Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long Way Round

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:49)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 11 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:

Ive read on some forums that the older gs is a better bike for the job because there is less to go wrong on it and its leasyer to fix (whats the point in abs when your mechanics tools are a hammer and a big stick?)

I think their bikes have servo brakes (not 100% sure), all the latest ones do, and if anything goes wrong on the ABS the brakes can just fail. Same when you come to start them before the engine is running you dont have brakes Shocked .

I have the 2001 model it has ABS but no servo, If the ABS was to fail you would still have the full brakes ( thank god!).

As for choosing which bike to go on, they need something with a good range and the GS Adventure has a 30l tank good for 300+ miles and shaft drive, Zero maintanence. The KTM would be better on the Mongolian roads as it is more off road orientated, but the comfort isn't there (seat like a razor blade) for hours on hours in the saddle.

The GS isn't a off road bike, in fact its scary on anything other than a mild dirt track, so maximum respect to all three of them for doing what they did.

Have a look HERE this guy traveled all around America with NO backup. It makes good reading and some awsome pictures too.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 12 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself i'd love a gs, theyd do everything i'd ever want to do and a fair old bit more, only thing i dont like about bmws is the serviceing costs and the increaceing complication of them, but then i think that about most bikes anyway....

Shaft drive is something that would be a nightmare without (its makeing my next bike decision difficult to say the least! shafties rock, i wish they were an option on all production bikes!), i wouldn't say the ktm was a serious traveling (in the propper sense) bike, i was watching it thinking they are wrong choice, too much to be smashed off them...

Tank range is something i'd forgoten, 250 miles is a minimum i'd guess, many common "propper" adventure touring bikes have add on tanks available which push them to 350/400 miles+ (bloody should do though at £700 odd) i'd still want a great big jerry can on each bike too though!

I think they did a great job, they certainly didn't make it easy for themselfs! if it were me in mongolia id have given all the heavy gear to the support team and pick it back up when there was road again!

They certainly have taken a battering and saying there was (well up to now) one cracked frame incident (hardly the bikes fault) and the abs problem they have not done bad at all!!

Sigh, how i'd love to be in the middle of nowhere now with a bike, a couple of good mates and a full tank of petrol.... Sad

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 12 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:

Sigh, how i'd love to be in the middle of nowhere now with a bike, a couple of good mates and a full tank of petrol.... Sad

..........and a GPS! Wink

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 12 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
..........and a GPS! Wink

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/bike/gps.jpg

Razz (a map might be nice too tho, not that they do much use when there are no roads anyway Shocked )

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 17 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
Have a look HERE this guy traveled all around America with NO backup. It makes good reading and some awsome pictures too.

Thanks so, so much for that link, I've been addicted to it for a couple of days now. Very Happy

The more I read stuff like that and LWR the more I'm tempted to just use the next year or two to try and save cash and just sod off and see how long it can last for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

buddha
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:27 - 18 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006B3UE6/qid%3D1100805981/202-7032328-9130212

the dvd to ther series.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 19 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOoooooooooooo!

Number five is out Thumbs Up

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the last one! Thumbs Up

edit:actually maybe not the last?? are there 7 episodes?

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:37 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:

That is a fantastic trip report, what a great journey he made and what a nice bunch of guys who helped him out on the way. Took me ages to get to the end of it, great pictures...

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:59 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:
are there 7 episodes?

Yes, cos they've still to get to New York.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:07 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only Canada and America left I imagine not much interesting will happen, unless they visit the worlds biggest ball of twine.... the man with the beard of bees etc. Very Happy

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:20 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch the hi-lights at the beginning of the very first episode, they have to ride round a massive forest fire and some bloke drives into the back of one of them on the highway.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
...some bloke drives into the back of one of them on the highway.

Says it all really, through some of the most desolate and dangerous areas in the world, through eastern russia, metting the mafia on several occasions, wind rain snow bears... and the some tw*t not looking where he is going smashes into them Rolling Eyes

I started wondering when it got to five minutes left Razz

They certainly are bikers in every sense of the word though, no matter how much money or equipment you have pushing what must be nearly 300kgs worth of bike out of 2ºc waist high water is frickin hard going! I know others have done it before, alone but if i had the option of a support team i don't think i'd tell them not to bother and stay home...

Also claudio has done well, a bit mad (ditch? big rock? madness) seeing as he obviously is the least experianced, didn't do any complaining just got on with it Thumbs Up

Looking forward to the next .

Last edited by mr.z on 16:35 - 26 Nov 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, the end of an adventure and a rather amazing one at that. Surprised

Couldnt believe how young the kid was who crashed into the back of Ewan, typical! Just seeing how the entire landscape and culture had changed from that of middle eastern and russian countries was bizarre. Really was a trip to remember, and I'm sure its inspired others to do similar trips.

Personally, I cant wait to get a bigger bike next year and begin travelling on that. I've wanted to travel for a good while but didnt realise it would be so rewarding!

Cant wait to get my hands on the DVD now, thats ordered on Amazon. Cool

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whens episode 7 up on torrent *humph*.......

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
Couldnt believe how young the kid was who crashed into the back of Ewan, typical!

That really was the low point of the whole trip for me, until then people couldn't have been more welcoming and friendly towards the guys. SMIDSY as well! Confused Still, amazing program, amazing trip. Which it wasn't all condensed into 7 episodes, surely it could've been.. ooh, at least 30.

Apparently the guys are going to be doing some signings and possibly a presentation of some kind in various beamer bike dealers. I'm trying to sort out tickets for the one in Alton which is I think the 17th-ish of next month. Bit of a mystery atm, hopefully the bastards will actually answer their phone tomorrow (Ignored it Saturday, closed Sun and Mon Rolling Eyes).

You thinking of doing some trips abroad next year then, Keith?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I'll see them doing signings at any of the dealerships round here, they're all tiny showrooms! Laughing

And yeah, I do plan to travel, only in Europe though. I have friends in Belgium, so plan to ride over there in summer. (Not 18 until April) Will probably travel around for about 2 weeks with my mate then head off home. Reckon a CB500 will handle European adventures? Razz

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the OCC guys feature on anything other than Discovery, but was such a shame that it was the last in the series. Was very interesting and gonna miss it. Still, it was a happy ending in the end.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
I doubt I'll see them doing signings at any of the dealerships round here, they're all tiny showrooms! Laughing

And yeah, I do plan to travel, only in Europe though. I have friends in Belgium, so plan to ride over there in summer. (Not 18 until April) Will probably travel around for about 2 weeks with my mate then head off home. Reckon a CB500 will handle European adventures? Razz

Sounds like a lot of fun. Man I wish I had friends/relatives in Europe... none of mine are any further afield than Wales. Confused CB500 should eat the miles up. Wink

Was good to see the OCC guys, they seemed to be really quiet compared to normal.

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:27 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end of a good series and lots of positive messages about why we all ride bikes. I thought the best bit was them saying the main reason to do it was to ride their bikes every day. I also liked the ride into New York, shame there weren't some better bikes in the convoy.

Not sure about the OCC guys, not my scene at all. I know it's about looking 'cool' but I didn't like them riding without a lid.

Let's hope it gets onto some terrestrial station so everyone can enjoy it.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to get through to this BMW garage and book a couple of tickets, it sounds like it should be good. Basically Charley and one of the presenters ('Possibly Ewan but he's probably far too busy') are going to do a talk and then they'll sign books/dvds/whatever. £10 a ticket and all of the money's going to charity, I guess Unicef. Think there's going to be four of these at various BMW bike garages so if you fancy going to one it's worth giving whichever one's nearest to you a call as from what I can tell they're not being publicised too much.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www2.digitaldistractions.org:8080/torrents/Long%20Way%20Round%20-%20Episode%2007.torrent

Propperly the last one now Wink [/url]

Gingernut
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:44 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Propperly the last one now

Right, I'm getting the book... that was awsome. Would love to do that one day, seriously consider going round Europe Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:45 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect my girlfriend has got it me for christmas (might make it more bearable eh Razz )

It will be interesting to see how many people it inspires to pack their tent and speed off tot he middle of nowhere, its been top of the dream list for quite some time... one day though....

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:12 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the book before seeing any of the series (genius here didn't realise Sky Travel was on Freeview) and really enjoyed it, but now I've seen the shows I'm gonna read it again as I think it'll be better when you can really picture what was going on. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5