Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long Way Round

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:49)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:45 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone planning on doing something like this, as a young studenty type (bum/layabout) I plan to go round some of Europe next summer (just backpacking) then maybe further afield later. Later in life (whenever I can get enough cash together) i'm off to ride around the world (over a year+ though Laughing ).

Just curious if anyone has/is going to do this?

malb
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started reading the book, I'm only on the second chapter though, but it looks like it is going to be good! Very Happy Thumbs Up

awj72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:28 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
Couldnt believe how young the kid was who crashed into the back of Ewan

Imagine his face though when ewan took off his lid though. "christ, I just nearly killed Obi wan kenobi!!!" Sick How shit would HE have felt? (not saying he didn't anyway, before anyone starts) but thank the force he was ok.

Great series, did anyone else think the last episode was a bit rushed, canada & usa in just over 45 minutes? more on the dvd I hope.

Thumbs Up Smile Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

awj72 wrote:
Imagine his face though when ewan took off his lid though. "christ, I just nearly killed Obi wan kenobi!!!" Sick How shit would HE have felt?

Laughing I said the exact same thing while I was watching it!

The last episode was pretty rushed mind. Could of at least made it a longer episode seeing as it was their last.

I've ordered the dvd off amazon, as you said, hopefully it'll have more on there. The running time is something like 6 hours, so I doubt there will be much added to the actual travels, only what was seen on TV. Should have plenty of bonus content though. Smile

awj72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:13 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else who's read the book thinkthe same thing about it as the end of the series? I'm over 2/3 of the way through it & they've just gotten into russia!!! Confused

At this rate, canada & usa are going to be just as rushed as the last episode. Sad

Still a really good read all the same though. Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch the whole DVD. Pretty good I though, and was a cool experience, all the cultures Cool, countries Cool, people Cool and all on bikes... Cool.

It was really funny hearing Ewan McGregor and Charile Boorman talking to me. My real name is Claudio. Laughing

Still, "Claudio" was quite like me: making a pratt out of myself, and crashing bikes. Laughing . He was a cool guy in the end though.

5/5

Though I couldn't help feeling they were cheating bit, because of all the equipment and safety apparatus (money) they had. Rolling Eyes

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:20 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubts, they *could* have made it tougher for themselves, but looking at the roads in Mongolia and the Road of Bones I don't think they can be accused of 'cheating'. And face it, if you're making a documentary about it, you need support cos there's cameras and tapes to be lugged about.

There's always someone going to do a journey some way that's harder/braver/more 'extreme' than you did it - I don't think that devalues your achievement any. And why make an experience harder than it needs to be?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:55 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some ways they made it harder for them selves by accepting the BMWs. While they are about right for a massive cross-continent journey that involves 'real' roads as well as non-roads... A smaller 'proper' enduro bike would have seen the lacking-in-road segments much more easily traversed.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www2.digitaldistractions.org:8080/torrents/Long%20Way%20Round.torrent

All of em there in case anyone hasn't got them yet Wink (maybe its got the bonus bits?? hope so...)

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:

Though I couldn't help feeling they were cheating bit

Sorry, should have been:

"cheating a bit". I didn't mean they were cheating, only slighty.

Still was good from them, and I bet it was fun etc etc etc.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:37 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought WTF when I saw their choice of bike. However you got to admit, those BMW adventures took a beating of galactic proportions and yet they still kept working.

NEVER in my life have I seen a water flooded cylinder being pumped out using the starter motor then WORK afterwards. Thumbs Up

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stryker wrote:
NEVER in my life have I seen a water flooded cylinder being pumped out using the starter motor then WORK afterwards. Thumbs Up

Amazeing really cause surely it should have got in the gear box as well??? and as such must still have been in the engine?? :o i would have though it would have locked the engine, bending various parts in the process and leaveing a big pile of knackered?

Draging the thread back to life somewhat but...

RE- terra circa/mondo enduro, theres a lengthly interview with austin vince, interesting reading

Quote:
...the bikes were hopelessly over-loaded, i'd packed a fire extinguisher, lump hammer and an entire set of party clothes, but amazeingly no puncture repair kit...
Shocked blimeh...[/quote]

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot say this makes you want to do something like them???

I'm going abroad, plan is book portsmouth-bilbao for 2nd april and see where the journey takes me. Deffo pyrenees and venture into italy germany and what not. I'll see where the wind takes me, jus feel like going somewhere abroad and not on a plane or sitting by a warm beach for 2 long dull weeks.

Who wants to come ???? Wink :p Get a bcf european tour Wink

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to ride to Belgium in the summer to see a friend in the first place, but I'd like to make more of an adventure out of it. I'd really like to see the Nurburgring so who knows, we might get to travel around. Nothing planned yet though. All I know is I'm riding to Belgium in around August time. Not a huge adventure but I dont want to go too far first time leaving the country on a bike and on my own. Will still be fun considering I've not done more than a 90 mile round trip, I dont trust my RS125 enough to travel much further! Laughing

It would be amazing to do a transcontinental ride though, Long Way Round was just inspiring that if you put your mind to it, you can do anything. Cool

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds damn good instigator. Very Happy Thumbs Up

I've been thinking actually, what I might do when I finish college is work for a couple of months at a supermarket/wherever and do as many hours as possible to save up some cash. Then off to Europe, maybe for a few months, however long I can afford really. The great thing is it all sounds doable. Shocked Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will definetely be going abroad at the stated period, 30th march onwards, so anyone else going over would be great Very Happy Actually looking for some others who are going over around that time so I won't be completely alone for 100% of the time.

It's going to cost me £140 for a ferry trip, single fare, from portsmouth to bilbao and from there, it'll just be petrol, food and tenting costs. (bar the 2nd ferry crossing at calais Wink)

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, I won't be able to go anywhere 'til I've done my exams in June and earnt some money to pay for it. Confused

How long are you planning to go for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about 7 to 12 days. Won't have a day's rest basically Wink

I'm doing it on a budget but will be taking a credit card with me just incase. If I had longer off, I'd go further. My exams start on april 20th. So time is limited Very Happy Shocked

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, beats revision! Laughing

I've got absolutely fuck all on the cards after college so I could go for as long as I can afford. Talk about jumping in at the deep end. Shocked

I really should get rid of the 125 and pass my test as preperation, methinks. Laughing

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me thinks that too! lol, would love to know how far the rs125 would get in a trip from yours to the 'ring'. Very Happy

Lemmie know your plans anyway closer to the time. You never know, if I really enjoy my first time, I may be into the thought of going twice in one year Wink

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might manage it but would probably need a rebuild every couple of weeks if it was serious touring. Shocked

If I do decide to do it, then I'd probably be leaving around August since that'd give me 2 months after college to work all the hours in the day and get a decent amount to travel on. Would mean missing quite a bit of the summer though. Thinking Haven't done any maths though. Will all depend on how long I plan to go for and how much I earn before I leave college.

I take it you're in the middle of uni and not finishing in the summer?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, I do finish in the summer, well, I've got 4 months off until I start my final eyar. Pity though, as I've got an industrial placement this summer, same as last year but its easy enough to just get holidays when I want them. Unofficial holidays are encouraged where I work!! lol

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unofficial holidays encouraged.... Shocked Where can I sign up!?

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 31 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im interested in the series but was put off by the first episode. All I could see was a couple of primadoners begging for a free bike. When KTM said fuck off mr Mcgregor, go and buy a bike with your vast personal fortune some fanny took off across the office and ripped down a KTM poster like a child. Apart from that kind of stuff it looks ok, so Im getting the box set off play.

Still pisses me off though that a man who probably demands a couple of million quid to do a film reduces himself to trying to get a free bike, when poor people like you and me have to do it the old fashioned way and pay for it. Rolling Eyes

Wink

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 01 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna sound like a total fanboy here but fuck it. Laughing

If you're a famous movie star going around the world and having a book and documentary made which will be shown on a cable TV then the bikes you ride will get a lot of good publicity if they work well. A couple of bikes is nothing compared to the advertising they get as a result. It couldn't hurt for them to ask and luckily BMW were willing to help 'em out.

The reason they were so pissed about KTM was that they basically implied they couldn't have the bikes since they thought they'd fail. If I'd spent months planning a trip down to the finest detail and someone said 'Pfft, no chance of doing that mate, you're bound to fail' I reckon I'd be pissed with them.

I do still think maybe they should've done it like mere normal humans and packed up 2 bikes and fucked off though. Mind you if someone offered me a full on support crew and I was going through Mongolia I might not be so quick to turn it down. Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5