Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not ridden for 13 years, anything new I need to know?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Not ridden for 13 years, anything new I need to know? Reply with quote

Hi
Got my first bike again after a 13 year absence, and advances in technology I should know about? For example we didn't use phones for GPS/navigation when i last rode, basically how do I get down with the kids?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Not ridden for 13 years, anything new I need to know? Reply with quote

retrofly wrote:
Hi
Got my first bike again after a 13 year absence, and advances in technology I should know about? For example we didn't use phones for GPS/navigation when i last rode, basically how do I get down with the kids?

Thanks

Literally nothing has changed except you can now attach your phone to the handlebar and use it as a map if you want. If not, proceed as you did 13 years ago Laughing

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned that bluetooth headsets actually work now, do people get helmets with speakers built in or just use something in-ear?

I did have an intercom setup for my pillion, but that was a wired connection with the speaker jammed in the side of the helmet which hurt like heck after a while riding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Not ridden for 13 years, anything new I need to know? Reply with quote

retrofly wrote:
Hi

Thanks

Don't ask me. If going some where new I place a road route list on a piece of papaer in my clear tank bag 'pocket'. As for bikes my newest is 34 years old. Eh?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrofly wrote:
Someone mentioned that bluetooth headsets actually work now, do people get helmets with speakers built in or just use something in-ear?

I did have an intercom setup for my pillion, but that was a wired connection with the speaker jammed in the side of the helmet which hurt like heck after a while riding.

Cardo and Sena are the main ones to look at but it's the same really, you stick it to the helmet and has a little speaker and mic that goes inside the helmet. Most helmets have a pocket cut out for the speaker these days which kinda solves the problem of it hurting.

Don't expect it to be perfect still, I have the Cardo and it's not very good at connecting to different brands like Sena. Mostly I like it because I can play music and have the satnav tell me directions Laughing

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be vigilant.

I'd say the quality of driving as whole has decreased significantly in the last 5 years, we are one of the more vulnerable road users.

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
retrofly wrote:

Cardo and Sena are the main ones to look at but it's the same really, you stick it to the helmet and has a little speaker and mic that goes inside the helmet. Most helmets have a pocket cut out for the speaker these days which kinda solves the problem of it hurting.

Don't expect it to be perfect still, I have the Cardo and it's not very good at connecting to different brands like Sena. Mostly I like it because I can play music and have the satnav tell me directions Laughing

Ah those things that fit to the side of the helmet, I thought they were cameras?

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:25 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Be vigilant.

I'd say the quality of driving as whole has decreased significantly in the last 5 years, we are one of the more vulnerable road users.

I had the misfortune of making an Essex to Bucks return trip in the company van last week, the sheer scale of muppetry was astounding.
Especially the M25, I've never taken a bike on there, and going by last week, probably never will.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:13 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the motorways most days. The ability of people to move out of the left hand lane as soon as they join the motorway, and then just sit there completely oblivious to what is behind them is astounding.

I have seen “ keep left unless overtaking” on the gantry signs a few times recently, although no one appears to take any notice, or perhaps they just couldn’t give a shit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:32 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of modern bikes have traction control, Anti wheelie etc. All bikes since 2017 have ABS (except some smaller bikes like 125 and smaller).

Parallel twins now seem to be of the fashion and not for boring commuter bikes. I still am wary of them.

Trackdays are now a bit too serious, and it seems the majority of the fast group have BMW S1000RRs with carbon fibre fairings.

Sportsbikes went out of fashion and now the most well heeled people at the bike meets ride £25000 off roaders that are almost entirely unsuited for going off road.

600s died and were resurrected, a bit. Sort of.

A2 license holders are being offered sportsbikes again, which means the modern crop of sporty middleweights all make 94bhp or less.

Arai and Shoei helmets are now ludicrously expensive. HJC provide a good balance between quality and value.

Royal Enfield sell a lot of bikes.

Triumphs are made in Thailand but are known for making some of the best built bikes around.

The fastest Ducatis are now 4 cylinder bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:56 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "new" versions of bike models you lusted after 13 years ago are almost universally worse in every measurable metric.

The plus side of this is you can now get the bike you wanted back then, do all the things you would have wanted to do to it (suspension and brake upgrades, fancy pipe etc.) and will have both a better bike and more money in your pocket.

Tyres have come on a long way in 13 years. It's hard to get a truly bad tyre and the good ones are almost unbelievably good.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ride on the right nowadays Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:29 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki have just released a 76bhp ZX-4R which weighs exactly the same as the original ZXR despite having ABS and all manner of electronics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for potholes, they are breeding at a humongous rate. Must be something to do with global warming and Greta.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Not ridden for 13 years, anything new I need to know? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
If going some where new I place a road route list on a piece of paper.

Me too. I call it ‘Dad Nav.’ He used to do the same when we went on holiday.

https://i.postimg.cc/SN5X56nb/IMG-2524.jpg

On that occasion I still got lost…

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:17 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikers are the same bunch of cunts, but 13 years older.

You can now get pretty good suspension upgrades for older bikes, fork cartridge emulators are great.

Electric bikes exist now. They aren't popular, but some of them are moving into the territory of being a good second hand deal.

I don't recommend looking in the politics and current affairs forum.

Cheap old bikes are no longer cheap, but 2-3 year old bikes are pretty good value.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 04 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Electric bikes exist now. They aren't popular, but some of them are moving into the territory of being a good second hand deal.

Show me a good second hand electric bike deal please.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:53 - 05 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126354451064

There you go.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 05 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126354451064

There you go.

I suppose considering the price new it's a reasonable deal for a 2nd hand Zero. Trouble is in my view for 4 grand there are some far superior offerings out there unless you specifically want electric but that's just a personal view.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 05 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap horsepower is now more readily available.

Roads you can really use that horsepower on are not thanks to increasing number of potholes and speed cameras.

Car drivers are still just as oblivious to 2 wheeled road users as ever.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:16 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
Car drivers are still just as oblivious to 2 wheeled road users as ever.

That's completely true, however something that HAS changed in the last ten years in my view is car drivers ability to stay on their side of the road or in their lane when going around a bend or roundabout. I think it's something to do with the fashion for crossovers and SUVs. I think people who previously would probably have driven a Fiesta are now not capable of keeping their Nissan Quishqosh in lane around a bend. So as a motorcyclist I find that I have to be ready to change line in a corner when one of these kamikaze drivers appears. I'm certain this has gotten a LOT worse in the last decade.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Watch out for potholes, they are breeding at a humongous rate. Must be something to do with global warming and Greta.

I was in East Mains Industrial Estate in Broxburn (near Edinburgh) and it has the worst potholes I've ever seen in my life. They were legitimately like craters that you drive into and then back out of. Absolutely insane.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I was in East Mains Industrial Estate in Broxburn (near Edinburgh) and it has the worst potholes I've ever seen in my life. They were legitimately like craters that you drive into and then back out of. Absolutely insane.

Unfortunately Nicola spent all your money on IndyRef2 campaigns and university fees.

Years ago (30?)my work colleague lived at Uphall Station and I used to travel that road by the Drambuie distillary IIRC - it was a miserable grey dump then..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Unfortunately Nicola spent all your money on IndyRef2 campaigns and university fees.

Years ago (30?)my work colleague lived at Uphall Station and I used to travel that road by the Drambuie distillary IIRC - it was a miserable grey dump then..

and a camper van.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Money well spent, look at how all those non specific persons with gender studies degrees have improved Scotchpersonland and made it a modern utopia.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2