Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A question for the real nerds who know about wireless comms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: A question for the real nerds who know about wireless comms Reply with quote

I need to transmit an important N/C or N/O signal, think machinery commands and emergency stop type stuff, 2km with line of sight in Europe.

Must be legal
    Unlimited power is available.
    Must be reliable and not give false signals.

Any ideas?

I see 900Mhz E-stop systems available but they are not legal in Europe as that frequency is used for telecoms.

433MHz is limited in range due to power limits.

Wifi way too short.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Pairs.

Sorry, I'm no help.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:22 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been around a few sites doing thing that are important.

Over that distance it would be a cabled connection.

Longer distance could be a microwave link, but these days more likely to be a phone line. Sometimes an old fashioned twisted pair plugged into a 56k modem, nowadays more likely broadband.

From memory, all of the safety of life stuff relied on hard wiring and some kind of industrial protocol running over the wire. I can't remember any emergency stops running over that sort of distance, they were usually within seeing and shouting distance.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

433 probably would work with directional antennas but not something I'd stake my life on. You probably need something industrial e.g.

https://www.racom.eu/eng/products/radio-modem-ripex-overview

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasers

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gadgety.co.il%2Fwp-content%2Fthemes%2Fmain%2Fthumbs%2F2019%2F01%2Flaser-dr-evil-1.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4508c7c97a7396d3371749f13b6dc0e338ba2b86f07eb32ce30ba89f3a04b48e&ipo=images

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 24 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if you only need to read two states, hi or lo for nc/no
can you run a cable? if so maybe put a repeater half way depending on the voltage levels and resistance/voltage drop of the cable.
The reciever circuit then only has to respond to a pre determined
high or low condition
Basically simple and no high frequency stuff required as that would suffer if high data rates were needed over that length of cable.

Or a fibre optic link with repeaters that run in an ON or OFF state

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
It sounds as if you only need to read two states, hi or lo for nc/no

Yes, I just need simple on/off signals.

Cables are not possible at all otherwise it would 100% be a wired connection. Going over water and other things make it not possible.

Easy-X wrote:
433 probably would work with directional antennas but not something I'd stake my life on. You probably need something industrial e.g.

https://www.racom.eu/eng/products/radio-modem-ripex-overview

Yeah the issue is regulations. There are quite a few commercial industrial options but they either require getting a license to use the frequency or they are just plain not allowed.

I am trying to avoid the licensing route to make things simpler but it isn't looking promising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:07 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably if it's safety critical, the signal should be constant and hold it in the "unsafe" state. Drop the signal for longer than a pre-determined period and default safe state ensues.

I'm not an expert but I immediately thought microwave too. Needs careful alignment though so how mobile are both ends?

A man at each end with a whistle, a red flag and a big red button?

I wonder if IR would have enough reach (giant TV remote)?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
I am trying to avoid the licensing route to make things simpler but it isn't looking promising.

Pay careful attention to the frequencies. CB Radio is free to use at the sort of power levels you require whereas PMR446 is limited to 500mW.

Standard business radio in the VHF/UHF bands @ 5 ~ 25W would require a licence but it's only £75. I can help you fill out the OFCOM paperwork if you need one.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:12 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really we need more information on what you're trying to do.

You can get wifi antennas which claim impressive range, the directional parabolic ones claim up to 15km.

But the use case matters. If this is safety of life stuff, you go along to someone like schneider electric and buy an off-the-shelf solution and get it installed properly. If it's to control a water pump on a farm, you go cheaper.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wireless or hard wired has to have certain redundancy built in.

I would not guess what protocol would suit without more info on the project.

It depends, as mentioned, on what the function is and how vital it is.

We still had those pipes that you shout into and listen to a horn on our drillship for comms between the control room at the front and the steering room at the back.

Although the four other systems were on UPS battery back up too.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 26 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

60GHz point to point wifi can do several kilometer distances if you have clear line of sight

eg
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/46155-ubiquiti-wave-lr/

We use two pair of dishes to link our gatehouse to the admin building (the under road trunking carrying the fibre cable collapsed due to years of hgv traffic and was going to cost a fortune to re-instate)

The pairs automatically failover so if comms drop on one set then the other set kick in.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:50 - 29 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
You can get wifi antennas which claim impressive range, the directional parabolic ones claim up to 15km.

Litebeam AC do incredible distances. We had one providing a 600Mbps wireless link across a few km.

I'd be using physical cable though here with something on the ends, not trusting point A to point B, "shit happens"
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1