Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Water meters

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: Water meters Reply with quote

I've always resisted the call to have a water meter fitted to my house, although the 'algorithm' suggests I should save money if I do so. I suppose I'm paranoid about leakages and untracked usage - have heard of horror stories with massive bills being run up as a result.

Anyway.

Today I've received a letter from United Utilities informing me that like it or not, a meter WILL be fitted to my house (in the pavement, so I have no right of refusal) very shortly. But I am apparently not to worry, because I'll still be billed my normal amount; but I have the option to switch over to metered bills after two years if I want (ie, if I confirm its cheaper) or I can stay as I am if I prefer. Sounds like a win-win, the way that's presented, doesn't it?

My concern, however, is that I have a fairly old house, with an equally old water main running up quite a long drive to the house. Although I have no evidence to suggest it's the case, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that I have an invisible and undetected leak somewhere under there, which would be instantly apparent as soon as meter is fitted. And presumably United Utilities would then insist on a me carrying out (and paying for) the resulting extremely invasive and expensive repair. There's certainly no mention of this scenario in the pretty little booklet I received.

Does that sound about right?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:42 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

wessex water will come and fix for free any leak on your property up to the entry to a building if they are your supplier. They even refund any extra you have spent due to the leak for the last few years if on a water meter.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:06 - 23 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally if you use the water, you pay for the water. Even if that use is irrigating the soil under your driveway.

Depending on the meter type, it might not even show up. The early models that were widely used tended to fail to read, or under-read, very low flow conditions. This meant that houses with a header tank in the loft were getting a lot of free water, seeing as they tend to refill at a trickle.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:52 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Wessex water do that because it was what they did when I discovered I had a leak a couple of years ago.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones they are fitting are now 'smart' meters. Same as your energy ones. No one needs to come and read them and they will know pretty quickly if you have a leak, rather than waiting until the next reading to discover that and giving you a big bill.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:00 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're lucky then the smart meter they fit now won't need replacing next year. Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
wessex water will come and fix for free any leak on your property up to the entry to a building if they are your supplier.

Well that would allay my fears if UU have the same policy. I suppose I'll find out soon enough...

Polarbear wrote:
The ones they are fitting are now 'smart' meters. Same as your energy ones. No one needs to come and read them and they will know pretty quickly if you have a leak, rather than waiting until the next reading to discover that and giving you a big bill.

I know the meters are very sensitive... when my mum (on a 'stupid' meter) had a leak a couple of years back, Yorkshire Water notified her about 'unusual usage' over the past few months, and I got involved in tracking down the leak. You could see the meter moving even with just a tiny flow from a tap; so I imagine with a smart meter providing a potentially continuous readout, that any 'background' (ie leaking) usage at all (eg overnight) would be very quick to reveal itself to the water company.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:45 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
wessex water will come and fix for free any leak on your property up to the entry to a building if they are your supplier.

Well that would allay my fears if UU have the same policy. I suppose I'll find out soon enough...

That's not how it works.

They'll only fix it for you if the distance from the water mains pipe on the street to your property is less than a certain (relatively short) distance.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing to stop you hiringa mini excavator and hoiying the water pipe up by yourself.
(Maybe need an operators cert to hire the digger.)

By old, do you mean old enough to have a lead waterpipe?

Most water suppliers replaced lead pipes up to the Toby.
It was the property owners job to replace the lead pipe from the Toby to the dwelling.

I think that was 50s 60s.

Today, plumbers won't replace lead with lead, they have to replace with copper, plastic, stainless.

If do have any lead plumbing, make sure to run your tap for a few seconds before filling kettles etc.
Lead creeps into the water when it stands in the pipe. Running the tap flushes out that 'build up'.

Lead is uber toxic. Really.

You could test your supply yourself.

Buy a water pressure gauge. Close the supply at the toby.
Connect the gauge to your cold water supply. (That should be directly from the street.)
Open the Toby to apply mains pressure to your system.
It should be quite substantial and could be more than 20psi.

Record the pressure indicated.

Close the Toby.

Look at the gauge and watch for a drop.

It should not drop.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got lead.. hardwater area though so hopefully it's internally coated with scale. Had lead in may previous house too. That leaked after the meter was fitted. Anglian water then dug up the main replaced to teh house with plastic (20 foot) and paid me 2000 quid back This I connected to the lead which still ran within the house..

Will be a massive ball ache for me to replace all the main in current house with plastic.. dig up drive garage floor and quarry tile kitchen flooretc..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1