Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scaling back Postal Service

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

How many letters do you recieve a month (excluding junk mail)?
0-2
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
3-5
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
6 or more
47%
 47%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 23

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Scaling back Postal Service Reply with quote

Since we have a pretty broad spectrum of folk on here, i thought it would be interesting to have a staw poll on how much use you have with the Royal Mail on, lets say, a monthy basis

Genuinly, i could count on one hand how many letter i get addressed to me in a year (excluding junk mail), specifically mortgage and pension statements, which so far i have not found a way to request online only statements

There seems to be a growing fury amongst polititians and certain groups who would be outraged over a cut in days the Royal Mail would deliver on, and just dredge out the old "it's an institution" or "it's by Royal decree" and "you can't mess with the Royal Mail"

Surely they can see that in this day & age, anyone under the age of 40 does most (if not all) things online

And yes, i get that businesses probably still need some sort of service, but you can't expect the same level of service from its heyday when there was no alternative, to now when there are dozens of alternative parcel delivery compaines, and most folk now do everything online

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:00 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Scaling back Postal Service Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
and most folk now do everything online

Spoken like a youngster. There are still a lot of people out there who do nothing online, and their lives are made immeasurably more difficult as time passes due to paper/telephone based services being taken away.

In about 10-15 years they will all have departed, so maybe then, but not yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Scaling back Postal Service Reply with quote

jeremyr62 wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
and most folk now do everything online

Spoken like a youngster. There are still a lot of people out there who do nothing online, and their lives are made immeasurably more difficult as time passes due to paper/telephone based services being taken away.

In about 10-15 years they will all have departed, so maybe then, but not yet.

Thanks for being called a youngster, but at 43 i certainly don't feel young

And yes i get that older generations haven't embrased modern technology, but the amount of business the Royal Mail are doing is only ever going to get smaller and smaller, so either the service they provide will continaully get worse, or something drastic needs to be done

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 days delivery vs. 6 changes nothing. There's still the same amount of mail to deliver so the postman will be toting twice as much when he's on the walk. All parts of the mail system up to that point will be exactly the same unless you think airports and seaports will only accept mail freight on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays Rolling Eyes

This is a tactic to bate the unions. Wait till they howl about staff redundancies and then sleight-of-hand some other proposal that's seemingly not so bad.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really mind the RM service being reduced officially to every other day. I say officially because I suspect in my area they are on that already considering I only get junk mail every few days.

The stupid thing is comanies don't embrace online completely anyway. eg. my car insurance insist on sending me paper copies of my policies even though I can read them on line.

Reduce it to a couple of times a week if need be but then whole new contracts for posties and other RM workers will have to written and embraced if they are only working a 3 day week and that will be horrendously expensive to implement and cause ruptions within the workforce.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deliberately avoid Royal Snail and Parcel Farce as much as humanly possible. I can have a 25kg parcel delivered next day on a pre-10AM, with tracking, POD, etc with DPD for £3.85 (exc. VAT), why would I ever use RM or PF who are more expensive and/or take longer?

RM always put their Delivery Offices in shite areas with fuck all parking. Fuck them. DPD, FedEx, UPS, etc all have safe space options whereas RM and PF force you to go to a Post Office or Delivery Office. The Delivery Office in Hamilton is open for only 08:00 AM to 10:00 AM Monday to Friday and is closed any other time outwith those 2 hours per day 5 times per week and has no local parking at all, you need to park almost a 10 min walk away and I am a right lazy cunt so that hacks me off.

Shite hawks. Fuck them and hope they go bust. Good riddance.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I deliberately avoid Royal Snail and Parcel Farce as much as humanly possible. I can have a 25kg parcel delivered next day on a pre-10AM, with tracking, POD, etc with DPD for £3.85 (exc. VAT), why would I ever use RM or PF who are more expensive and/or take longer?

RM always put their Delivery Offices in shite areas with fuck all parking. Fuck them. DPD, FedEx, UPS, etc all have safe space options whereas RM and PF force you to go to a Post Office or Delivery Office. The Delivery Office in Hamilton is open for only 08:00 AM to 10:00 AM Monday to Friday and is closed any other time outwith those 2 hours per day 5 times per week and has no local parking at all, you need to park almost a 10 min walk away and I am a right lazy cunt so that hacks me off.

Shite hawks. Fuck them and hope they go bust. Good riddance.

Wow! Did a postie shag your missus at sometime? Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Scaling back Postal Service Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Since we have a pretty broad spectrum of folk on here, i thought it would be interesting to have a staw poll on how much use you have with the Royal Mail on, lets say, a monthy basis

Genuinly, i could count on one hand how many letter i get addressed to me in a year (excluding junk mail), specifically mortgage and pension statements, which so far i have not found a way to request online only statements

There seems to be a growing fury amongst polititians and certain groups who would be outraged over a cut in days the Royal Mail would deliver on, and just dredge out the old "it's an institution" or "it's by Royal decree" and "you can't mess with the Royal Mail"

Surely they can see that in this day & age, anyone under the age of 40 does most (if not all) things online

And yes, i get that businesses probably still need some sort of service, but you can't expect the same level of service from its heyday when there was no alternative, to now when there are dozens of alternative parcel delivery compaines, and most folk now do everything online

No.

Firstly, put those who unjustly accused and prosecuted their postmasters for fraud and theft into the jail.
Then. after they are all locked up, we can look at re-streamlining our PO.

In that order.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:14 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back second post.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Wow! Did a postie shag your missus at sometime? Laughing

Nope just an expensive shite service that I wish didn't exist so I didn't have to deal with them whenever I bought something online and they used Royal Mail like cunts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Bring back second post.

Fuck! There's a blast from the past Laughing Kids today don't know their born etc.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Christmas (as the last one) we avoided RM as much as possible with parcel sending, they are completely out of touch compared to DPD/Evri and the like.
With Evri it's cheaper, I had an extra couple of days to look for those last minute presents, and I don't have to queue at those ridiculous post office counters for an hour during 'office hours'. I can just drop it off whenever I'm ready at the corner shop at 9pm on a quiet night.

To top it off I was expecting a signed parcel that was sent through RM, they don't tell me when it's due and I missed the 2 attempts made whilst I was at work. Went to the sorting office and missed opening hours because hey, they open 2 hours a day between 10 & 12. So useful for the working person Evil or Very Mad .

So quite frankly, the sooner RM gets the plug pulled the better. If Evri/DPD can get it right, RM can try too.

And for all those 'age' comments, there's always going to be the elderly section of the human race who miss out - does that mean we don't push for progress?
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason they are crap and expensive and incompetent is they are still very unionised.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The reason they are crap and expensive and incompetent is they are still very unionised.

Oh no.... Here we go.....

It's poor management that create most problems.

There's very little interference from Trade Unions in UK industry now.

Therefore there's very little to increase salaries and improve conditions either.

Try to not talk rubbish. Laughing

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:06 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I ever seem to get in the post is fast food flyers, the local gazette, and "to the homeowner" broadband letters. All of which the postie ignores the "no unaddressed/junk mail", seems to be all RM delivers these days.

Everything is online, nothing important comes in the post, just the occasional credit card/bank statement because they haven't gone online only yet. Would be fine with a heavily reduced service to say 3 days a week. Not that it would make much difference as it seems they're ignoring letters in favor of parcels anyway so letters only get delivered a few times a week already. We dont need 6 days a week delivery of letters.

The only, very thin, argument against it is for very rare time sensitive things like hospital appointment letters for old codgers who still haven't figured out how a text message reminder works in the past 30 years. Postie on the radio today suggested an easy work around for that would simply make them like the Covid vaccine rollout letters, bright blue NHS envelopes so when they re picking their letters in the morning they know to prioritize those ones.

I think the faux outrage being peddled by the Daily Mail and Tory MPs is purely trying to find something to shout about to distract from how much of a shitshow the rest of the country is. Nobody really cares about getting their junk mail 3 or 4 times a week instead of 6. But its a nice headline for gammons to get angry about. Surprised theyre not trying to blame it on boat people, "Your ROYAL Mail busy delivering post to ILLEGAL MIGRANTS instead of HARD WORKING BRITS!"

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
There's very little interference from Trade Unions in UK industry now.

Therefore there's very little to increase salaries and improve conditions either.

Try to not talk rubbish. Laughing

That’ll be why train drivers can earn as much as commercial airline pilots. Both have a Union but one is far more militant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta wonder what the Royal Mail (a misnomer now) thinks it’s for. Fair enough, their old bread and butter ‘letters’ has declined massively but if they don’t want to compete for parcels by delivering next-day or at weekends they’re shooting themselves in the head. Have they simply been asset-stripped?

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 25 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no intention, at the moment, to reduce deliveries to three days.
Such horror stories are only being bandied around so that when the service is eventually reduced to five days, the real intention, everyone will say, ''that's not so bad then''.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Scaling back Postal Service Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Firstly, put those who unjustly accused and prosecuted their postmasters for fraud and theft into the jail.
Then. after they are all locked up, we can look at re-streamlining our PO.

In that order.

A postal order!

Razz

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if someone's done a cost/benefit analysis of setting up a mail service solely for government mail - DVLA, DWP, NHS - 'cos that's about the only serious use for the Royal Mail right now...

Maybe that's all they should do. Bring it back into state ownership but they only delivery state correspondence Thinking

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

That’ll be why train drivers can earn as much as commercial airline pilots. Both have a Union but one is far more militant.

Commercial Airline Pilots have control of steering.
Train drivers have to just trust that the train knows where its going.

Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Laughing

Why do we need train drivers. My model railway runs perfectly well without train drivers. Just a computer running the trains, points and signals. Once it's set up I don't need to touch it again. Why can't we have computer run main line electric trains. Serious question.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MCN wrote:

Why do we need train drivers. My model railway runs perfectly well without train drivers. Just a computer running the trains, points and signals. Once it's set up I don't need to touch it again. Why can't we have computer run main line electric trains. Serious question.

Actually - same applies to airline pilots. Airliners are just drones which carry passengers - the main reason for an on-board pilot is actually just consumer acceptance.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2023/02/26/pilotless-autonomous-self-flying-planes/?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

In a word "Unions" Wink

The Dockland Light Railway was designed to be fully automated from Day 1 but they still had to have a "passenger service agent" so people weren't scared by such new technology 'cos back in 1987 no one had ever heard of computers let alone seen one drive a train Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:02 - 28 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Thinking

Mi bredda, big up yuhself! Yow, di ting yuh a talk bout, why we need train drivers fi run di railway, it deep like di roots a di ackee tree. But mi aguh break it down inna di language weh we all can overstand, Jamaican style.

First an foremost, when yuh have a model railway, weh small like di breadfruit tree inna yuh backyard, yuh right, di computer can handle di ting. It run di trains, switch di points, and control di signals like a pro. But when we start talk 'bout di big man ting, di main line electric trains, it a whole different ball game.

Imagine yuh deh pon di A1 highway a drive yuh car, and suddenly yuh hear seh nuh human need fi deh behind di wheel, just di computer. Mi nuh know 'bout yuh, but dat sound like a recipe fi disaster. Di railway a di same. Yuh need a human touch, a driver, fi mek sure tings a run smooth and safe.

One reason weh we need train drivers a fi di unexpected events weh can pop up pan di railway faster dan yuh can seh "irie." Imagine yuh deh pon yuh model railway, and one a di likkle trains decide seh it waan go pon a joyride off di track. Yuh need somebody deh fi tap it pon di shoulder and seh, "Hold on deh likkle man, yuh deh pon di wrong track." A computer alone nuh always savvy fi deal wid di curveballs life throw.

Furthermore, train drivers play a crucial role inna di whole system. Dem a di eyes and ears a di railway. Dem know di ins and outs, every nook and cranny. If yuh have a computer alone a run tings, it might miss di likkle details weh a human driver woulda catch. Yuh nuh want di likkle tings turn big problem.

Anodda crucial reason weh we need train drivers a fi di emergency situations. If yuh deh pon a train and someting go wrong, yuh waan somebody deh weh can tek charge and mek di right decisions. A computer alone might nuh have di gut feeling, di intuition fi know weh fi do inna certain situations. Imagine yuh deh pon di train, and di computer start bawl out, "Error 404: Decision-Making Not Found." It's a recipe fi disaster.

Yuh know how we Jamaicans talk 'bout di vibes and energy, right? Well, train drivers bring a certain energy and presence to di whole ting. Dem a di captain a di ship, di conductor a di symphony. Yuh can't replicate dat energy wid just a computer. Di passengers need fi feel di human touch, know seh dem deh in safe hands.

Now, mi get yuh point 'bout di model railway weh run fine widout nuh driver, but di scale different. We talking 'bout di big league now, di main line electric trains weh cover vast distances. A human driver provide a sense a security and comfort. Imagine yuh deh pon di train, and di only voice yuh hear a di computer seh, "Next stop, unknown destination." Yuh woulda start wonder if yuh a di star inna some sci-fi movie.

Some people might argue seh di computer can do everyting, but remember, technology nuh perfect. Yuh ever experience di blue screen a death pan yuh computer? Now, imagine dat happening when yuh deh pon di express train a speed pon di tracks. Mi nuh think anybody waan tek dat chance.

Now, let's reason 'bout di practicality. Mi nuh know 'bout yuh, but mi nuh trust di technology fi handle everyting. Mi love di idea a progress, but we haffi use technology wisely. Di world move fast, but yuh caan rush certain tings. Train travel a delicate dance between technology and humanity.

Weh if di computer start act up, and nobody deh deh fi fix it? Di whole railway woulda come to a screeching halt like when yuh step pon a mongoose tail. Train drivers provide a level a flexibility and adaptability weh technology alone might struggle fi match. Yuh can't replace di human touch.

Mi cyaan imagine di day when mi deh pon di train, and di announcement come over di speakers, "Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for di inconvenience, but di computer decide seh it waan tek a likkle break. We'll be stranded inna di middle a nowhere until further notice." Mi prefer di driver deh, weh know how fi tek charge and mek decisions pon di spot.

Anodda ting fi consider a di connection between di driver and di passengers. Yuh ever tek a taxi and have a nice reasoning wid di driver? Di same vibes apply to di train. Di driver know di route, but dem also know di people. Dem mek di journey a pleasant one. Yuh can't replace di friendly face and di welcoming voice wid nuh computer.

Now, let's talk 'bout di beauty a di thing. Di sound of di train, di rhythm a di wheels pon di tracks, it like music to di ears. A computer can replicate di sound, but it caan never feel di vibes. Di driver a di maestro, di one weh conduct di symphony. Yuh can't replace dat artistry wid just lines a code.

Some might seh, "But what 'bout di efficiency?" Well, mi believe inna balance. Yuh can have technology and efficiency, but yuh haffi balance it wid di human touch. Yuh nuh want di railway fi turn into a cold, soulless machine. Yuh want it fi have heart, fi have di warmth weh only human interaction can bring.

Think 'bout di future, bredda. We haffi move forward, but we haffi do it inna a way weh nuh lef wi humanity behind. Train drivers play a crucial role inna preserving dat human connection, dat sense a security and comfort. Yuh can't just throw dem aside like an old newspaper. Dem bring di realness to di ting.

In conclusion, bredda, yuh see why we need train drivers. Dem essential like di pepper inna di jerk chicken. Yuh can't have a vibrant, dynamic railway without dem. A computer alone might handle di technicalities, but di human touch, di presence, di vibes weh a driver bring, yuh cyaan put a price pon dat. So, inna di grand scheme a tings, we haffi find di right balance between technology and humanity. Big up di train drivers dem, di unsung heroes a di railway journey!
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2