Gear Shifting Very Difficult

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:
Can I re-use the cluthc gasket if i open her up? It's 8000 on clock on a 2019 plate. Gasket itself is 50 quid! Rolling Eyes

I recently removed the clutch cover on my 2015 YBR to service the oil filter screen; the gasket came off intact. But as a rule, the gasket loses resiliency when the cover is tightened down (heat cycles contribute as well). If you apply sealant to the gasket the joint will be leak tight, but will make disassembly difficult in the future. Please don't do that. Aftermarket gaskets can be had for much less than 50 quid. Here is a complete gasket set for less than £16:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gasket-Set-Yamaha-YBR-Cooled/dp/B077LYQ5VQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=QD37G35AB631&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.oqTpx1wrcTeYWKZgiI2THg1mek8sL2P9dnBmKkCKaSoLu4zFPVAG6nRz8z2K2zK2Fo-VYht-3Zb3BHb_IdwLfIU_AUDnDAQEXvrB8QYe13RgHnqF4OjBBhLJfdBvQOMHGl7Gzv750ak6mFbBoicnQbQIaIXOdWY4ritinL9omcTNph1w2ecCgQFlB7E8idnCJUH4wREcdl_OkUfW5vijGTkgdonYA5ytlEkQqHQq85DArVyvJHDGXL_fIib5drV4qG3zh4ldcBFvWMRRLFGrqJuFrR3t6k5MdaAPkcBTTo4.9rCpai9QmrRu85cTRhx9jhIv39t9WOS2bq_5oHyXb8M&dib_tag=se&keywords=ybr+125+clutch+gasket&qid=1712935829&quartzVehicle=35-10592&replacementKeywords=ybr+clutch+gasket&sprefix=ybr+125+gas%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-1

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...Make sure you don't miss out any holes for oil passageways, although I doubt there will be any on the clutch cover.

There are two slots on the lower forward side for the oil filter screen, and one along the top, presumably for the crankcase breather.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
flyingcbf wrote:
Can I re-use the cluthc gasket if i open her up? It's 8000 on clock on a 2019 plate. Gasket itself is 50 quid! Rolling Eyes

Probably tear it when you remove the cover.

You can cut one out for yourself out of the back of a cereal packet. Or even proper gasket paper which is available from online retailers.

A clutch cover gasket would seem like a lot of effort to cut out by hand... But £50 buys a lot more effort than a fiver.

I usually lightly oil the cover and "stamp" the gasket pattern onto the card/gasket paper to cut it out. Make sure you don't miss out any holes for oil passageways, although I doubt there will be any on the clutch cover.

Cereal Packet??? That'll defo save me a packet! Smile

That's a fantastic idea of stenciling out a new gasket. Has it been done and is it reliable? Don't want to spend 50 quid on some paper!

BTW: I saw this guy on youtube, Delboys Garage. He used some sort of sealant on the clutch cover, then placed a gasket and then lightly greased the gasket. He said he's never had any issues with this. He advised that the grease wil help seal it and also aid when removing.

Last edited by flyingcbf on 21:01 - 12 Apr 2024; edited 1 time in total

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:55 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
flyingcbf wrote:

I recently removed the clutch cover on my 2015 YBR to service the oil filter screen; the gasket came off intact. But as a rule, the gasket loses resiliency when the cover is tightened down (heat cycles contribute as well). If you apply sealant to the gasket the joint will be leak tight, but will make disassembly difficult in the future. Please don't do that. Aftermarket gaskets can be had for much less than 50 quid. Here is a complete gasket set for less than £16:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gasket-Set-Yamaha-YBR-Cooled/dp/B077LYQ5VQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=QD37G35AB631&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.oqTpx1wrcTeYWKZgiI2THg1mek8sL2P9dnBmKkCKaSoLu4zFPVAG6nRz8z2K2zK2Fo-VYht-3Zb3BHb_IdwLfIU_AUDnDAQEXvrB8QYe13RgHnqF4OjBBhLJfdBvQOMHGl7Gzv750ak6mFbBoicnQbQIaIXOdWY4ritinL9omcTNph1w2ecCgQFlB7E8idnCJUH4wREcdl_OkUfW5vijGTkgdonYA5ytlEkQqHQq85DArVyvJHDGXL_fIib5drV4qG3zh4ldcBFvWMRRLFGrqJuFrR3t6k5MdaAPkcBTTo4.9rCpai9QmrRu85cTRhx9jhIv39t9WOS2bq_5oHyXb8M&dib_tag=se&keywords=ybr+125+clutch+gasket&qid=1712935829&quartzVehicle=35-10592&replacementKeywords=ybr+clutch+gasket&sprefix=ybr+125+gas%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-1

Thanks but that gasket is for a differerent bike. MIne is Suzuki V-Strom DL250 2019 Smile

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:58 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
...Make sure you don't miss out any holes for oil passageways, although I doubt there will be any on the clutch cover.

There are two slots on the lower forward side for the oil filter screen, and one along the top, presumably for the crankcase breather.

Thanks for this. Stinkwheel mentioned that you can stencil out the gasket from the engine area which is what I will do. I hope the cereal packet is a capable material Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:01 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use cereal packet all the time for gaskets. Alpen boxes seem particularly good, I always save these.

Proper gasket paper is also cheap. Amazon do flexoid gasket paper in a variety of thicknesses. I don't know how thick yours is, you'd probably need to measure the old one with a vernier/micrometer. That said, the thickness isn't all that critical on a japanese bike clutch cover because there aren't any spaced/shimmed clearances running in it. It's more critical on things like vertically split crankcase halves or gearboxes, or anything where a shaft of some sort is running between the two surfaces you are sealing.

The other (more traditional) way of taking the impression is to lay the paper over the surface and gently tap round the edge with a small hammer which will put creases in the paper where the edges are.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:10 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I use cereal packet all the time for gaskets. Alpen boxes seem particularly good, I always save these.

Proper gasket paper is also cheap. Amazon do flexoid gasket paper in a variety of thicknesses. I don't know how thick yours is, you'd probably need to measure the old one with a vernier/micrometer. That said, the thickness isn't all that critical on a japanese bike clutch cover because there aren't any spaced/shimmed clearances running in it. It's more critical on things like vertically split crankcase halves or gearboxes, or anything where a shaft of some sort is running between the two surfaces you are sealing.

The other (more traditional) way of taking the impression is to lay the paper over the surface and gently tap round the edge with a small hammer which will put creases in the paper where the edges are.

Did you have to use a sealant and or grease with the gaskets you made? Thanks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:59 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workshop manuals will usually tell you if there's a bit you need sealant on, it usually isn't the whole gasket. Most often where a rubber grommet goes through the joint. I sometimes grease them, sometimes don't. I'm not convinced it makes much difference other than allowing it to come off cleanly on future dissasembly. An odd thin smear of grease can be useful to hold it in place. Grease is engineers glue.

Don't believe everything you hear on Delboys Garage. He can be a bit redneck at times.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:02 - 13 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:
...Did you have to use a sealant and or grease with the gaskets you made? Thanks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Often times grease is used to hold a gasket in place during assembly. If your clutch cover has dowels, that would probably be enough to preclude the necessity of grease or sealant to hold the gasket in place. If you decide to use sealant, one trick is to apply it only between the cover and the gasket, using grease on the engine case side. That will encourage the gasket to come off with the cover upon future disassembly, making gasket removal a simpler task. Some bikes have clutch covers where the engine case-clutch cover interface is recessed; difficult to access if you need to scrape old gasket material away. If you intend to keep the bike long term, this sealant/grease combo could make your life easier next time around. No need to use either grease or sealant on gaskets that have a moulded-in silicone seal, aka "print-o-seal".

In summary, although you need a leak-tight seal, remember that your actions now have consequence in the future for whomever will be working with these parts again. That person could be you.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:49 - 13 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it into NEUTRAL!!!

The gear lever now feels as though it's engaging. I've done nothing elese except pop pff the clutch cover...

I popped off the clutch cover, here it is....
https://youtu.be/ZdH-a7Cbj60

The clutch lever in play...
https://youtu.be/IUZDudwhAdc

but hang on!!!!
I've noticed some white residue...
https://youtu.be/kttaS_AzGRM

Could the above be due to water and parafin that I used not long ago which might have crept in???

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:38 - 13 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleaned the back of the clutch cover with brake cleaner and now looks good.
Question: Can I blast brake cleaner on the exposed engine parts?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:55 - 13 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

That residue was probably just condensation, it's very light.

I can't think why taking that cover off would have freed up the gearshift but a win is a win.

Has the bike been ridden recently? When you pull the clutch, the stack is moving but not seperating very convincingly. It might be worth taking all the plates out and putting them back in again in case they are stuck together.

You can clean engine componants with brake cleaner, it all evaporates anyway. That said, it all looks very clean in there. The clutch looks in good nick too.

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:19 - 13 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike has been stationary for two-three weeks now due to the gear issue.
I can certainly have a go at taking those plates out but as an extra step, I could blast some brake cleaner at those plates? Then soak them in engine oil overnight?
My only concern is the torque settings for the clutch system, it's nowhere to be found on the net. Thumbs Up

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:50 - 14 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
flyingcbf wrote:

Probably tear it when you remove the cover.

You can cut one out for yourself out of the back of a cereal packet. Or even proper gasket paper which is available from online retailers.

A clutch cover gasket would seem like a lot of effort to cut out by hand... But £50 buys a lot more effort than a fiver.

I usually lightly oil the cover and "stamp" the gasket pattern onto the card/gasket paper to cut it out. Make sure you don't miss out any holes for oil passageways, although I doubt there will be any on the clutch cover.

I've just had my first ever attempt at cutting out a gasket from a cereral box
The most difficult part was removing the old gasket material from the clutch cover but a bucket of hot and some patience did the trick!

I might have a few goes at cutting out a new gasket until I'm happy to put it on Thumbs Up

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:25 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather has been so terrible still waiting to get out there and get some further work done. Thumbs Up

Question: Which oil would you put in your 4 stroke bike and why?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:18 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:
The weather has been so terrible still waiting to get out there and get some further work done. Thumbs Up

I would happily put either in there because they are both the correct viscosity and both exceed the manufacturers recommended grade.

Motorbike engines are on the whole fairly simple things which don't need very fancy oil. The important things are changing it when it's supposed to be changed and not running out.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:36 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingcbf wrote:

Just put fully synth Motul 7100 in mine. Why? Because its pink of course. Also meets/exceeds requirements and is cheaper than Yamalube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:07 - 20 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've gone ahead and created a gasket from think paper. Similar thickness to cereal packet Very Happy
I've used normal bearing grease to use as stencil.
Waiting for the gasket seal to dry. It does say 24 hours to fully cure before filling her up with oil

https://youtu.be/z6nngORIbu4

Thumbs Up

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:08 - 21 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so today I've gone ahead and filled her up with new oil and oil filter. I was really worried that it may leak from somewhere but so far no leaks detected. I took her out for a spin and made sure I used all 6 gears and brought her up to temperature. So far so good.
I took her out again and brought up to temperate using all six gears. Brough her back and cracked open the sump plug and oil filter. All oil drained out.
Then re-filled new engine oil and oil filter. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:57 - 21 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a waste of oil.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:43 - 21 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What a waste of oil.

They only take around a litre I think but yes a tad wasteful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:15 - 22 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you read the whole post but it would appear that the engine oil might have got contaminated. Hence the need to flush it out.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 22 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What a waste of oil.

..but perfect for your fence/shed etc.. the blacker the better.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:25 - 23 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, So I've booked the bike for an MOT later today.
Ive driven it out again and noticed that after about 20 mins of riding, the gear shifting seems to have become a little stiff again. It started out butter smooth so not sure what gives? Sad

flyingcbf
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:29 - 25 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaps,
So any suggestion as to where to look? I came into work today and the gears shifting was super smooth but only for the first 15-20 mins. After that, gear shifting became stiff and difficult (hard) to shift into.

Clutch Friction Plates???
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3