Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Front end noise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Front end noise Reply with quote

Evening folks,

I've had a loud noise coming from the front end of my Vstrom for a couple of months.

Dropped it off at my local garage, they changed the brake pads as they were very worn, but this made no change.

I have changed the wheel bearings, but the noise remains. The wheel spins, but there is a bit of rubbing.

Next steps are a full caliper rebuild as the smaller piston on both sides are quite stiff. If this does nothing, I'm thinking a warped disc, though I don't feel the often documented "pulsing" through the brake lever.

Without taking the disc off, how else can I check for a warped disc?
Any other things to be taking a close look at?

Cheers, folks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hitch up the front end and spin the wheel it should keep on spinning for ages. If not, at least it might help you discern where the rubbing sound is coming from.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:48 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the speedo drive as a potential source of your funny noises? I've had bikes sounding like the front end was going to fly off into space when all they needed was the speedo drive oiling.

If you can find a way of attaching it (eg a bolt through the calliper mounts), you can mount a dial-guage indicator on the fork leg.

A dirty way of doing this is to mount a piece of threaded bar in one of the calliper lugs using two nuts and adjust it so it is JUST standing off the surface of the disc. Then watch the gap to see if it runs wider and narrower. You can take it one step further and mark the point where the end of the bar is closest to the disc. Adjust it so the bar is barely touching the disc at this point then turn the wheel so you are at the largest gap. You can then measure the maximum runout with a feeler guage.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:38 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with pushing the pads away from the discs on both sides and then spinning the wheel. That will at least discount either the brakes or the bearing/axle/speedo drive.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pads 'should' drag slightly. So the wheel won't spin really freely.
Unless you push the pads into the f
Callipers.
The seals around the pistons as designed to flex back slightly when brake pressure is released. That provides almost instantaneous brake pad application when brake pressure is applied. (To reduce stopping times/distance.)

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:08 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does look like the disc is warped, it's quite likely not.

I this on a CB500 years ago. The aluminium alloy wheel had corroded a bit where the disc bolts to it, and the corrosion was uneven across the bolts. The corrosion was pushing the disc up a bit on some place, making it appear warped.

Removing the disc and sanding the contact points on the wheel back to clean metal did the job.

Caliper rebuild first though.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks.

It looks like the discs are ok. Looks like a caliper rebuild for the Easter weekend. How exciting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1