Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear Shifting Very Difficult

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:21 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Gear Shifting Very Difficult Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
You've probably come across this a lot. My suzuki is notorioulsy bad at changing gears. It's very difficult to shift from Neutral, to 1, then to 2 and most of all I can't get it into 3rd gear! After struggling it finally gets to 3rd gear!
I don't really have any clutch cable free play. The bike only has under 8000 miles! Mad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:33 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the chain tension? Over-tight chan can make for terrible shifting.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This any help?

https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=21656.0

From recent experience a new clutch cable can do wonders if the various adjustment points have already been tinkered with.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:54 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
How's the chain tension? Over-tight chan can make for terrible shifting.

Chain is not tight. All good and I've done a visual and checked it with my hand.
The ony change I did do was I added to it. The cush drives were quite loose when I put the sprocket holder. So I've wrapped some pieces of rubber inner tubes over the cush drives to make a better more solid conneciton. So now theres no play in the sprocket holder. I got this solution from Youtube...
https://youtu.be/CXwie8-cNoE?si=-D5fH4lUVuVYHFyA
It does have the 'Change Oil' light on the dash though but I don't think it's that. The bike only has under 8000 miles on a 2019 plate.
One thing to note is that I'm having to pull the clutch lever all the way into the handlebar, actually touching it to make any gear changes. Not sure if that is good.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:36 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to look down the oil filler hole with a torch and see what sort of clutch plate stack seperation you're getting when you pull the clutch lever.

How far away from the lever is the bite point in first?

It almost sounds like you aren't getting good stack seperation. One possible reason for this is a notched clutch basket but that would be odd with only 8k miles, it would probably indicate a very ham-fisted use of the clutch or downright abuse. If there's notching, you might even be able to see it with the afore-mentioned torch.

If the bite point is very near the bars with no free play or you're not getting much movement of the clutch plates, it would probably be worth having a good look at the clutch, check for notching, worn friction plates, buckled slipper plates (put them on a piece of glass to check flatness) and any issues with the release mechanism. Also free and smooth cable movement.

One trick is if you lean the bike way over to the left side, you can usually remove the clutch cover without dropping the oil. You will amost certainly need a new cover gasket though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much any cable driven clutch should had a touch of play at the lever. You say you're pulling the lever all the way to the handlebar. If you also have a lot of play in the lever I'd suggest fiddling with the cable adjuster and taking out the slack. On the other hand if there's no play you might try adjusting at the clutch end, I think you'll find it in the centre of the clutch basket. (Parts 22 & 23 here) And then as I said, try a new cable if you've done all that.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR

There's another interesting cause of tight shifts.

If the cage is worn the plates are not free to separate.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:50 - 03 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've screwed it up even more! Mad
It's now stuck at 3rd gear and won't shift up or down. Looks like I'll have to strip her down.
I'll try and do a video if I can...

...After some YouTubing, appears I need to check the Shift return spring.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:55 - 06 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
OK, So i;ve got a quick video of the issue.
The bike is stuck in third gear and will not shift up or down. I've held in the clutch lever but not joy. Rear wheel in continous spin. I hope someone can point me in the right direction... Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMKuzvWgRAQ

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:45 - 06 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Sounds like it may be something more fundamental then like a bent or damaged part in the selector mechanism or even a bent rod or selector fork in the gearbox.

I'm in no way familiar with your bike, never really worked on Suzukis. Some bikes have an external selector mechanism you can get at without splitting the engine. Gearbox internals are usually an engine out and bottom off job unless they made 250 v-stroms with a casette gearbox.

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:31 - 06 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your gear lever slipping/loose on the spine. have you checked that. maybe the clutch cabble has stretched/worn

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 07 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your clutch is not releasing. Notice how your rear wheel spins regardless the position of the clutch lever. That is not right. It may spin slowly with the clutch released, but not like that. Tut Tut

Inspect and repair your clutch before you condemn transmission internals.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:03 - 07 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what the clutch is or isn't doing, It should still pop out of third gear when you push down on the lever with the engine idling and the wheel turning. I've ridden a bike hundreds of miles with a broken clutch cable.

Looks like there is a complete lack of resistance on the gearshift, nothing to feel when you push it up or down? That would suggest something wrong with the selector mechanism to me.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:43 - 07 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Your clutch is not releasing. Notice how your rear wheel spins regardless the position of the clutch lever. That is not right. It may spin slowly with the clutch released, but not like that. Tut Tut

Inspect and repair your clutch before you condemn transmission internals.

I have to hold the clutch lever in to start the bike and the rear wheel is stationary. As soon as I release the clutch, the wheel starts to spin. ANd it continues to spin after that regardless if I pull in the clutch.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 07 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the bike come out of third with the engine off?

May need to be rocked but should shift if not running without needing the clutch.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 08 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:
ANd it continues to spin after that regardless if I pull in the clutch.

So it's still in gear.
Is your clutch cable stretched? Can you pull it further if you disconnect it from the lever, and tug on it with a pair of pliers?

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:21 - 08 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Will the bike come out of third with the engine off?

May need to be rocked but should shift if not running without needing the clutch.

So I've taken it off centre stand and tried to rock it back and forth with the clutch lever pressed, no good still in gear. Crying or Very sad

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 08 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:

So I've taken it off centre stand and tried to rock it back and forth with the clutch lever pressed, no good still in gear. Crying or Very sad

That's concerning. It should be able to shift if the engine's off without the clutch.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:06 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok fellas.
I'm not sure if I was to blame for this. I feel like a right lemon for doing this. When I got the bike, I thought I'd give the front and rear sprockets a clean with parafin (kerosine). I took off the front sprocket cover and sprayed a liberal amount of parafin. After a couple of minutes, I used a jet wash to wash it down. Both the front and rear sprocket.
Is it likely that the parafin ad water has gone into the gear system? Embarassed Crying or Very sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:43 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:
Ok fellas.
I'm not sure if I was to blame for this. I feel like a right lemon for doing this. When I got the bike, I thought I'd give the front and rear sprockets a clean with parafin (kerosine). I took off the front sprocket cover and sprayed a liberal amount of parafin. After a couple of minutes, I used a jet wash to wash it down. Both the front and rear sprocket.
Is it likely that the parafin ad water has gone into the gear system? Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I doubt it. I've done the same myself. If you'd blasted any significant amount of water into the gearbox past the oil seal, you'd see signs of water contamination of the engine oil, so the sight glass would be fogged up and you'd have mayonaise type deposits inside the engine.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:22 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same exact with my Honda CB and no issues with that. In fact, I would do the Parafin and Pressure washer wash every 1000 miles. This has not affected the other bike.

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:48 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont no nothing about your bike. do you take the gear lever of to take the sprocket cover of. if so have you put the gear lever back on in the same position.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:04 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
dont no nothing about your bike. do you take the gear lever of to take the sprocket cover of. if so have you put the gear lever back on in the same position.

Hi, no I did not take the Gear lever off to take the front sprocket cover off the front sprocket cover can come off with the two bolts which then exposes the front sprockets However, I did take the Gear lever off to clean it and re-lube it. It looks like as though I will have to be taking the engine casing off from the right hand side and to inspect the shift rod. I’ve never done this, but looking forward to doing it

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:39 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I re-use the cluthc gasket if i open her up? It's 8000 on clock on a 2019 plate. Gasket itself is 50 quid! Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:27 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:
Can I re-use the cluthc gasket if i open her up? It's 8000 on clock on a 2019 plate. Gasket itself is 50 quid! Rolling Eyes

Probably tear it when you remove the cover.

You can cut one out for yourself out of the back of a cereal packet. Or even proper gasket paper which is available from online retailers.

A clutch cover gasket would seem like a lot of effort to cut out by hand... But £50 buys a lot more effort than a fiver.

I usually lightly oil the cover and "stamp" the gasket pattern onto the card/gasket paper to cut it out. Make sure you don't miss out any holes for oil passageways, although I doubt there will be any on the clutch cover.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3