BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DIY electronic cruise control

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:29 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't seen a hissyfit of this magnitude since the Aaronses.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

From developing an aftermarket cruise control to ending the british empire in a single thread. Laughing

Do you have a cat?

https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Blofeld-Cat-in-James-Bond-From-Russia-With-Love.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail Hydra!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very well, but will it also wipe the rain from my visor?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:49 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper hissyfit with a name change as part of the flounce now...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:25 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try OP.

https://i.imgur.com/TPW4B5e.jpeg

Here's page one: https://i.imgur.com/Vwx6hpp.png
Page two: https://i.imgur.com/F3nu1gt.png
Three: https://i.imgur.com/7PeEsEC.png
And four: https://i.imgur.com/YLn1DQF.png

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:08 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general upshot is, the day I delegate throttle control of a motorcycle to a homebrewed arduino controlled stepper-motor is the day I'm fed up with life.

It's basically the same system electrically adjustable screens use and those fuck-up regularly.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:17 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not care. wrote:
My device was FREE to make for any one willing to do so.

And yet despite this, nobody wanted one. If that doesn't tell you something then maybe it's not us that's the idiots.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one weird episode. He seemed deeply surprised and even angry that there were no takers. But what surprises me is that the guy says he gets pain after a ride of just 50km, due to a bad back. I think that's a serious medical issue; practically a disability. His approach towards this was "unique" and didn't involve doctors but an electronics hobby kit. Doctors are a waste of space, and so are regulators, insurers, etc. lol

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:29 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I found really helps reduce hand fatigue over long journeys is fitting fatter handgrips. Oxford make some good ones called "fat grips". The only oxford product I'll use on my bikes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:33 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suspect riding a cruiser doesn't help matters if you get back pain. Riding a more retro-style bike so your back is straight and shoulders, hips and feet are aligned is good. As are super-scooters. Then you can easily take some of the weight on your legs during normal riding and it's easier to "post" if you go over jarring bumps or potholes.

I have had many different bikes over the years and my enfield bullet has far and away the most "sensible" riding position.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsurprisingly I've found converting my Vitpilen from faux clip-ons to the more "standard" Svartpilen handlebars a lot less tiring. Even so, it's remarkable how untiring the bike is to ride on my usual commutes but then everything's lighter: the bike, the throttle, the clutch. Now it just needs a decent seat and I'd be unfazed by hour-long rides.

Regarding cruisers, the old fella's Breakout is arguably as cruisery as it gets. Bone stock the handlebars are almost a straight bar which means your upper body has to lean forward whilst also having the forward foot position pegs. He swapped in OEM Fat Boy handle bars which are much more swept back so you can sit upright. (Personally, I can't get on with swept back handlebars at all - the angle's all wrong for my wrists.)

Bike ergos are built for Average Joe Everyman so it's inevitable owners would desire to tweak them to their personal preference. I'm still not convinced "cruise control" goes in the ergonomics box.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:09 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I have had many different bikes over the years and my enfield bullet has far and away the most "sensible" riding position.

Ah yes, the classic ergonomics of the Enfield riding position. Nothing quite as comfortable as sitting in the passenger seat of a breakdown van.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford Fat Grips are my preferred grips as well. I even have them on my pushbike. My perception is that they give me better sensitivity and control.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5