Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Minsk 125. CCCP era 2-stroke commuter of the people.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:05 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:

Annoying re the kickstart, whats run in like for this?

As far as i can make iut, it's take it reasonably easy for 200 miles while running it on a higher premix ration (20:1). Then de-coke it, throw away the head gasket and drop the premix back to 25:1.

Made it to the dragon rally this weekend and I've done my 200 miles. It ran as expected, I was topping out at about 45mph, the thing is dog slow. It ran really well the whole way and perfect weather for the job, single digit air temperature with a constant high humidity so plenty of charge cooling effect and high air density.

There is an odd "misss" which it does in top gear only at exactly 36mph and only the first time you pass that speed after hooking 4th. I think it may be some oddity of the gearbox alignment. Oher than that, it never missed a beat, starts 3rd kick and runs like a sewing machine. The speedo shat the bed already which was not entirely unexpected and both shocks have leaked their oil out but given they are nearly 30 years old and have spent more than 20 sitting in a shed, I'll let them off.

It was running noticeably better on the way home, climbing hills better especially. Once the premix is dropped down and the compression is bumped up by the head gasket removal, it should find a bit more power. I can have a fiddle with the timing too and see if that'll dial in a bit better. Oh, and it's weeping a little oil past the gearbox cover which is unsurirising since I removed it and refitted it with the old gasket and in something of a rush.

I think the voltage delivery is really dirty, I'm going to have a look out for an oscilloscope, I've been wanting one for a bit. I suspect the reg/rec is not everything it should be, the electronic flasher relay had a tantrum a couple of times.

Overall very pleased. It's been a hell of a shakedown run and it's been to two rallies loaded up with camping gear already.

Got my pint off Virus.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Got my pint off Virus.

Good to catch up dude, curious to see how much more top end you get out of her with the head gasket removal and the premix change.

Also I still think it looks hilariously small next to you Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Overall very pleased. It's been a hell of a shakedown run and it's been to two rallies loaded up with camping gear already.

Got my pint off Virus.

Hats off- bloody good effort.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:50 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
As far as i can make iut, it's take it reasonably easy for 200 miles while running it on a higher premix ration (20:1). Then de-coke it, throw away the head gasket and drop the premix back to 25:1.

Is that running without the gasket entirely at that point. Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

I agree though, it looks comically small compared.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:02 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:

Is that running without the gasket entirely at that point. Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

Yes, just throw it in the bin and run the head directly on the spigot.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well really!
You'd think he'd at least wear a tie to these social events
Makes you wonder what end of the social scale these people belong..

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=106648

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, Scotts habit of wearing a vibrant hawaiian shirt really helps find him in a crowd on account of not looking like every other big bloke with a jacket and waistcoat Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:07 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Well really!
You'd think he'd at least wear a tie to these social events
Makes you wonder what end of the social scale these people belong..

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=106648

I was wearing a pair of black tracksuit bottoms with white stripes up the legs as befits the origins of the bike but they had got heavily muddy from walking up the camping field and, frankly, it was too hot. I was genuinely wearing a hawaiian shirt and floppy hat because they were appropriate for the weather conditions at the time. It got chillier once the sun went down mind.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:52 - 13 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need my praise, but as a mostly silent follower of this thread since november I'm pretty impressed you went out on a run and got back ok already, all this from some bits in boxes a few months ago. Nice job.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:48 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd have a look at the electrics today. Did a static test of the coil windings which gave an equal resistance to earth on both sides and an acceptable coil resistance between the two.

Static unregulated output was sitting at about 25VAC at idle.

On my analogue meter, the regulated output was a slight waver up and down at around the 14V point as you'd expect. I tried it with the digital meter and it was absolutely all over the place, couldn't settle on a reading and was flickering up into the 100+V range then back down again. Tried it on AC and it was also giving a wildly fluctuating reading.

I think the reg/rec is junk. I managed to score a used YZFR1 reg/rec on ebay for £35 which is a shendingen mosfet type (FH16 I think) and the proper connectors on amazon for £7.50. I think this will be a good starter for 10, see what it does with that. Even if more needs doing, it's not wrong to have it.

Also scored a pair of used shocks off somethingorother for £35. They look right and the dimensions are correct. Seller had no idea what they were off either so it's down to a lottery if the spring rate is in the right ballpark. Only bikes I've seen with shocks this length are either 125s or harleys and they certainly aren't beefy enough for a harley. The springs are progressive which is probably a good thing for my weight on a tiny bike.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to see what's exactly what on forum posts
and I miss stuff anyway
but have you got each coil grounded one side and tother's going to the RR?
if so that would be 2 half waves and a bit spiky I reckon

I'd probably first have tried lifting both wires from each coil and joined them in the middle as one connection ( no connections to ground)
then used that and each of the free end wires to connect into a common
3 phase bike RR

maybe you already did that, dunno

just did a quick scrawl on the white-ish board
i'd have tried the bottom version first

https://imgur.com/FbvcSTB.jpg[/img]

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:37 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Difficult to see what's exactly what on forum posts
and I miss stuff anyway
but have you got each coil grounded one side and tother's going to the RR?
if so that would be 2 half waves and a bit spiky I reckon

I'd probably first have tried lifting both wires from each coil and joined them in the middle as one connection ( no connections to ground)
then used that and each of the free end wires to connect into a common
3 phase bike RR

maybe you already did that, dunno

just did a quick scrawl on the white-ish board
i'd have tried the bottom version first

https://imgur.com/FbvcSTB.jpg[/img]

It's a wee bit more spohisticated than that. There are two output wires but multiple coils/windings in a star pattern, 8 in total but I think the top one is for the spark because it's associated with the hall effect sensor. Both wires do connect to earth (I checked, equal resistance) then feed into a standard single phase shunt type reg/rec.

Something to go at though. I think it should be possible to lift the earths (green wires) as long as I can work out which are to the charging coil and which are to the ignition. I'd have thought with that many coil stacks, output should be relatively clean. It's not dis-similar to the setup on the lucas alternator on my enfield which runs LEDs fine. I'm deeply suspicious of this reg/rec so I'll try swapping that out first which is a very easy job and see how it flies. If no beans, I'll have a poke at the stator.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ABLVV87tzr7JuF1r8drV345xeP0KBsFlKTznGpCNXIKjhRpPCijaRDo1ENBk782EJ6uF4dA9sRQslnkl-HEbMfsXuY5f8rHvvvGiOcuELjx6U7QlLqop8k5EhscmkFAF7jDXPTQ_YN3zViYUW5fTda--UY57=w1547-h870-s-no
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7