Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:55 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: What helmet? Reply with quote

Hi All,
It's been a while.
I need a new helmet and have no idea what is good. I think my Shoei Quest is getting on for 10 years old. I've never had a helmet go for so long without failing and needing replacing. I was looking to get a new visor/pinlock for it as it not as transparent as it used to be, then realised at 10 years I should probably replace the whole thing.

I'm not sure what is about or what is decent or if there are new features or technologies or if very little has changed.

I'm after something that is...
Quality
Quiet
Internal sunvisor
Bright/light colour

Primary use is commuting. I don't have a max budget I want the best lid for the lowest amount.

I know people say certain brands only fit certain people but I've not found any helmets are the wrong shape for my head.

Thanks,
Chris

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another forum of a rider who is having warranty issues with his Shoei helmet. Issue had to do with the liner, and although the helmet was still under warranty, Shoei would not cover the repair or replacement. I personally would look elsewhere. I've been using Scorpion helmets since 2005. They fit me proper and are well ventilated. They are a bit on the budget side, but pass DOT and Snell certifications. I crash tested a Scorpion EXO 700 in 2016; it did its job.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52913054228_2845cbd7de_w.jpg

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it has always been, go for fit, then for level of plush you want, that dictates the price, then go for the paint scheme. I've worn FM, and now Arai lids, I wear what is comfy and suites my needs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: Helmets. Reply with quote

With the production of ece22-05 helmets now finished there are some cracking deals around. The gt air 2 is the one that ticks your boxes and there are good deals about. Shark spartan, agv k3 sv and many others work well. I use an xlite x551 to commute as the peak looks OK on an adv bike, also have a Nolan n70x but the gt would work just as well.

My commute needs are similar to yours and I spent a lot of time hunting around. Got a nexx adv for work and a scorpion exo hx1 from chromeburner (netherlands) for the price of the nexx in the uk. No import duty on helmets, but be careful when buying from websites based abroad.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Helmets. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
scorpion exo hx1

Googled it. That's my style - good candidate for my next one.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:45 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schuberth C5

And add in the comms kit.

Or if your on a budget:

Any Shoei is as good as.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:19 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Shoei GT air which is great, but the current models are ludicrous money. When it comes to replacing it, I really want another Shoei, but I may have to settle for a more reasonably priced HJC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS2 are making some really good lids at a decent price point. Worth a look at their range. Most of my racing mates use them on the track, they particularly like the emergency pull tabs that let you remove the padding to assist removal with a neck injury.

Multiple shell sizes and they do one of the cheapest decent quality carbon fibre lids you'll find.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC is good value in my opinion.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
HJC is good value in my opinion.

I like my first and last HJC.

The fit was great but the lining disintegrated after about 8mths wear.

Any helmets I've had after that lasted for years.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Arai but the price of some of their helmets is daft, even allowing for the, “How valuable is your head?” argument. Their recent colours have been poor too. Consequently I have a 5 year old Arai QV in boring white. I can’t fault it otherwise, and my niece noted it has “sparkles.” Wub

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:40 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a number of HJC helmets, and my partner has a HJC. They've all been great, lasted well, comfy etc but they just don't quite have that last 5% that sets Arai and Shoei apart.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 02 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
LS2 are making some really good lids at a decent price point. Worth a look at their range. Most of my racing mates use them on the track, they particularly like the emergency pull tabs that let you remove the padding to assist removal with a neck injury.

Multiple shell sizes and they do one of the cheapest decent quality carbon fibre lids you'll find.

I have an LS2 FireFly that glows in the dark - woohoo. I also bought a matching 'ladies size' for just in case - my daughter can also use it - £30 in M&P sale.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:29 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just picked up a Nolan N60-6 from SBS, not ridden with it yet, but its light, comfy and came with a pinlock pre installed for £120.

Found out when I got it home that it hasn't got speaker pockets, but then neither did my MT but I managed to shoehorn one in just fine so might just go for it anyway.

This is my first non flip-front lid (only 2nd overall) so I was a bit shocked at how light it was for the price (1400g ish) and it's ECE22.06 too.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 19 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a shoei GT2, wait for the off season

soon as you see then 25-30% less than RRP thats the best you're going to get

I got an NXR2 for £300 from M&P, and on klarna, you can't get that from the uk importers

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:47 - 19 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Shark 3/4 and an LS2 flip-front. Both about £60 and 1.4, 1.6kg respectively. The LS2 mists up far too easily especially in the rain so will be in the market for a new one.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 15:08 - 24 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Helmets. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
The gt air 2 is the one that ticks your boxes and there are good deals about.

Seconded.

As MarJay said the new Shoei models are expensive (although in my opinion worth the money and still not as much as Arai).

However the new models are not a game changer or next level compared to the previous models. They've only slightly improved on an already outstanding product at a reasonable price.

Previous models should still be in stock in Sportsbikeshop and other places.

You'll get a good deal on a GT Air 2 if you shop around, now the GT Air 3 is out. I know the GT Air 2 is heavily discounted on Sportbikeshop at the moment (£350 from nearly £600 originally, that's a cracking deal).

Personally I'm rocking a Neotec 3 and the comms have voice activated controls which I have NEVER been a fan of in the past in any capacity (in the car or elsewhere) but I have to say they work really well! Not sure if the Sena comms on the GT Air 2 / Neotec 2 are voice activated, you'll have to look that up. I got my current lid from the Infinity stall at the MCN ExCeL show this year and got £175 off the retail price so it might also be worth checking their website out for discounts on the GT Air 2 as well.

I like Shoei for the integral visor, pinlock option and integrated Sena comms. You may feel comms aren't relevant to you if you don't do group rides (not sure if you do?) but even if you don't it's still a blessing to be able to have quiet music in the background if you want to, audible satnav instructions through the lid and take calls on the go.

Might be worth also considering a Neotec 2. Not sure if you're a fan of modular helmets but they just add a little more practicality for not much compromise on safety (still meet the same safety ratings etc.).

See if you can get a good discount on a GT Air 2 or a Neotec 2 and treat yourself at a later date to the integrated comms or have a look on Ebay you might find a second hand comms for it at a good price.

Happy shopping and please keep us updated on your purchase decision with a review Thumbs Up
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1