Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A choice of systems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: A choice of systems Reply with quote

Reading the 'what games are you playing' thread there seem to be some cracking games I'd like to give a go. The trouble being my archaic laptop wouldn'd pull the skin off a rice pudding graphics wise although it does fine with my day to day stuff so....

Would you recommend a gaming laptop or desktop which I would guess will set me back the best part of a grand or would buying an XBox or Playstation (about £500?)and keep my old laptop serve my puropse for gaming? That is obviously cheaper but are the games machines limited? I know nothing about them as my last games consul used to play ping pong!

Most of my coputer use is internet or office so I don't need anything special for that.

My inclination is to go for a gaming computer because i presume some games are for the xbox and some for the PS.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:21 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desktops are easier to upgrade etc. and you'll typicallly get more bang for your bulk than a laptop.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on what space you have available. If you have a proper office area with a desk then the desktop PC gives you the best long term value.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:09 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the most performance from a desktop PC built for gaming. You can also spend a huge amount, and have to vaguely know what you're doing (or ask someone who does) to buy the right bits.

The latest version of xbox or playstation will come close, at a set price. The performance is still incredible, the differences tend to be around whether a game runs at 60 or 120 frames per second, or if it's in 1080P or 4k. Either will look very sharp and very smooth, unless you know what you're looking for and have the eyes and screen to notice.

Some games are xbox or playstation exclusive. I don't know how this translates for PC gaming. I assume some games are PC exclusive.

Much like with bikes, for some people this is their life and the tiny differences matter. Personally, I just play games sometimes, so I have a laptop and a switch for modern stuff. That said, I will buy something more powerful when GTA6 comes out, either an xbox or the next steam deck.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
That said, I will buy something more powerful when GTA6 comes out, either an xbox or the next steam deck.

I must admit GTA6 has caught my eye as well although there are quite a few other modern games I would like to try without them seeming to be running in treacle!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unreal Engine 5 is turning out to be a bit of a beast, judging from the various tech demos I've seen on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/ELHpwYKa9tw

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Robby wrote:
That said, I will buy something more powerful when GTA6 comes out, either an xbox or the next steam deck.

I must admit GTA6 has caught my eye as well although there are quite a few other modern games I would like to try without them seeming to be running in treacle!

Who are you and what have you done with Polarbear??? Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember: all just pixels...

https://usagif.com/wp-content/uploads/gify/gta-6-girl-twerking-on-top-car-usagif.gif

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Who are you and what have you done with Polarbear??? Laughing

Why! I'm just bored with playing Civ2 and Heroes of might and Magic 3. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:52 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want a bit of casual gaming a PS5 or Xbox would be your best bet.

Esp if gta6 tickles you (in 2025...) and that's from a pc gamer. I spent about 2k on my current pc and given my current list of games an Xbox would have been fine. I just can't use controllers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have both pc and console. id go console for gaming only. plug and play is so much simpler.
PS tends to have more exclusives but Xbox has game pass which gives you dozens of games for a sub.

beware the new Xbox s is not as powerful as the x.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:26 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until GTA6 is released, then buy one step down from all the top of the range components. You'll then have half a chance of running it. If you buy now, the chances of it being able to run a game 2 years out is very slim indeed. I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card, but I won't until we have PC specs for VI.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no regrets upgrading my desktop system. There's absolutely nothing in gaming at the moment that can faze it (but I'm only running 1080p.) I'm also grateful for the reliability. My old system would fail to wake up or even power up some times Sad

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:06 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upscaling software nowadays is getting decent. You can for example play a game at 720p yet have it render at 1080p with very little discernible difference in image quality. When GTAVI comes out many folk will be using such GPU features so they dont have to upgrade.

I have to throw a little bit of this magic in myself if I want to play Cyberpunk with Ray Tracing on.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:33 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
The upscaling software nowadays is getting decent. You can for example play a game at 720p yet have it render at 1080p with very little discernible difference in image quality. When GTAVI comes out many folk will be using such GPU features so they dont have to upgrade.

I have to throw a little bit of this magic in myself if I want to play Cyberpunk with Ray Tracing on.

That's because the real world difference between 720p and 1080p is minimal. It's 4k that you'll need some power for. I hate to say it as everything I have is geared for 1080p right now, but 4k is going to be the way forward. I'd be surprised if VI is not coded entirely for native 4k.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy both a PS5 and Xbox Series X (or whatever the top of the range is) and it'll still cost less than a graphics card for a gaming PC.

When people used to ask me what laptop/PC should they get for Christmas to play games on my response was always just get a console.

PC is for serious gamers imo*, if you don't already have one you aren't a serious gamer.

*I imaging a choice of either someone with about 20 monitors learning to fly planes into buildings or someone in a black hoodie in their mom's basement.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Buy both a PS5 and Xbox Series X (or whatever the top of the range is) and it'll still cost less than a graphics card for a gaming PC.

When people used to ask me what laptop/PC should they get for Christmas to play games on my response was always just get a console.

PC is for serious gamers imo*, if you don't already have one you aren't a serious gamer.

*I imaging a choice of either someone with about 20 monitors learning to fly planes into buildings or someone in a black hoodie in their mom's basement.

What graphics card are you buying that costs that much? Not anywhere near true unless you are buying the absolute best card Laughing I bought a new one a few months ago, a 6700xt and it was around £350. Has no problems running the latest games at pretty good settings either.

It all depends what you like to play I think, just have a look at what each has and see what appeals to you. PC does seem to have most of the xbox games too. I play PC because I like to mod games and I hate using a controller. I play a lot of older games too and it's nice being able to play a 15 year old game without digging out an old system.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

What graphics card are you buying that costs that much? Not anywhere near true unless you are buying the absolute best card Laughing I bought a new one a few months ago, a 6700xt and it was around £350. Has no problems running the latest games at pretty good settings either.

It all depends what you like to play I think, just have a look at what each has and see what appeals to you. PC does seem to have most of the xbox games too. I play PC because I like to mod games and I hate using a controller. I play a lot of older games too and it's nice being able to play a 15 year old game without digging out an old system.

I'm obviously more out of touch with PC components than I thought, ok graphics card = console cost, you still need to buy all the rest by which time you could own both consoles.

(I did check a local shop and the majority were about £350-500 but there were still a decent amount at nearly £1000, one is £1900 Shocked )

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

What graphics card are you buying that costs that much?

My 4080 was £1200.

Embarassed

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:30 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

That's because the real world difference between 720p and 1080p is minimal. It's 4k that you'll need some power for. I hate to say it as everything I have is geared for 1080p right now, but 4k is going to be the way forward. I'd be surprised if VI is not coded entirely for native 4k.

Yes you're likely right on the direction of things. Bigger, better, more - seems to be the natural human consumer-drive. For me personally, i'm sat 2 feet from my screen so 1080p is fine, quad likely optimal (might get one soon), 4k is overkill . My 2 side monitors are actually only 720p - used for browsing, downloading, typing this message etc.

Dont want to even imagine the size of games when coded for native 4k and made with the latest unreal engine. 1TB a game is probably a conservative estimate - we'll need a different storage solution, possibly cloud-based.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:43 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Yes you're likely right on the direction of things. Bigger, better, more - seems to be the natural human consumer-drive. For me personally, i'm sat 2 feet from my screen so 1080p is fine, quad likely optimal (might get one soon), 4k is overkill . My 2 side monitors are actually only 720p - used for browsing, downloading, typing this message etc.

Dont want to even imagine the size of games when coded for native 4k and made with the latest unreal engine. 1TB a game is probably a conservative estimate - we'll need a different storage solution, possibly cloud-based.

You can still sit 2 feet from a 4k screen but because the resolution is higher, the screen area can be commensurately higher without you noticing the pixels. I can definitely see the benefit of it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the conseus for a computer numpty like me is a console. That's fine, I'm not surprised but which should I go for, an xbox or a Playstation? Is it just down to seeing which has more of the sort of games I prefer or is there other differences? I presume from quick seaching on Amazon it seems like comparable machines are comparable prices.

Plus I would need a monitor as well. Do I need a 4k one for a console or just a 1080?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Sheldon couldn't decide that one.

If it helps we got a Switch.

drkbishop
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a PS5, Switch OLED and Xbox Series S (Did have the X)

PS5 gets most use at the moment, loads of decent exclusives like The Last of Us.

Xbox is ok with Gamepass, but can't remember the last time I switched it on

And Nintnedo Switch is great, play handheld or docked, can't beat a bit of Mario Kart Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:13 - 13 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony tends to have the better exclusives. Yes, my PC is way better for playing Elden Ring but I still haven't got the option to play Bloodborne Crying or Very sad
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2