Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Starting problems with my CG-125 (2004) bike, unable to work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

R04CH_R1D3R
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:11 - 25 Apr 2024    Post subject: Starting problems with my CG-125 (2004) bike, unable to work Reply with quote

To start, this is my first created post/topic on this site, I have a basic understanding of bikes and cars and I rarely use technical terms in describing issues and diagnosing things so I may seem naïve or silly to some but I will do my best to explain Smile

Okay so now that's out of the way I can explain my predicament...

My father bought me a CG125 (2004) bike last month with just over 9000 miles on the clock. It was stored at a friends warehouse for a few nights until I finally got my license and the insurance, tax and MOT were all sorted out so I could officially ride it home. At the warehouse I did a little test ride around the car park and slowly became more confident riding it, there were no major issues to report but it did splutter and cough occasionally in first and second gear or at a complete stop and set in neutral. It also did cut-out completely a couple times but immediately restarted.

After leaving the warehouse/car park and following my father home, the bike for whatever reason just would not go in to the higher gears I was basically just stuck in first gear. After a couple of miles contemplating on what to do, the bike completely cuts out and dies on me, unable to restart and get it moving again. I broke down on a busy, slight inclined hill and having to push that b*tch up the hill damn near killed me lol.

My father and I spent some time looking the bike over at the roadside, we checked the fuel, looked at the spark plug, checking for any connection issues or power surges from the battery, choke positioning and the air filter but we couldn't find out why the bike died all of a sudden.

I am of the opinion that it could be a battery issue which can be easily fixed or something is just completely bwarked internally which would be the worst case scenario.

Ideally I would like to save myself £180 and not have to take it to a shop and to wait another month for it to be looked at. I can spend time looking at it myself and learn more about the bike than spending money unwisely.

If anyone can ease my heart ache that would be greatly appreciated. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:51 - 25 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say it won't go into the higher gears, do you mean when you select the gear it wont pull away in that gear or it physically won't select the gear? If it's the latter, what does the gear lever feel like? Is it solid or does it feel like it's moving to select the gear and not picking it up?

A quick sanity check because you're a new rider, have you been trying to ride it about with the choke on and flooded the engine and/or sooted up the sparkplug

Does the engine turn over with the electric start?

How did the end of the sparkplug look? Was it brown, white, black? Was it sooty or oily? Wet or dry? Is there a spark when you turn the engine over with the plug removed but connected and held against the engine casing?

Has it got petrol in it? Is it coming out of the tap if you disconnect the hose and turn the tap on?

A new sparkplug is never a wrong thing to do.

R04CH_R1D3R
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:02 - 27 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for commenting Stink.

So basically when the clutch is engaged or pressed in, I tried going up through the gears but nothing was happening and I now know why. The previous owner had modified the clutch and/or the gearing in such a way that it wouldn't switch in to gears on it's own and/or malfunction at low or high revs. She "forgot" to tell me this information beforehand and my dads mate who is a mechanic looked over the bike and too thought it was a tad strange that she modified it in such manner even though the bike only has around 9105 miles on the clock (maybe her riding style could of affected the bike somehow and she made the adjustments just in case?). But yeah the gearing and clutch seem to be working as it should do despite the modification done to it.

Regarding the choke and the fuel, I believe the first time I tried to ride it home I think the choke was in the half/halve position (between off and on) and the fuel was in the reserve position with a half filled tank. Prior to riding the bike home I just assumed things like this had been double-checked and it was ready to go and now after learning about chokes and fuel positioning this has been a valuable learning experience.

The engine refuses to turn over, the spark plug looked a little damp when examining it but the mechanic said it should last for a while.

Since my last comment I spent a few hours earlier today reading the users manual for the bike and doing my own inspection, there were a few screws/bolts that were quite loose which was a little concerning but it's all good now. My dad removed/disconnected the carburettor but he needs to properly look at it first.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:07 - 27 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This raises more questions than it answers...

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 27 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

the CG 125 is such simple bike and generally reliable so it sounds as if its been ( and currently) in the hands of folk who don't know how to maintain it.
fair enough, not everybody's tech inclined and you're a newbie.

My advice would be to get someone with the skills and experience to set it up properly so you can flit about on it while you learn to take care of
it yourself and wont be so mystified when it has any problem in the future.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:43 - 27 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

R04CH_R1D3R wrote:

The engine refuses to turn over, the spark plug looked a little damp when examining it but the mechanic said it should last for a while.

Let's get this dealt with first. My understanding of an engine "turning over" means that when you press the starter, the starter motor engages and the engine rotates (making the piston turn over top dead centre, hence the term). It doesn't necessarily start.

If it was not turning over, there would just be a click or no sound at all when you press the starter and the engine would not move.

Failure to turn over and turning over but failing to start have two very different (but still long) lists of possible causes.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first off on a cg125, must have been pre 1984. Going round a right hander and forgot how to turn the steering wheel. I do believe stinkwheel will get you sorted.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:24 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those cases where going to a mechanic, or at least someone that knows how to fix bikes, is worthwhile.

We all start somewhere, but you haven't learnt enough to even speak the language of fixing things yet. This is a learner bike, so it is highly likely that a number of other beginners have tried to fix or maintain over the years.

It is always worthwhile getting a 125 checked over by someone who knows what they are doing, because of the number of bodges and weirdness they tend to have.

Get the bike to a good starting position. Then it's much easier to diagnose faults when they appear the future - and they will. Bikes tend to have problems, and this bike is 20 years old. The design is more than 40 years old. It's built for very frequent yet basic fixing and servicing.

Also, buy the haynes manual. It tells you how the whole thing works.

R04CH_R1D3R
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:54 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate all the replies.

I would to remind some of you that I do have a basic understanding of how bikes work and an intermediate understanding of how cars work and how certain problems can arise down the road if left to fester and where to look first but actually fixing a broken bike is beyond my basic ability as I have not had the chance to physically tinker with a bike yet. Maybe I'm trying too hard to sound like I know shit but it comes across as naïve or a bit silly lol.

WD Forte - yeah the CG 125 is a fantastic little 125 bike and perfect for someone like myself as a beginner rider but the previous owner failed to disclose or mention what changes she had made prior to handing over the bike, the silly woman. I am a little disheartened and pissed off honestly, I love to ride bikes and I'm very eager to get back on the road but I have to deal with this BS first.

stinkwheel - yeah sorry I should of explained it a bit better than I did. By turning over I mean when pressing the electric starter above the throttle the bike/engine starts allowing me to rev the bike or how you said "engine "turning over" means that when you press the starter, the starter motor engages and the engine rotates". The bike just doesn't turn over or even start and nothing we have tried so far seems to work. Taking the carb out yesterday there were 0 issues with it, it looked fairly new so that's a potential error ticked off the list.

Robby - you could be right there mate, and what other changes could of been made to the bike is yet to be discovered. It's my dad's fault for jumping head first in to buying it without actually taking it in to a shop for a once over.

I think my grandad might have a Haynes manual somewhere, I'll definitely try and find one.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its dad's fault now eh?

Bloody dads eh? giving you a free motorbike, how dare he!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:06 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it idn't turning over have you tried bypasssing the solenoid?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:27 - 28 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not sure we're clear on the whole engine turning over thing. If it's turning over, when you press the starter the engine will go "RRrrrRRRrrrrRRRRRrrrrRRRRrrr". If it isn't, there will be no noise or an electronic clicking noise.

If it isn't turning over, it's not a problem with your carburettor.

R04CH_R1D3R
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:52 - 29 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte - yes it is dad's fault. For spending my hard-earned money on a broken and/or modified bike (which he knew about before I did but never told me that he knew about it) when he should of bought a bike that we both looked at that was brand spanking new and coloured in blue. If the bike was free or he paid for it I wouldn't of been as pissed off about it but it's the fact that he jumped at the first chance for a bike that was below the average cost and as far as I know he NEVER looked the bike over once for faults and/or any alterations. That's £870 of my money down the f*cking drain mate.

Nobby the Bastard - Bypassing the solenoid? How does a newbie one do that?

Stinkwheel - I think you are looking in to this far too seriously/clinically mate, I already told you that when I press the electric starter the bike was turning over or the engine goes "RRrrrrRRRrrrrRRRrrrrRRRR" but now there is no engine starting or engine turning over.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:13 - 29 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

R04CH_R1D3R wrote:

Nobby the Bastard - Bypassing the solenoid? How does a newbie one do that?

Okay.

This is going to be entertaining iif you chose the wrong two wires to connect together....

Do you even know what the solenoid is and where it's located on your bike?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 29 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

R04CH_R1D3R wrote:
The previous owner had modified the clutch and/or the gearing in such a way that it wouldn't switch in to gears on it's own and/or malfunction at low or high revs.

I'm still trying to work out what this bit means. You do know that this is a manual bike and won't 'switch gears on its own' ?

I'm totally confused about what the issue is. And I still don't know if it turns over.

OP, could you recap the situation?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 01 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
R04CH_R1D3R wrote:
The previous owner had modified the clutch and/or the gearing in such a way that it wouldn't switch in to gears on it's own and/or malfunction at low or high revs.

I'm still trying to work out what this bit means. You do know that this is a manual bike and won't 'switch gears on its own' ?

I'm totally confused about what the issue is. And I still don't know if it turns over.

OP, could you recap the situation?

I'm still wondering if he's been to work yet or is still 'unable'..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

R04CH_R1D3R
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:28 - 01 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans - Please read the entire thread again and try to understand it properly, it'll save me having to live through the torment again! I haven't got enough hours in the day to recap the entire situation mate.

Listen pal Very Happy , I'm not that mentally handicapped (yet) and of course I know the CG 125 is a manual bike, I have been riding bikes for years on my grandads private land and my dads lot so I've learnt the difference. I'll explain to you in the simplest and direct way I can over text on a screen; basically the previous owner made adjustments or alterations to the gearing on the bike, I'm going to assume it's because at the time when she made them, her riding ability was pretty bad along with her gear shifting. I also think that because of this, repair work must of been done as a safety net for any future calamities, who tf knows?

A100man - Funny man, I work 6 days a week, got a child to look after and I'm getting married next year. Easy for you to sit behind a screen and talk absolute hog wash, init? I'm still wondering if you have a life or you just live in cave somewhere or you were just born with half a brain...

- If you were sarcastically referring to working on the bike we haven't had much chance to properly look at it and I was hoping by making this thread it would of been helpful but it has been anything but that.

Nobby the Bastard - not a clue mate lol.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:33 - 01 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

R04CH_R1D3R wrote:

Listen pal Very Happy , I'm not that mentally handicapped (yet) and of course I know the CG 125 is a manual bike, I have been riding bikes for years on my grandads private land and my dads lot so I've learnt the difference. I'll explain to you in the simplest and direct way I can over text on a screen; basically the previous owner made adjustments or alterations to the gearing on the bike, I'm going to assume it's because at the time when she made them, her riding ability was pretty bad along with her gear shifting. I also think that because of this, repair work must of been done as a safety net for any future calamities, who tf knows?

It still doesnt make sense, 'mate', because its neither easy or useful to do something like that.

Is the gear lever slipping on the shaft, just locked solid or moving the shaft but not changing gear?

Actually, wondering if you have a siezed engine...

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding on reserve is sometimes a no-no. The tap on reserve is picking up any and all shite in the bottom of the tank. I wouldn't even use reserve in an emergency because it just makes one problem (No fuel) into several problems (Shite in the carb jets requiring a rebuild - clogged jets can mean you've only got enough juice to run in first gear if at all). Only use reserve on any bike if the tank is clean (Red Rust dust can get through filters).

The choke being half on might blaargh the engine once it's warmed up. That'd put you on the side of the road.

As for not starting or "turning over"... have you tried turning it off and on? No seriously, I'm not taking the piss. Turn it off and on a few times and try the starter each time. I've got a bike (or two) that plays around like this (Could be a bad earth from the handlebar switch to the relay? Is the bike corroded or flash rusted - Especially salty sea air will corrode wires, connectors, switches and earths). Are there any dash lights, neutral light? Horn? Indicators, etc. Is it electrically dead? (Charging the battery may help with bad earths to break through any resistance being met in the circuit)

I'm also wondering if the starter motor stayed engaged and caused the bike to "drag" and maybe even exploded shrapnel into the engine (Not from the starter motor itself of course but the starter-clutch might have exploded if the motor / starter-clutch didn't disengage - chunks of it now jamming the gearbox? - May also have blown a fuse if something like this happened which would also stop the starter from starting the bike... because... it would. Check the fuse on the starter relay (Probably next to the battery?) but if it's blown there might be a good reason it blew needing investigation before trying to start the bike again)

So...

The bike's not running but you can still test the clutch and box AND YOU SHOULD DO THIS BEFORE TRYING TO START IT AGAIN. Walk with it in neutral. Clutch in and out. Put it in first gear, clutch in and out. Put it in second, third. Clutch in and out while walking. What does it do? You can also put the bike on the centre stand (Perhaps with a plank of wood under it to lift it off the ground if required) and spin the wheel by hand while using the box and clutch. See if it's doing what it should be doing. Listen carefully for any sounds...and grinding / grunking / clunking and if you can hear something like this then definately don't start the engine till you've drained the oil, opened it and looked inside.

These are just guesses... it's also possible the previous owner fell off the bike, hit the gear lever on the floor and bust a gearbox component that way. It might be a simple fix. The "not starting" might be another problem entirelly and unrelated.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 02 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

R04CH_R1D3R wrote:

A100man - Funny man, I work 6 days a week, got a child to look after and I'm getting married next year. Easy for you to sit behind a screen and talk absolute hog wash, init? I'm still wondering if you have a life or you just live in cave somewhere or you were just born with half a brain...

Thanks - I pride myself on my humour and I as it happens I do also admire the troglodyte lifestyle so bang on there! Brain capacity as yet unresearched.

That all said I think the chaps and I remain mystified as to the nature of your problem. Is the gearing issue (apparently the work of a previous lady owner) related to the sudden cut out and how? You rode it around a warehouse with 'no major issues' but then kaput. too many unanswered questions.

Perhaps let us know where you are - I for one will get from behind my screen and take a look.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

£870? no wonder A100man's larfin at you
He's been known to squander more than that on drugs and prostitutes
on weekend breaks in Amsterdam.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so intrigued as to how the shifting has been modified, it seems neither practical nor justifiable.

I'd be lying if I said it was keeping me up at night wondering about it, therefore:

It's keeping me up at night wondering about it.........

In seriousness, I'd be willing to travel at least 3.7 miles to find out in person.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

R04CH_R1D3R wrote:
Evil Hans - Please read the entire thread again and try to understand it properly, it'll save me having to live through the torment again! I haven't got enough hours in the day to recap the entire situation mate.

Would you believe I already did. Twice. And I can still barely understand what you're talking about

Turning over:
1) Does the engine spin when you turn the key
2) Or does the engine sound like it's trying to fire when you turn the key
3) Or does it start and then cut out.

Gears:
R04CH_R1D3R wrote:

You need to explain this because NOBODY HERE understands what you are talking about. What has been done to the gearbox?

"It's been modified so it won't change gears on its own"

- it's not meant to, you need to use the clutch and gear lever

"and/or malfunction at high or low revs"

- it's been modified not to malfunction? You're suggesting that normally it should malfunction? And now doesn't? Sorry, it's gibberish.

As asked above, where are you?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

profile says

Interests: Anything on 2 wheels, Football, Beer and Pornography

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 03 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
profile says

Interests: Anything on 2 wheels, Football, Beer and Pornography

Could be a problem.. not much motorbike knowledge on IoM.. still if our friend is still having problems come June I'll pop in. Thumbs Up

This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1