Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Glucosamine - any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Glucosamine - any good? Reply with quote

Strained/damaged a cuff rotator tendon about a month ago - trying to stop a falling m'bike Shocked ..

.. read somewhere Glucosamine supplement can help repair damaged joints but my mate says it's nonsense, fairy dust. I'd bought some so I'm taking it anyway but is he right?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:44 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge there's no clinical evidence it helps. Not that there have been a lot of good studies.

People use it in their dogs too. My general advice is it's very unlikely to make things worse*. They usually come along with a high essential fatty acid suppliment too, there is more evicence for these being a good thing for you generally, although it's not so clear if it's specifically good for your musculoskeletal system.

*I am an outlying case where it made things worse, I tried a glucosamine suppliment which also contained a high EFA content. As it turns out this was made from green lip mussel extract which gave me an almost immediate and severe gout flare-up and totally crippled me for several days. To the point I had to drag myself on my backside to get between my bed and the toilet.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:23 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working abroad and had a foot injury, I was told to drink these little shots of collagen for similar reasons.

After doing a lot of reading and trying to understand if there is anything that helps, my conclusion was no, not really. Not collagen or glucosamine as your body needs to do the repairs and having extra "stuff" in your system, doesn't promote faster or better healing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:17 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps with arthritis type joint issues, not with muscular ones from my understanding. I've been taking it for years as I have a genetic bone disorder and I'm a bit concerned it might give me a higher risk of arthritis... I can't say a lot other than I've been taking it and I don't currently have arthritis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps - IIRC this particular preaption come bundled with Vitamin C in something that resembles a horse tablet..

No side affects I can tell so far and the shoulder is getting better little by little although I'm inclined to use it when perhaps I shouldn't be...

Maybe I'll take a few more if only for teh Vit C to keep Scurvy at bay...

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Glucosamine - any good? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Strained/damaged a cuff rotator tendon about a month ago - trying to stop a falling m'bike Shocked ..

.. read somewhere Glucosamine supplement can help repair damaged joints but my mate says it's nonsense, fairy dust. I'd bought some so I'm taking it anyway but is he right?

I tore my rotator cuff a few months ago and I still struggle sleeping and my pointer finger and middle finger still have lessened sensitivity due to the damage. If glucosamine works then I will start popping it like candy.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immobilise/support the joint if there's severe pain. An over thencounter analgesic. Tendons and ligaments take forever to heal. And usually never return to their former glory.

I blootered my shoulder when I mis-rode my bike and had to step off at about 20mph. I think it was clavicle and rotator cuff, nerve damage and other connective/soft tissue damage.
I still cannot play the piano.

I got one of those powerball things to play with. Resistance Training. I believe it helped speed recovery and build up the joint.
I never got any medical attention for it.
It would have been strapped up and I was travelling at the time.

Ask your GP. They may refer you to a physio.
Or... go private.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:24 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point going to a GP, they are useless about orthopaedics. You'll be better before an NHS physio referral comes through (and may have healed wrong in the interim).

An appointment with a private physio is worth it. They'll give you exercises to do to help it heal correctly without impingements or loss of movement.

I damaged my shoulder a few years back. Thankfully I didn't tear my rotator cuff, I just flat out broke it, avulsed the greater tubercle of the humerus falling off a ladder.

I was given a lot of exercises to do, none of them particularly arduous but just to be done regularly. I'd say it's 90-95% of where it was before now although it was a long journey, shoulders are an outrageously tricky joint in humans. Took a year before i could lift my arm over shoulder height unassisted.

As I remember, I only needed two physio appointments. They showed me the exercises, I did them, it got better. I'm a physios least favourite patient. Mrs stinkwheel is their favourite kind, they give her the exercises, she does them for a week then forgets about it and comes back in six months for another appointment because the problem isn't better. Good repeat business.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 03 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it now and then (similarly, of the huge "plus VitC" variety) but I have no idea if it works or not. As its only occasionally, it probably doesn't make any difference.

I randomly take an assortment of supplements to make myself feel vindicated that I am "kinda doing something" to help myself in my old age. I keep them in the kitchen drawer along with a bottle of Vit D, some folic acid (because stupidly anaemic if I don't pay attention to nutrition) and a bottle of Cod Liver Oil (horse tablets) and just take some when I remember.

Sometimes I take a fizzy multivitamin so that I am "like me but on a really good day".

I'm not terribly consistent about it, I see it more as a topping-up-the-levels kind of thing due to my somewhat erratic eating plan ("mostly-keto") Laughing

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:17 - 03 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towards the end of my mountain biking days I took a variety of supplements in a vain attempt to stave off the ravages of time. In retrospect I wish I hadn't. Think I've screwed up my insides, perhaps the liver. Whether thats down to the supplement itself or potentially untrustworthy sources I don't know. Too many unknowns - better to stick to natural sources.

Stopped all of it when my gut developed a sudden acute reaction to whey protein shakes. Megavomit with even a teaspoon full.

On rotator cuffs (and AC joints) - best recovery seemed to be the old classic - dont use it. Cheap commonly available straps help with that too. This is only for the lower grade injuries though as for both surgery is often required.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 03 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I take it now and then (similarly, of the huge "plus VitC" variety) but I have no idea if it works or not. As its only occasionally, it probably doesn't make any difference.

I randomly take an assortment of supplements to make myself feel vindicated that I am "kinda doing something" to help myself in my old age. I keep them in the kitchen drawer along with a bottle of Vit D, some folic acid (because stupidly anaemic if I don't pay attention to nutrition) and a bottle of Cod Liver Oil (horse tablets) and just take some when I remember.

Sometimes I take a fizzy multivitamin so that I am "like me but on a really good day".

I'm not terribly consistent about it, I see it more as a topping-up-the-levels kind of thing due to my somewhat erratic eating plan ("mostly-keto") Laughing

How is keto working for you? I went keto for about 4 months and lost a good 6 stone of weight but I couldn't stay on keto, it's too hard going to business dinners and having to be ultra picky as unless the place sold steak with non-starchy vegetables you were fucked as everything was carbs.

Eventually that was the thing that made me come off keto. I was limiting carbs to less than 15g a day and I even tried to cut down on fat (even though you're allowed fat on keto). It was really working for me and weirdly I always had energy.

Keto for me was a massive pain to get into. The change period of four days was brutal.

DaddyStu wrote:
Towards the end of my mountain biking days I took a variety of supplements in a vain attempt to stave off the ravages of time. In retrospect I wish I hadn't. Think I've screwed up my insides, perhaps the liver. Whether thats down to the supplement itself or potentially untrustworthy sources I don't know. Too many unknowns - better to stick to natural sources.

Stopped all of it when my gut developed a sudden acute reaction to whey protein shakes. Megavomit with even a teaspoon full.

On rotator cuffs (and AC joints) - best recovery seemed to be the old classic - dont use it. Cheap commonly available straps help with that too. This is only for the lower grade injuries though as for both surgery is often required.

The thing that is going to destroy my insides is that I take two aspirin and two ibuprofen everyday to stave off knee joint pain Crying or Very sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 03 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Keto for me was a massive pain to get into.

Try the "Mediterranean Diet" - lot more easy going.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/why-are-mediterranean-diets-so-healthy

That being said, personally the only thing for body repair I'd consider is eating more steak.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 03 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

The trick with joint injuries is to support the joint.
But it has to be moved to prevent bits that should be separate from growing together into one piece.
Scar tissue likes to weld bits together.
Resting but with activity too.
Some resistance work to prevent muscle wasting.
It will hurt. So analgesic works or steroids. To help speed up some of the process.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:44 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is keto working for you? I went keto for about 4 months and lost a good 6 stone of weight but I couldn't stay on keto, it's too hard going to business dinners and having to be ultra picky as unless the place sold steak with non-starchy vegetables you were fucked as everything was carbs.

Eventually that was the thing that made me come off keto. I was limiting carbs to less than 15g a day and I even tried to cut down on fat (even though you're allowed fat on keto). It was really working for me and weirdly I always had energy.

Keto for me was a massive pain to get into. The change period of four days was brutal.

Worked well for me, also. Five stone (although I put probably 2 back on, crept back on slowly when I was dating the Senior Consort and then comfort eating when we split up) - but once I get my head into the keto routine, I'm pretty happy with it.

I eat a lot of omelettes (brie, for preference) and salad, and force myself to eat fish which I enjoy more than I think I am going to. And a lot more fresh veg, even if it's in soups or pasta sauces (no pasta, just chunky cut carrots that resemble pasta shapes for sauce or strips of spring greens tossed in garlic and butter, which come close enough to resembling tagliatelle)

I don't do a lot of business lunches - although if I did, then yeah, I would fall more easily off the wagon, much though I love steak and salad, you can only eat so many before you start dipping into the boss's bowl of fries.

The extra energy is great, my favourite thing - I hate feeling sluggish when I do break out and have pasta. The thought of losing that energy is a motivator to keep avoiding carby stuff.

I wouldn't normally have energy to do the dishes for 3 days, let alone clear all the 10p plastic bags that have fallen into the tiny gap behind the fridge. Laughing

I do enjoy not having to worry about eating low fat - the rich yoghurts almost make up for no ice-cream. Everyone else moans about low-fat this or that and there's Jen, scoffing mascarpone, full fat milk and butter.

And god I love cheese!

But it would be nice to have toast with the butter. My house became a toastless wasteland, I put the toaster at the back of the cupboard so I couldn't see it. I don't miss pizza but its difficult to resist foccacia Crying or Very sad

I don't mind the first-few-days thing - once I get past wanting biscuits/cake then its easy to get on board.

I try not to drop below 15-20 carbs/day but it is tempting to see how low you can get it. I resent the extra carbs built into ready-cooked food, in fact I hate the taste of most ready meals, they all taste the same, so I tend to cook most stuff from scratch and freeze some for when I feel lazy (which is rare once the energy thing kicks in).

Funny how since I haven't been doing keto I've gone back to having lazy "old woman" days where I can barely move if I lie on the sofa for more than an hour (although on those sort of days, it tends to be 3 or 4 hours) and I have to keep topped up with ibuprofen and paracetamol.

But it *is* very easy to fall off the wagon as I am a pastry monster and I love a pie/sausage roll/cheese and ham croissant or three Laughing

Still ... I've noticeably lost (probably) a stone recently, I was secretly pleased when I saw some friends over Easter and the girl said "crikey you've lost weight again!", which I had noticed (flatter belly/less thigh bulge) but I don't expect other people will notice.

Vanity is what keeps me going: I like fitting back into cool clothes Cool

Apols, went a bit Teffers there. Shocked

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Glucosamine - any good? Reply with quote

I tore my rotator cuff a few months ago and I still struggle sleeping.

Same.. some days I think it's getting better, so then endup putting it to work and worsening it (three steps forward two steps back kinda thing). I need to learn to rest it more I think.
Glucosamine no miracle cure sadly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Glucosamine - any good? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I tore my rotator cuff a few months ago and I still struggle sleeping.

Same.. some days I think it's getting better, so then endup putting it to work and worsening it (three steps forward two steps back kinda thing). I need to learn to rest it more I think.
Glucosamine no miracle cure sadly.

Strap it up to restrict mobility for a few weeks.
Restrict during the day.
Remove during the night.
Or wear during the night. For the lady's pleasure. Shifty

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 05 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Glucosamine - any good? Reply with quote

I tore my rotator cuff a few months ago and I still struggle sleeping and my pointer finger and middle finger still have lessened sensitivity due to the damage. If glucosamine works then I will start popping it like candy.

This is worth a watch for you I think..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9fiTFfW4uU&t=5s

..get well soon Wink

This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1