Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DIY electronic cruise control

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 12 Mar 2024    Post subject: DIY electronic cruise control Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

Regards

Last edited by I do not care. on 13:35 - 15 Mar 2024; edited 6 times in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:56 - 12 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hard pass from me.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 12 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
That's a hard pass from me.

I understand pass. But just out of curiosity why "HARD"?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'hard' is meant in the sense of a
'very definite refusal with no discussion'

I like to tinker with duinos n stuff but that's a project I see no real need for so couldn't justify the time and effort to myself.
I've put in quite a few long, multi hour motorway trips on bikes
and know sometimes you need to rest your throttle hand, but found simpler solutions and saw no need to complicate things.

It's your time, bike and money of course so how you spend it is up you
but I'd be leery of fitting any device to my throttle that hadn't been
rigorously road tested and made fail safe.

Have you considered making a visor wiper?

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could have just not reply to the post. But he said hard. So it meant something. As for vigorous road tests my device is being tested. You probably know that none of the available aftermarket cruise controls are road certified. Except maybe for Harley but I wouldn’t bet on that.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:47 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to die in one easy lesson:

Fit self built electronic cruise control to a bike with a cable throttle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
How to die in one easy lesson:

Fit self built electronic cruise control to a bike with a cable throttle.

Or just ride a bike and get hit by a drunk driver. Or a 100 year old with bad eyesight. Or just go up to 300 km/h or do a wheeli
Or a better one. How to die on a bike? Just ride it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:24 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the cruise control thing move the throttle accordingly and can you back off using the throttle to override the cruise control so that you can do an emergency stop without having to press switches or buttons to make the cruise control stop interfering?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
He could have just not reply to the post. But he said hard. So it meant something.

It did, as explained clearly by WDForte.

It's a hard pass from me, too.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know his opinion. WDForte did explain but only for himself. Is Nobby the Bastard scared of this and would like to warn others? But since he have absolutly no experience / knowlage of my device, his fear/skepticism is rather his own irrational opinion.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:08 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software running it on the Raspberry Pi, you made that?

Have you 3D printed things, are parts commonly available off the shelf already or are they produced for you in a factory somewhere?

Why do you think none of the available aftermarket cruise controls are road certified?

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ale the parts are off the shelf components easily available. The code i mine, i wrote it 99%.There are third party libraries used.
And all custom parts are designed by me and 3D printed.
I do not think that all the aftermarket cruise controls are not public road legal. The once i checked either have no information or its right out written: "OFF ROAD USE ONLY"
Even a yamaha deeler will not flash normal MT-09 ecu with software from the GT version, wich have a CC. Normal version is not certified for a cruise control. Liability reasons.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:34 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
I would like to know his opinion.

What part of 'very definite refusal with no discussion' do you find difficult to understand? Mind you, you've made a DIY cruise control so clearly rational thinking isn't your strong point.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chester240 wrote:
I would like to know his opinion.

What part of 'very definite refusal with no discussion' do you find difficult to understand? Mind you, you've made a DIY cruise control so clearly rational thinking isn't your strong point.

You still have not given me an answer? I can understand refusal, even strong one but still no explanation. I'm not trying to sway you in any way. I just want to know why?

And since I have the skill and knowlage to design and build a DIY cruise control does not make me irrational.
It makes me smart.

There are countless riders that are dead due to excesive speed or just being plain stupid. But i'm still alive despite the disadvatage of having diy cruise control installed on my bike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:04 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
Ale the parts are off the shelf components easily available.

Cool.
chester240 wrote:

So all the parts aren't components that are easily available off the shelf?
chester240 wrote:
I do not think that all the aftermarket cruise controls are not public road legal.

Hmmm
a few posts ago, chester240 wrote:
You probably know that none of the available aftermarket cruise controls are road certified.

Is your insurance company happy for you to have a home made electronic cruise control which they're liable for you using?

Is your code open source?

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
chester240 wrote:
Ale the parts are off the shelf components easily available.

Cool.
chester240 wrote:

So all the parts aren't components that are easily available off the shelf?
chester240 wrote:
I do not think that all the aftermarket cruise controls are not public road legal.

Hmmm
a few posts ago, chester240 wrote:
You probably know that none of the available aftermarket cruise controls are road certified.

Is your insurance company happy for you to have a home made electronic cruise control which they're liable for you using?

Is your code open source?

All the electronic and hardware parts like bearings and bolts are off the shelf components. The 3D printed parts are by necessity not off the shelf but anyone can print it,
Regarding all aftermarket CC are not legal. I have written that maybe Harley has it legal but i have not checked. 100% of the once i checked are not road legal.
My insurance company is liable only for the damages i make to other road users. It does not matter how i do it. You are not allowed to do wheelies on a public road or exceed speed limit, but if you damage something during that the insurance company still pays out. As long as the bike have the insurance and have a yearly check on Vehicle control station i'm good to go.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:35 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders why all aftermarket ones aren't road legal....

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
One wonders why all aftermarket ones aren't road legal....

Because you need to pay a lot and probably certify to specific vehicle individually.
And i do not know if it is even possible.
I have not dug in to it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:09 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
My insurance company is liable only for the damages i make to other road users. It does not matter how i do it.

It does matter how because when taking out an insurance policy they ask you if the bike has been modified.

I'm still trying to understand how much control the rider is giving to the cruise control. Does the cruise control thing move the throttle accordingly and can you back off using the throttle to override the cruise control so that you can do an emergency stop without having to press switches or buttons to make the cruise control stop?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:25 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha cruise control works in a way that if you pull the clutch in or use the rear brake or use the front brake or twist the throttle to the closed position cancels your current speed setting.

Do any of those actions make your cruise control cancel your current speed setting?

A video about how Yamaha cruise controls work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYAt5f9YqlE

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:26 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll bite. I appreciate the challenge of making something, but I certainly wouldn't use it.

I have cruise control on my car, which I occasionally use. It uses radar to stop me ramming into the car in front. If I touch the brakes, it turns off. If I turn the steering wheel too far, it turns off. If I'm doing anything apart from going at a constant speed on a fairly clear motorway, it's either annoying or unusable because it keeps turning itself off to avoid crashing.

Do you have any of these safety features on your cruise control setup? In particular, turning it off when the rider uses the brakes or makes a hard turn? In an emergency situation I'm not looking for the button to turn off the cruise control, I'm braking and turning. If the cruise control is trying to keep my speed up during that manoeuvre, I'm crashing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:48 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a loop of insulated electrical cable over the throttle that you can jam into the gap between the flange of the twistgrip and the switchgear with your thumb holding it in place. It pops out again if you move the throttle.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the bake front or read cancels the CC. If there is no brake signal at startup it will not turn on. When the speed exceeds the the max it stops working. When you loos speed sensor signal it stops working. If the microcontroller brakes it stops working, when the signal, power or ground to the servo is cut it stops working. Older motorcycles do not have steering position sensors , i do not know if modern have, so i could not use it to cancel the operation. The clutch is incorporated in to the drive by wire version but i did not use it in my linkage version. The clutch in dl1000A only sends signal when fully engaged. I never fully engage a clutch even when stationary. During riding i only use two fingers on the clutch. I only need to press it fully to start the bike. I had a version of the device with a current sensor circut to cancel the CC with throttle twist but i decided to turn it off. Never realy needed it. And the whole device is 3D printed from ASA. How strong do you think it is. A strong twist and it brakes of. If this feature is requested i can easily incorporate it. It will take same time to code and test it but hardware side is simle.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:52 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, it's like trying to read something typed by someone whilst they are having a stroke.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I used to use a loop of insulated electrical cable over the throttle that you can jam into the gap between the flange of the twistgrip and the switchgear with your thumb holding it in place. It pops out again if you move the throttle.

I used omni cruise but it was a pain to set the same speed again after it was throttled back. I used to use rear brake to slow the bike i certain situations because i didn't want the hassle of setting speed again.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5