Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do the Tories want to lose the next election?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:37 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Whoever gets in will be presiding over the ultimate shit show of closing down internal combustion cars because apparently it all got enshrined in unchangeable legislation years ago when 2030 seemed a long way off.

The reality of this starts to bite next year as part of the way it will be enforced is draconian fines on manufactures who don't sell an escalating percentage of EVs - they have to be at 80% in five years.
It simply can't be done.

It's not happening by 2030, the date will keep getting moved.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:21 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to get over the need to actually own a car. There's a car pool scheme in Edinburgh and mates who live in town are finding it great. No overheads, just book a car when you need one (even for just an hour to go to the shops). Works out cheaper for them and none of the hassle dealing with parking permits, breakdowns, theft etc.

Harder to do in a rural environment but most people live in towns.

A lot of the market has moved to PDP anyway but it's still kind of like an ownership model, it needs to go further.

I can see my household moving to having a shittly little EV for buzzing about locally, using the company pool van for work and picking up a bigger pay as you use "car club" vehicle on the occasions I need to go further/carry more.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
...one of their most right wing episodes in power.

Right Wing Moment? Not quite sure how leaning into the Climate Change scam could ever be seen as "Right Wing." Are we even talking about the same thing?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
We need to get over the need to actually own a car. There's a car pool scheme in Edinburgh and mates who live in town are finding it great. No overheads, just book a car when you need one (even for just an hour to go to the shops). Works out cheaper for them and none of the hassle dealing with parking permits, breakdowns, theft etc.

With all due respect, sounds like "You will own nothing and you will be happy." Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:06 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

With all due respect, sounds like "You will own nothing and you will be happy." Sad

In this case it is though. All the benefits of owning a car without shelling out for purchase and upkeep of a large ticket lifestyle item that spends most of its time doing nothing and costing you money. How can it be a bad thing?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
How can it be a bad thing?

The person who had it before you might have been a vet who had just done a particularly well ripened retained placenta.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communally owned items are treated with less respect than the least respectful member of said community.

When the Soviets collectivised the farms, converting the serfs into slave labour, private property was abolished. At the end of a shift, tools were left in the fields to rust. No one looked after anything and if a tool broke they waited until the State provided another.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:19 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Communally owned items are treated with less respect than the least respectful member of said community.

When the Soviets collectivised the farms, converting the serfs into slave labour, private property was abolished. At the end of a shift, tools were left in the fields to rust. No one looked after anything and if a tool broke they waited until the State provided another.

I wasn't suggesting the state provides cars for anyone to use. I was proposing something akin to a short term rental where the rental cars are parked at a wide variety of locations. The manufacturers would need to take a lead on this. They seem to be managing to keep them in good order in the existing schemes.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:12 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

a used EV being sold off the forecourt in a few years time may well remove a new EV sale required to hit quota, hence the dealers dont/wont want used EV as trade-in. Its the new diamond, expensive to buy and almost nobody wants it back fir even a reasonable haircut.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Harder to do in a rural environment but most people live in towns.

A lot of the market has moved to PDP anyway but it's still kind of like an ownership model, it needs to go further.

I can see my household moving to having a shittly little EV for buzzing about locally, using the company pool van for work and picking up a bigger pay as you use "car club" vehicle on the occasions I need to go further/carry more.

As long as you don't care how many dings are in your dodgem car. Laughing

People tend to not take too much care of shared equipment.

And knowing my luck, there would be no petrol in the Hoowur when I wanted to use it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

And knowing my luck, there would be no petrol in the Hoowur when I wanted to use it.

Totally agree. Even within our household when I bought my daughter her first car she treated it as her personal skip. Always full of rubbish. No maintenance done unless I did it or organised it. Car fell apart within a few years. When I refused to buy her another she had to save and buy a much lower grade car than I bought her but she looks after this one, I wonder why. Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Totally agree. Even within our household when I bought my daughter her first car she treated it as her personal skip. Always full of rubbish. No maintenance done unless I did it or organised it. Car fell apart within a few years. When I refused to buy her another she had to save and buy a much lower grade car than I bought her but she looks after this one, I wonder why. Rolling Eyes

^^This 110% Opened the boot one time on my daughter's car to check the spare tyre and it was full of shoes and clothes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:05 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I think you'll find dings matter a lot less to you if a) It isn't your car resale value that's being affected by them and b) You didn't do them and so don't need to pay to have them fixed.

They are generally electric and you pay for them until they are returned and plugged back into the charger/parking space.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a guide to success we can look at the rental eBike/eScooter schemes.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

I think you'll find dings matter a lot less to you if a) It isn't your car resale value that's being affected by them and b) You didn't do them and so don't need to pay to have them fixed.

They are generally electric and you pay for them until they are returned and plugged back into the charger/parking space.

Cars are seen as an extension to ego by many. It's partly what drives the car industry and pays for the predatory ponces who mince around in car dealerships.

I personally would not like pool cars and would only use one at a push.

I use hotels a lot and know where the dirty bits are to be found.
The man who whips his skidders off then sits on the bed with his anoos, kok n bawz resting on the bed spread. Sick

Pool cars will have nose pickings and fast food wiped over all surfaces.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Cars are seen as an extension to ego by many.

And they have two headlights so the front is an approximation of a face.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the thread topic, not giving the money back to the donor has to be a calculated move, as every decision made by Tory Head Office is. Someone will have decided that bringing Ms Abbott back into the spotlight causes Labour more harm than good irrespective of how it is done, and they may well have a point...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Back to the thread topic, not giving the money back to the donor has to be a calculated move, as every decision made by Tory Head Office is. Someone will have decided that bringing Ms Abbott back into the spotlight causes Labour more harm than good irrespective of how it is done, and they may well have a point...

They also started to look at other Tory donors to try and keep the momentum going. What would happen if the net were widened to encompass Labour and Lib-Dem financial backers? Thinking

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is rotten in the State of the UK, that is for sure....

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:05 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Aye, the price of used cars!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Cast your eye further. There are no good politicians in any cuntry anywhere today.

They seem to rely on the lesser of two evils now. Rather than political competency.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Cast your eye further. There are no good politicians in any cuntry anywhere today.

Bukele (El Salvador) and Milei (Argentina)

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 24 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angela Rayner branded today Rishi Sunak a pint-sized loser in reply to Oliver Dowden at PMQ

Quote:
“Has he finally realised that when he stabbed Boris Johnson in the back to get his mate into No 10 he was ditching their biggest election winner for a pint-sized loser?”

Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 24 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and Rayner supporting Boris. Never thought it would happen. I like it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 25 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get over CameronDroid Mk2 rebooting and installing CameronDroid Mk1 Smile
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2