Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda VT500E Trip miles reset knob - which way?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

tranx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:12 - 29 Nov 2023    Post subject: Honda VT500E Trip miles reset knob - which way? Reply with quote

New to me is a VT500EF which has a (rotary?) knob on the dashboard for resetting the trip-miles.

The previous owner said it was stiff but did work, but the knob is worn and very stiff so I don't want to force it in the wrong direction.

So my question is: in which direction does it operate to reset the trip meter, clockwise or anticlockwise, please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 29 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess - clockwise (if ithe knobs on the LHS)

The numbers usually realign in the 'normal' working mode of rotation

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

tranx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:04 - 29 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
my guess - clockwise (if ithe knobs on the LHS)

The numbers usually realign in the 'normal' working mode of rotation
That was most useful, thank you.

There is a degree of axial play, which seems to alter the feel of things when the button is either pushed or pulled while twisting it. You did not refer to this but could you confirm that it is unlikely to be relevant?

I have in mind that once, on a cbr400rr, it was surprising that the stop light switch could so easily be disassembled for cleaning, and especially that I could get it back together, and working.

The reset still won't budge, and I guess this is more tricky than a stop switch. Lack of expertise makes me worried about too much fiddling so, before I have a go, could you say something about how these workings are arranged and how accessible and repairable they might be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:11 - 29 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some silicone spray and a 24h wait might be a better idea?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 30 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn it forward. Cool

tranx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:28 - 01 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Turn it forward. Cool
Thanks for the confirmation - after trying penetrating lubricant, it still will not budge

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:50 - 01 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticlockwise using molegrips.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 01 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Turn it forward. Cool

Errm yeah, possibly that way too.. Embarassed

BTW does it have to be depressed or pulled out then turned like a watch?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

tranx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:43 - 18 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Turn it forward. Cool
That seems to be right because I got a spare speedo which has the reset knob sprung anticlockwise i.e. backwards. That's unlike the one installed which has no bias and is just sloppy, so swapping speedos seems like the way to go.

Next is to replace the coolant and on some VT500 diagrams there appears to be a cap on the overflow tank, which is beneath the air filter/filter box, but can't find one on mine ('1987 EF'). Is there one?
or maybe when the cold rad has been filled, and topped up when all the air has come out, it will displace the right amount automatically into the overflow when it heats up?

So far have changed the oil & filter/transmission oil, lubricated cables, and it starts easily and runs smoothly. Gearbox and clutch are smooth and easy, with no noticeable play in the driveline. Suspension, seat, and riding position are very comfy except that foot pegs seem unnecessarily high.

Torque is good from 3000rpm and it seems to like revving, with redline at 9500. Haven't risked motorway yet but guess it will be happy at 70 in the high 6th gear. It's already perfect for shopping but can't find any panniers for it, or saddle bags to go under the seat...

tranx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:59 - 01 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a spare panel apart to see how the speedo works. The tiny screw which holds the knob to the shaft was easy to remove after all, being finger tight. Then the whole speedo could easily be removed from the inner panel with just two screws.

To reset the trip miles:-

1. turn the trip knob clockwise, against the light return spring.

2. while holding it rotated, push the knob in, which sets the trip to zero.

By default the knob is held 'out' by a light spring and a rubber sleeve on its shaft, when it cannot be pushed in because of a stop plate.

Rotating the knob clockwise allows a tag on its shaft to pass the stop, so it can be pushed 'in' to move a row of connecting gears away from the mile-counting rollers, each of which is sprung to return to zero.

On the bike this action was not obvious because the shaft to which the knob is attached was a bit gummed up.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1