Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Keeway TXM 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

fullwavebridg...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:21 - 26 Dec 2023    Post subject: Keeway TXM 125 Reply with quote

Hello all.

I recently purchased the said make n model to get on the road, well - as a back up mode of transport to commute if the car lets me down.
Took my CBT 13 months ago...
Been a struggle to find something affordable, viewed quite a few bikes, various manufacturers but most were knackered or doubtful for other reasons.

2015 model, 4k miles, almost mint condition, owners original receipt, previous MOT's and some service history.
After researching the make n model i checked everything i could and all was well, had a few enjoyable rides out .

Travelling down the road at 50 i started to lose power, pulled over fortunately into a lay by with the engine not running.

Fuel was ok, tried to restart but will not fire up, couldn't see any other problems so decided to have a smoke and think about recovery.

Tried again to start and fired up first time so i turned around to go home - a mile down the road the issue reoccurs - again give it 5 min and it fires up - it did nearly start after a couple of minutes after i operated choke which leads me to believe this could be carb related ?
Since then i have drained the fuel tank as that was in the tank at purchase, refilled with bp e5 petrol, took for a run and issue still appears.

My greatest fear in choosing this manufacturer was the aftermarket support, spares and documentation but didn't imagine it occurring so soon. Rolling Eyes yes i should have gone jap.
Need to carry out some work obviously to trace fault but would welcome suggestions (other than getting rid of it) - my plan was to run it for 6 months road experience and take my full bike licence before my cbt expires then sell the keeway on.

Has anyone had a keeway with this issue or any ideas regarding the problem.
My car mechanical skills are very good as are my electrical skills due to my work - and my tool collection is quite comprehensive - but without a service manual and lack of bike experience where do i start ? plug, air, fuel filter, i didn't have a plug socket to check for spark at the time of breakdown.

Many thanks

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know that specific model but a couple of common things if you have that problem...

Fuel starvation: could be some restriction in the pipework, fuel pump not working 100% and the ol' open the fuel cap in case a vacuum is forming in the tank. I would have thought 2015 implies fuel injection so not so likely affected by a little water in the fuel or the ethanol content.

Overheating: something's getting warm and not liking it (leaving it a bit to cool down.) Might be the ignition coil breaking down (cheap n cheerful Chinese components.)

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

""Fuel was ok, tried to restart but will not fire up""

When loosing power give it full throttle / choke and when stopped remove the spark plug to see if wet or dry.
Also smell the end of the exhaust.
Also test for a spark as you know.

fullwavebridg...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:08 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Both suggestions will be my target for diagnosis, firstly "spark" which will narrow it down.
Personally i think it's electrical (ignition coil), based on my 33 years of car experience - only once have i had a fuel problem... on a 1987 mini with a badly adjusted float chamber.
Absolutely pi**ing it down today and no roofed work area so awaiting fair weather.
I will venture out again but with some tools to hand and will report back with an update.

Changing subject, been out of the bike world for many years - my first bike was off road KE175 in 83 - then onto a DT100 i think it was.
These bikes were readily available on the sh market - years ago i used to wander through andy nobles and dowsons in Scarborough dreaming of a new trail bike (that i couldn't afford) with so many choices....
What happened to the industry ?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

People such as yourself got old and moved onto "Adventure" bikes Wink

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:47 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike was running ok, then died for no reason. It didn't immediately re-start, but did after a little wait. Then it died again, and wouldn't re-start.

My first thought is the charging system. There is a howto on checking the charging system somewhere in this forum. You'll need a multimeter, and should get a battery charger anyway. Regulator/rectifier is what tends to go wrong.

Second possibility is water in the fuel, particularly if it has been standing a while and you haven't had it long. E10 fuel is particularly bad for this, but it's always been a problem on carbed bikes. Usual test is to drain the carb and see if any water comes out. Not generally a problem on injected bikes, they keep the fuel in the tank better stirred up.

Then you get down into things like ignition coil, ignition (key) switch and other things that shouldn't normally go wrong. Chinese 125s make diagnosis difficult, because things that aren't meant to fail often do.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:30 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it's the ignition coil breaking down when it gets hot and then starting to work again once it's cooled again. It's quite normal for them to do this working/not working faff for some time before they fail entirely.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to track down similar sympyoms on a ybr125 a while back
the YBR is EFI not CDI and carbed is yours is I believe but you'd best say
so we dont go barking up the wrong trees.

Anyway like yours it stopped when running and would restart and run for a bit
with a fault code 33 saying the coil was the problem.
In breif, couldn't find any obvious problems with it but did notice that when running the headlight looked 'flickery' at tickover
After I opened cleaned and refitted the connector on the Regrec it ran perfick
and it has ever since.
The current theory is the noise from a bad power connector caused the ECU to have conniptions

For you, this means open, check and clean all electrical connectors
which should be an annual service thing anyway.
Also as it appears to have an AC or DC CDI system
either one will have pulser which needs to be checked
AC CDIs will have a source coil on the stator which have been known to burn out over time and are heat affected.
AC CDIs often have a tap from the source coil up to the ignition and kill switches
which is pulled low to stop the sparks/engine.
This is high voltage circe 200V so if you get the weather in connectors and switches
it may short to ground at inconvenient times.

I've also had plugs that would start just fine then fail as they got hotter 5-10 minutes after starting

it could also be fuel related for all we know so all the above may be bollox

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:06 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a rev counter? Often times (not always) if it drops spark, the rev counter will drop to zero because most of them are powered off the CDI pulses.

If the rev counter drops to zero when it conks out with the engine is still turning as you roll to a halt, it's almost certainly electrical. If it doesn't, it could still be electrical but with a much higher suspicion of it being fuel.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TXM125 is a faux supermoto with fuel injection:

https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/media/5392188/Keeway%20TX125%20orange%201.jpg?width=400&upscale=false

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs I saw for the 2015 said its a carbed model

https://bikez.com/motorcycles/keeway_txm_125_s_2015.php

OP's post suggested as such too , but best be sure

These chinese bikes are knocked out like sausages and getting reliable tech info can be a PITA

fullwavebridg...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:10 - 27 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses.

Had an hour today in between rainfall and started stripping panel work off. Bit more to do tomorrow but i did manage to get a pic or two of the coil pack, in particular the wiring end and i really don't like the look of this earth connection on the coil body to chassis / earth tag.

Well Zoomed in on the PC and looks like it's badly corroded so will remove rest of panels, remove coil and sort that with scotchbrite and some switchgear grease.

Will need to check terminals at point of cable termination too as seen these hiding rot in the past, fortunately i have all the crimp terminals, shrouds and compression ratchet gun for this.

Carbed or injection ? i don't - i haven't even focused on this yet, no rev counter (or fuel level either) !
Will check charging, as well as battery, i have a Fluke plus a portable battery scope.
Found a couple of other daft annoying things, so the rivnuts and gun will be coming out....

The corrosion clean up "may" sort the primary problem, but a new coil is on order anyway.
Wait n see....
[img][/img]

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:16 - 28 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotchbrite?
yer not scrubbing yer porrige pans you know
use some fine abrasive to get it back to clean bright metal to metal contacts then re fit and smear dielectric grease or even vaseline on it.

Looks like a DC-CDI or TI type coil to me
I'll guess back/white is power ( 12V) black/red control from spark unit.

As its new to you, I'd fit a new plug as matter of course and log the mileage so you know when it's time for a new one.

fullwavebridg...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:23 - 28 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Scotchbrite?
yer not scrubbing yer porrige pans you know

Don't use pans for porridge, use the microwave Laughing

fullwavebridg...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:39 - 28 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned up, just putting everything back together.
It wasn't bad at all actually, just looked bad on the camera pic.

Trying to find a coil for this model / year is tough, several suppliers out of stock in uk, with a 15 day wait - so they just order in from china anyway. I probably would have found one in uk new, but lost the will to live after a couple of hours online - and i aint in any rush for it.

Found the original oem part number, cross ref that and the same coil is used on several bikes which is no surprise....

ordered 2 (as there was a slight difference between them) from china with my aliexpress account - £8 a piece which is no hardship.
Even second hand ones from uk are £20 a piece and not really happy fitting used.
Just the waiting now...

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 28 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have tested the coil amongst other things before buying anything
otherwise you could end up playing 'swap and hope' which can be
time and money consuming.

'Test don't guess' is my usual mantra.

Having said that:
We did waste time and money buying a coil for that YBR as we trusted the repeated 33 error code the ecu gave out which turned out to be false in that case due to noise on the power rail.
The old coil is still working fine now the RR problem has been sorted.

fullwavebridg...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:43 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I'd have tested the coil amongst other things before buying anything
otherwise you could end up playing 'swap and hope' which can be
time and money consuming.

'Test don't guess' is my usual mantra.

Yes i know - it's against my rules with faults, with my cars i run live diagnostics forscan on the ford and opcom on the vaux rather than throwing the dart blindfolded Smile

I should have tested the coil, my meter will do class 2 500v isolation too but didn't think at the time. My intention was to check for a spark in a lay by or safe area when the problem occurs - guess what,,, i took it for a run this aft and it behaved itself.

However the coil will fail eventually and being awkward to source i thought i would like one on the shelf as so to speak.
Will pop out again tomorrow hoping for a failure to narrow it down, but really if i get no spark i am aware it may not be the secondary coil winding failure but the actual RR and a feed to the coil primary.

Will try to find a wiring diagram too as the one in the user manual is awful quality, the original ownwer pack has a keeway CD (which may have a digital version) but this laptop doesnt have a cd drive......

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:52 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Re: Keeway TXM 125 Reply with quote

fullwavebridge wrote:
...Travelling down the road at 50 i started to lose power, pulled over fortunately into a lay by with the engine not running.

In my experience, most electrical problems are binary in nature; either it works or it doesn't. Your initial description of the symptoms states that it started to lose power. That suggests fuel or air system issues to me. Just because you had fuel in the tank does not guarantee that fuel is getting to the carb or throttle body. Do you have a vacuum operated fuel valve? I'd check that. Also, make sure that the fuel tank is venting properly so that air can get in to displace the fuel as its drawn off during operation. If the bike is fuel injected, make sure that the fuel pump is working, that internal fuel lines are intact (not leaking), and that the fuel filter is passing fuel. Fuel lines inside the tank must be of submersible material...standard fuel line from the auto parts store breaks down when submersed and can leak fuel or air. Just a few ideas in case your other diagnostic efforts do not produce results.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:03 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's carbed, carb icing could be another possability for the list. It's not as common these days but is still a thing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coils can be perfectly fine when cold, with regards to testing, but fail under load.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 30 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Coils can be perfectly fine when cold, with regards to testing, but fail under load.

But also can give fine testing results when 'hot' too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fullwavebridg...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:34 - 12 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ignition coil arrived and has been replaced.
It was a silly shot in the dark i know...

Did an oil / filter change as well as spark plug whilst tools were out.
Air filter was spotless so duly refitted.
Took bike for a run and still have the same problem, carried a spare spark plug this time and checked for spark present when it wouldn't start.

Oh, i fitted a new battery today too as i noticed after a lot more research on the bike specs it had the wrong one fitted.

I now believe the problem is fuel / carb related as a few post replies suggested, but will read through them again before deciding which steps to take next.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply so far.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:16 - 22 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the efi version of this bike. TX125SM 2019.

"Travelling down the road at 50 i started to lose power, pulled over fortunately into a lay by with the engine not running.

Fuel was ok, tried to restart but will not fire up, couldn't see any other problems so decided to have a smoke and think about recovery. "

fuel was ok? as in, you had fuel in the tank? or what else is "fuel was ok" related to?

As you've alluded to, you're running out of fuel. It'll be float level/tap/crap in tank etc. Troubleshoot like any other bike running out of fuel when there is fuel in the tank. Its a simple bike, with a simpler engine.

fullwavebridg...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:20 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, it was this CDI unit at fault.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1