338&set=a.361166402698964

https://i.imgur.com/kxu86oH.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=669634171970793&set=pb.100067726495507.-2207520000&type=3

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:15 - 19 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-bikes and e-scooters can be a real help in reducing traffic, helping those on low incomes (and the rest of us) get about ... but they also get abused by certain sections of society and get a bad rap as a result.

We are supposedly heading for a climate melt down, our cities are polluted and jammed with traffic but it's still illegal you use your own scooter to get about. The government want to encourage us to get out of our cars yet if you lock up your e-bike (or normal bike) outside work in London there is a pretty good chance it wont be there when you finish work.

It used to be that if you used something which was illegal to get about on the police turned a blind eye unless you behaved like a twat. These things now have a poor public perception due to antisocial use by twats and plod not just stops and punishes everyone. Its a lot easier to set up a check point and stop users behaving responsibly than it is to catch and punish those who nick e bikes, motorcycles and scooters or ride them in an antisocial way.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 19 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs to me that po po would benefit from adding some high powered EMP rifles to their arsenal.

Last edited by recman on 17:00 - 19 Nov 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:58 - 19 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:
e-bikes and e-scooters can be a real help in reducing traffic, helping those on low incomes (and the rest of us) get about ... but they also get abused by certain sections of society and get a bad rap as a result.

Sur-rons are a bit more than e-bikes, they have the power and speed of a 125 and more.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side I wonder if the MOWP* rates have dropped Thinking

*Making off without payment

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:26 - 19 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:

It used to be that if you used something which was illegal to get about on the police turned a blind eye unless you behaved like a twat. These things now have a poor public perception due to antisocial use by twats and plod not just stops and punishes everyone. Its a lot easier to set up a check point and stop users behaving responsibly than it is to catch and punish those who nick e bikes, motorcycles and scooters or ride them in an antisocial way.

Simple solution, get it road registered, get a licence, insure it and ride it legally. Money clearly isn't the issue for sur ron riders, the things cost more than I have ever paid for a motorcycle.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 19 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:
It used to be that if you used something which was illegal to get about on the police turned a blind eye unless you behaved like a twat.

Like what?

I remember in my teens a panda car turning round to tell me off for riding a bicycle no-handed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:50 - 19 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I remember in my teens a panda car turning round to tell me off for riding a bicycle no-handed.

I got told off for riding a pushbike on the pavement when I was 8. I lived along a busy main road.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:

It used to be that if you used something which was illegal to get about on the police turned a blind eye unless you behaved like a twat.

Rubbish. What was illegal and the police turned a blind eye to in the past.

Nowadays they do. I see illegal scooters many times every day. I also see electric pushbikes that well exceed 15 mph that are obviously ignored.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:56 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Nute wrote:

Nowadays they do. I see illegal scooters many times every day. I also see electric pushbikes that well exceed 15 mph that are obviously ignored.

Not rubbish at all. Until the “clamp down” by plod you could ride an escooter or an EUC around London with no problems as long as you weren’t behaving like an idiot or riding on the pavement.

As these things are technically illegal they cannot be registered as road vehicles or insured. The rest of Europe has come to a conclusion on these things 3-5 years ago, either legalising them or doing so assuming they meet certain criteria, but not the UK.

You see them used every day but those doing so risk being stopped and 6 points /£300 fine, and it’s happened to a lot of people.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris recently banned electric scooters.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:

Not rubbish at all. Until the “clamp down” by plod you could ride an escooter or an EUC around London with no problems as long as you weren’t behaving like an idiot or riding on the pavement.

As these things are technically illegal they cannot be registered as road vehicles or insured. The rest of Europe has come to a conclusion on these things 3-5 years ago, either legalising them or doing so assuming they meet certain criteria, but not the UK.

You see them used every day but those doing so risk being stopped and 6 points /£300 fine, and it’s happened to a lot of people.

Well maybe the back-lash against e-scooters has already started, Paris have recently banned them due to the dangers they pose

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66682673

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Christ, I thought you were talking about the past, not last week. Rolling Eyes

The only reason the plod ignored e scooters (and still do) is that if they pulled everyone they see that's illegal they'd never do anything else in the next twenty years so they have days where they set up blocks and pull them then ignore it for the next year or so.

Even legal hire e scooters which you are meant to have a licence for seem to be ridden by kids most of the time so parents or friends must have unlocked them. Anyway, working on your principle shouldn't anyone be allowed to ride a motorbike illegally as long as they aren't acting the prat?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute, do you and your peers, live in caravans, talk funny and collect non-ferous for income?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:31 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sur rons can be bought as road legal versions that can be insured and registered, taxed and MOTed.
People riding them illegally are just criminals, much the same as if I were riding my bike without MOT, isurance and Tax.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:47 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clamp down to which I referred was a few years back, maybe 2021…

I used to take my EUC in the boot of the car when going to work in London, park my car at the first job and then just use that to get about. Too much risk of 6 points now though, so I drive everywhere.

When they first started pulling illegal riders they went through a few months of just warning people that it was illegal, then seizing whatever it was you were riding and giving out points.

These things don’t belong on the pavement, should have lights, battery’s that don’t spontaneously combust, you should need at least a provisional licence and they should be limited to the same speed as an e-bike or there abouts.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:51 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Paris recently banned electric scooters.

No, they haven’t, they have banned rental scooters. Privately owned ones are still perfectly legal to own/ use.

It’s the rental ones which get left littered around the pavements or chucked in the river. If you own one you are less likely to leave it laying about and if you are sensible to wear a helmet.

I don’t own one by the way, I’ve only ever ridden a rental one once and it was an awful experience.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:54 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sur Rons are not ebikes or escooters but fully fledged motorbikes, with huge acceleration. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:55 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Nute, do you and your peers, live in caravans, talk funny and collect non-ferous for income?

Yeah n oi like dags…

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:59 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Sur Rons are not ebikes or escooters but fully fledged motorbikes, with huge acceleration. You are comparing apples and oranges.

I’m not comparing anything with Sur Ron’s, you bought them up, I didn’t. As you say, if you want one get it taxed and use it legally.

E bikes come in all sorts of flavours, come to that you can buy e-scooters which will do 50mph but you’d need to be certifiably insane to do it. Or maybe it would just be Darwin in action.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:

Good. It's not happened to enough of them.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:06 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I’m not comparing anything with Sur Ron’s, you bought them up, I didn’t.

Have you looked at the name of this thread?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2