Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance 2024.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 16 Jan 2024    Post subject: Insurance 2024. Reply with quote

The insurance on my 13 year old VW Tiguan has just gone up by 53% despite no changes in circumstances. Apparently it’s related to the increasing complexity of new cars, and unexplained ‘post-pandemic circumstances’. I’m wondering if the insurance on my two old bikes will go up by a similar amount. Has anyone had a recent renewal? How was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 16 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same BS from the AA up from £350 to 499 for my SEAT 1.0 car with no changes. Called and question it, some tweaks to excess and mileaged lowered to 8k pa some discount and it was miraculously £330 quid. . Compare and call is the key. nothing got that more complex or expensive to repair in a year.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:26 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renewed the policy on my old Nissan Caravan in December, it had gone up £20 to £320 from last year. Not too bad but I read something - possibly on MoneySavingExpert? - about how these rises are worst affecting people under 50, which I am not.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those things government make mandatory for all road users but government do virtually nothing to regulate the profiteering involved.

There must be money to be made or there wouldn't be so many kunts happy to provide insurance. And the government would have to get their fingers out and organise a national scheme.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:56 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car insurance went up more than 50% last year £985 - I got some points (peugeot 308)

Decided to cut costs and get a moped for kicking about....£700 Shocked
It was £75 a few years ago

If it stays like this I'm done with driving. I can only hope the expiration of points will bring it down massively

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop around. I renew a fair few policies (2 bikes, 4 cars) and the only one I had trouble either keeping stable or reducing in price was for my mum and she's in her 80's.

"Post Covid complications" utter bullshit. Where were the massive drops in policy cost during the scamdemic 'cos no one was driving anywhere? Evil or Very Mad

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the process of renewing my bike insurance, went up about 40%, confused got me a figure similar to last year, typically current insurer matched it.

In summary, yes expect the same for your bike insurance.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreading my Jag renewal. Comparison sites here I come.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

When insurers started filing their pockets with cash based on Eastern Europeans faik accident claims, the government took them to task on it via a hearing.
It was just a hearing as the insurance body gave the government the bird.
Told them to keep their noses out of it.
Government rolled over.
Same as they did when the men who stole everyone's money during the great Bank robbery/crash. The government were afraid that the banks would fk off from uk if threatened with prosecution.
A government bank would have worked until a suitable candidate was found to operate an honest bank.

Financial Sector is like a Licensed Criminal Operation.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
an honest bank

There's one in my high street next to "Ye Olde Rocking Horse Shite Shoppe" and the hens' teeth stall Rolling Eyes

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car insurance jumped by 50 quid to 390. Managed to get it for £290 instead. This is for a 42 year old in a decent area and 9yrs+ NCB. I was watching something the other day that showed cars being written off as cat S due to parts not being available and the vampires not wanting to pay out on hire cars indefinitely. Stuff like that has to have a knock on effect aswell.

Elsewhere a quite for a new Hayabusa came in at £1800, a 13 year old Fireblade at £1500 and my SV1000 was only £160 in the summer. Got a quote for a Cb1000R as £280 so I'm moving that direction but things change so quick.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:38 - 18 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Shop around. I renew a fair few policies (2 bikes, 4 cars) and the only one I had trouble either keeping stable or reducing in price was for my mum and she's in her 80's.

"Post Covid complications" utter bullshit. Where were the massive drops in policy cost during the scamdemic 'cos no one was driving anywhere? Evil or Very Mad

Have you found it’s worth putting everything onto the same policy, or at least the bikes onto a multi bike policy?

It have the same several cars/ bikes but always couldn’t face the arse ache of putting everything on the same one. If it’s worth it I should try this year.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 18 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:

Have you found it’s worth putting everything onto the same policy, or at least the bikes onto a multi bike policy?

It have the same several cars/ bikes but always couldn’t face the arse ache of putting everything on the same one. If it’s worth it I should try this year.

I don't know about multi bike policies but multi car ones are a joke. I have yet to find a multi car that is cheaper than insuring mine and wifies on 2 policies.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:

Bikes, yes- £110 I think it was last for my 5 bikes. Cars- nah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't Wink

"Damn your eyes sir, you will answer!"

A few years ago I had a multicar policy with Admiral: 1 policy, 2 cars. I saved money but... a single policy so only a single No Claims Discount. On renewal Admiral became spontaneously more expensive for no particular reason, as is their wont. Following, the best deal was two separate policies but I had to choose which car got the NCD Sad

Fast forward to today and I again have multi-car insurance but this time it's 2 policies with a discount applied as their from the same company. Crucially, two separate NCDs.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike renewal has just come through, and amazingly it has gone down £8 from last year

Nothing has changed, and i already have the maximum NCD, and this was a renewal letter from my current insurer, no shopping around involved

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 09:13 - 20 Jan 2024; edited 1 time in total

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:14 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Nute wrote:

Bikes, yes- £110 I think it was last for my 5 bikes. Cars- nah.

Yep, currently got all 3 bikes on multi bike policy for roughly the same price as a single policy for my zx6r.

We have had 2 cars for over 15 years now, and I've never, ever managed to get a multi car policy quote work out cheaper than 2 separate ones.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:11 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, seems it will be worth trying to add my second bike to the policy I’ve just taken out in due course.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:14 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike due for renewal this month, renewal quote is double what I paid last year, up from £120 to £250.

Car was mental, renewal due last month, last year paid about £300ish, this year they wanted £980.

Even shopping around on comparison sites, the best I could do was £500ish, phoned my current insurer and they just fobbed me off with "we dont do price matching". Which I never understood, surely theyre better off getting a reduced amount of money from me, than losing me as a customer and getting nothing from me?

No change in circumstances, usual bollocks excuses and the new one "inflation is making repairs more expensive so we have to put our premiums up"
My heart bleeds for these poor parasites, only making £X billions this year rather than £Y billions Rolling Eyes

Ive also looked at various multi vehicle and 6 wheel policies, its never worked out cheaper so Im not sure who theyre aimed at.

I also think you're potentially assigned a small selection of insurers at birth and theyre the only ones who will ever quote you something vaguely reasonable. Every year I just seem to circle between Admiral, Direct Line and Carol Nash. Every other insurer is usually £1k+. But then my mate who lives in the same area as me, same age, similar driving history, similar NCB, he always gets a cheap quote from LV who I can never get a quote for. Then you scroll down to the bottom of the comparison site and see people like Sainsburys insurance wanting £4k, whos getting quotes from them?!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 22 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the renewal quotes for my Jag and wifies Ford Tourneo Connect. I had to pick myself up off the floor. Jag up £93 and the Ford up £233 Shocked

I was straight onto Direct line because I was in a shitty mood after storm isis or whatever it's called broke a pane of glass in my greenhouse so I though 'don't waste the anger Evil or Very Mad '.

Anyway, after a bit 'you cannot be serious' and then whining like a little girl who's had her dolly stolen I got the Jag reduced to £30 below last years quote, so down £120 and the Ford reduced by £150. Obviously that discount is built into the renewal quote because Miss thicket, reading off her autoqueue did't even have to go ask anyone higher in the food chain.

Utter scumbags.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 22 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I was straight onto Direct line

Utter scumbags.

I gave up with them.. for reasons stated.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 22 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
...surely theyre better off getting a reduced amount of money from me, than losing me as a customer and getting nothing from me?

Goose that laid the golden egg stuff. Years and years of quietly upping people's premiums and, in the vast majority of cases, getting away with it. Now it's a big thing in the media and the default is not to accept your renewal quote as "it is what it is" and they'll probably buck their ideas up. Probably take a year or two Smile

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I combined my cars and house insurance with Admiral which made a fairly decent reduction over the total, I then made the utterly ridiculous decision to take the top level house insurance as 'surely that's better than the cheapy limited cover'.

How wrong I was... A big leak needing a shower enclosure replaced, and a damp side wall later, neither covered of course because the T&C's rule out just about everything. I'm never doing that again, such a waste of money.

I'm dreading April coming up (renewal time), not only for the 90% increase but also the amount of time it takes shopping round and comparing. So painful...
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Last year I combined my cars and house insurance with Admiral which made a fairly decent reduction over the total, I then made the utterly ridiculous decision to take the top level house insurance as 'surely that's better than the cheapy limited cover'.

How wrong I was... A big leak needing a shower enclosure replaced, and a damp side wall later, neither covered of course because the T&C's rule out just about everything. I'm never doing that again, such a waste of money.

I'm dreading April coming up (renewal time), not only for the 90% increase but also the amount of time it takes shopping round and comparing. So painful...

Bastirts.

Thanks for the Hedzup. Admiral will be avoided for any MCN insurance purchases in the future.

Terms and Conditions are what disreputable companies use as protection.

Most companies use terms and conditions to limit liability. That's fair, but insurers who are in the business of insuring liability should be held to a more stringent standard.

Although tedious to read, t&c should always be studied before putting your money down.

Most companies are not in the business to help people.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1