Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

kawasaki KDX 220 enduro

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

tractorboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:53 - 15 Jan 2024    Post subject: kawasaki KDX 220 enduro Reply with quote

Hi,

Just bought this 2003 model KDX 220.

We drained the cooling system and got 2 litres out, but can only get 1 litre back in after bleeding all the air screws. Have driven it a couple of times to get it warm, but the coolant level does not go down. The only info i can find online says the system only takes 1.1litre.

Needless to say we are a bit confused! Would anybody know the coolant capacity and whether it has a thermostat?

Cheers

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 16 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you said 1.1 litres out but could only get 1 litres in I'd say there was an air pocket but 2 vs 1 (with a spec of 1.1 litres) is a bit of a difference! Are the rads original?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:59 - 16 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overfilled expansion bottle is a possible explanation for it having too much in there in the first place.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 16 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the coolant smell of petrol?

A friend owns a KDX250SR and he had the problem of some seals that had aged allowing the ingress of fuel into the water pump. After rebuilding the engine with new seals it now works as it should.

Be sure to use the correct ratio of coolant.Using a standard 50/50 mix will not do your engine any good.Antifreeze does not allow the transfer of heat away from hotspots,like around the cylinder head and barrel.On my watercooled bikes I use 70% distilled water,20% quality concentrated glycol and 10% WaterWetter (do a search on Redline Oils).With a 50/50 mix it is ideal for -33 degrees centigrade,but does not allow the engine to perform to its full potential.My KTM enduro runs the 70/20/10 mix,as do my R1 and Exup1000.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 16 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Overfilled expansion bottle is a possible explanation for it having too much in there in the first place.

If that was the case,the pipe for the overflow would dump it.

Always have a 'Plan B'

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 16 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Using a standard 50/50 mix will not do your engine any good.Antifreeze does not allow the transfer of heat away from hotspots,like around the cylinder head and barrel.

Eh? News to me. What about ready mixed 'coolant'?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:
Using a standard 50/50 mix will not do your engine any good.Antifreeze does not allow the transfer of heat away from hotspots,like around the cylinder head and barrel.

Did you hear about the DIY car machanic who used 100% concentrated glycol?The engine was damaged beyond repair.

Any internal combustion engine in a vehicle with 'water' cooling needs coolant that has anti-corrosion inhibitors in alloy systems as well as anti-freeze capability.So you would not use 100% water A) because it will boil too easily B) because in freezing conditions it will expand and crack those engine components serviced by the cooling facility.So by having a mixture of glycol and distilled water the system has the ability to prevent overheating by heat transfer from engine hotspots to a radiator to dissipate the heat to atmosphere.
In an ideal situation,like in MotoGP or WSB they use 100% ultra pure water and very soon after the racing is over they drain the coolant system.But in our bikes,typically,we are lazy and do not drain and flush old stuff out as often as should be done.It would be easy to just pop down the road to the local car place and buy their ready mixed stuff that they boast will go down to -33c before it freezes,but the UK will never ever go that low.So why buy it in that way as it is very expensive to purchase distilled water.

So,by mixing with more distilled water,you will improve the cooling ability and allow the engine to perform better.But you still need the other chemicals like glycol.A fraction of the ready mixed stuff is sufficient to protect the engine down to -15c.There are hydrometers than can register the ability to protect down to various negative temperatures.

I use WaterWetter because of the other properties that I find advantageous to my engines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WaterWetter® - 12oz

Unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the wetting ability of water.
Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates.
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature.

https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter

Always have a 'Plan B'

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
A100man wrote:

Did you hear about the DIY car machanic who used 100% concentrated glycol?The engine was damaged beyond repair.

Nope, never did - seems daft though. I follow the instructions on the side of the bottle. The coolant concentrate usually needs to be diluted 50/50 with water. I use tap water too - daredevil huh?

Anyhow I'm baling now, lest this turns into a 'Which Oil?' thread. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This some sort of sales pitch?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1