Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Snetterton PACE day report

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 00:37 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Snetterton PACE day report Reply with quote

This was a trackday with a difference, the first of the European Superbike School's PACE days with a promise of more track time and the added bonus of getting laptimes.

Up to Snett in the van in stinky weather with G at the helm, Swaffs and Jay show up later and Korn and Jon later still (so late that I was asleep by then). Cold uncomfortable night, but the briefing's at an ungodly 7:30am so needs must...

Weather's looking a bit grim and the track's damp and cold. I'm treating this day entirely as a 'get my confidence back' after stacking it at Silverstone on Tuesday, so I'm psyching myself up when in trawls the recovery van and deposits G, a broken R6 and a sizeable chunk of Norfolk turf into the garage. Well this just fills me with confidence this does. Neutral

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton2/normal_PICT0001.JPG

Anyway, no time for all that cos the novice group are out. Swaffs is behind the instructor and I'm behind Swaffs as we troll round for two or three nice slow laps. Green flag and Swaffs is a fair bit ahead of me cos I'm a tad uncomfortable. Yellow flag... um, there's only one person ahead of me.... Get to the end of the straight and see a blue and red CBR on it's side and Swaffs looking a bit pissed off. Mmm, final confidence whack for that session then.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton2/normal_PICT0007.JPG

Second session, feeling a bit better and getting a bit better, bit faster. Third session and there's a noticable dry line appearing, so I'm starting to have fun and get back to normality.

Now, this is a PACE day so what happens is your times are taken from your transponder and everyone lines up in a mock grid, so you're sent out with people who are just a little faster than you in front of you. Over lunchtime there's been some jiggling and when the new grids are posted the novice group is down to 5. Three of us (me, Swaffs and Jay) are being wusses cos we crashed - dunno what the other two's excuses are. Anyway, I'm not happy and set out on a mission to overtake the two bikes ahead of me... a good fight with a ZX6R ensues and he's dispatched twice in the same place, second time it sticks. Then I set my sights on the girl on the CBR4 who was in slot one, catch her up on the straight, up her arse round the lap and finish her off round my favourite corner. This is fun. Very Happy

The decision's then take to put everyone out in two groups instead of three, so we all get more tracktime. So I'm now 21st on the re-revised intermediate grid, CBR6 in front of me, CBR6 behind me. 'Tazzie' from Visordown is in 17th place and is my target for this session. Smile I had a great time the last time I was at Snett, but I think this session was my best ever - maybe not my fastest, but I was on form and overtaking well, got past quite a few people and just felt quick. Cool Oh, and I upheld the BCF vs. VD honours.

Barely in and we're out again, 20 mins off not really being 20 mins by the time you've faffed about lining up. About three laps in I start feeling really tired and realise I've not really eaten much all day. Give up chasing the blokes in front and settle back to work on my corners. Coming round Sears I unexpectedly get my knee down, and I wasn't even trying. Seems that the higher R6 peg (that is still bodged on from 'Stone) is the cure to my peg-instead-of-knee scraping antics that were pretty constant the last time I was here. Do it again each lap after that - bonus. Thumbs Up

Last session (we thought) and I'm really starting to ache. I'm not sure if I slowed down or everyone else sped up, will be interesting to see the laptimes tomorrow. A few gear changing issues (yes Doris you'll get an oil change asap) ruin a potential fight with Swaffs and it doesn't sound pretty banging into third when you were really aiming for 6th. Confused Almost follow Swaffs onto the grass (target fixation!) when he decides to do a little offroading, have a bit of a barney with a newer CBR who then wusses out and blatently lets me by... boring! In. Relief. Tired. Sore.

A final session is called which we weren't expecting but I'm really just too pooped to bother so I sit the final one out.

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton2/normal_PICT0271.JPG

So, to summarise.

Really good day. Confidence (in the dry anyway) is pretty much back where it was before my off, which is good cos I reckon that's it trackday-wise for this year and I wouldn't want to spend the winter stewing on a bad day. G and Swaffs were both unscathed from their little offs - added bonus. Smile

The PACE thing has definitely got potential. They had loads more marshalls than a normal day, so anyone binning it was just picked up under yellow flags (unless it was serious) so you did actually seem to get more time on track. Laptime-based 'grid' was interesting, maybe needs a little development but the principle is certainly sound. Apparently tomorrow we can log on to the ESS site and register to be sent all our transponder data so that'll make for interesting reading. This was the first PACE day ever so we'll just have to wait and see how they develop the idea.

My pics can be found at https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38 - sorry I haven't edited them with my usual care but I'm a bit pooped. Smile

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's my report:

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/roybooth/willfly/Images/snett_circuit.gif

Had a mad Fri evening getting from work to Bendy's to home and then up to snetterton. all in all about 8 hours travelling (and I'm only 140 miles from the track!).Arrived at Snetterton at 00:30 with Jay. A reasonably uncomfortable sleep in the back seat of a Golf allowed for a little sleep before a 6:30 rise.
Thanks for the loan of Car / trailer Bendy.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
I was pretty nervous at this point already. First trackday and it's wet !!. Jon was sharing my aprehension. after getting bikes / tools etc. into garages, we went for the brief at 07:30. This seemed a very well organised group, lots of marshals. Reluctant to red flag the track just because someone had come off. also quite strict i.e if you turn up late, you don't get in/ on the track etc. (Fortunately for G they didn't apply that each session) Wink

We fitted our transponders to the bikes, and G (just) made it out in time for the first session (fast group). Some one mentioned that they hadn't seen G go by, but I was really preoccupied with fear.
I did notice that G hadn't stuck his number on;
https://www.swaffs.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton/normal_IMG_0348%20%28Small%29.JPG
This made it interesting when he did indeed crash after a screaming first session starting 1/2 a lap behind and then catching and passing at least 1/2 of the pack. A low side followed by lots of grass/mud followed.

Once the inter's group left (Korn), G returned with this;

https://www.swaffs.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0351%20%28Small%29.JPG

So now I'm really up for it ! Sad , our G had crashed.

I heard that another person had crashed in inter's and a quick look spotted Korn go by. phew..

Next was us, I had been advised by everyone to get up close to the instructor who would do 2 laps for us to follow without overtaking before letting us out. turns out I was directly behind him, so I got a good look at the line. once the instructor peeled off, I opened it up and then on approaching the first corner, Riches, braked....braked.....braked.. slid...panicked. probably broke a bit more... and off Embarassed

A bit of rolling and sliding all pretty much hapened and it was a second or two before I comprehended what had actually gone on.
I got up and moved to the side whilst the marshals pushed my bike to the sidings. I was a bit shaken and shocked. A quick look over myt bike and it looked fine, wouldn't need much to get it back out again. thank heavens for R&G !

A lift back to the pits and an incident trying to move the bike off the truck (that painful rib hadn't shown until I tried to push the bike !)
https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton2/normal_PICT0005.JPG
A little tinkering with new lever (Thanks Bendy) and some bending back and I was ready to go again.
https://www.swaffs.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton/normal_IMG_0396%20%28Small%29.JPG
last session before lunch I was back out, very carefully...
I was on the back row obviously and that meant I could trundle around at my own pace.

After lunch however things got much better, I had a word with an instructor who let me follow him for 1/2 a session and then followed me. Advised me my line was good and just to stick to that, getting a little faster, leaning a bit more etc. on each lap.

Another 2 sessions later and things were working out, it was now nice and dry. And the SUN was out.
I had sussed my gear changes and breaking points. I was starting to shift now and actually started overtaking people. Never caught Bendy on that sessiion, but had my eye on her for the next one.

The final session (they had taken transponders of by this time) I was really going, I felt as if I was smoother and faster, outbreaking most bikes in front of me. I passed bendy and about 3 others, before going offroad on that fatefull Riches corner, this time I was a little more prepared and just run onto the grass and let all 3 bikes through, before rejoining. (I had them passed again within 2 laps Twisted Evil )
https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton2/normal_PICT0202.JPG

All in all a fantastic day, shame about the first session/off. But I recovered and learnt absolultely loads about the bike and myself.

I like the system of PACE sessions so you are pretty much in a position where the guy in fron of you is a little faster than you ang the guy behind is a little slower so your less likely to have too much overtaking and everyone should spread out throughout the session.

Bring on the laptimes, so I can see how much i improved throughout the afternoon

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks to G and Mike (and anyone else that took any) for the piccies.

My pictures here:
https://www.swaffs.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=18

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton2/normal_PICT0335.JPG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was due to head up with Jon but our departure was delayed by somebody spinning their car on the M4 as I went to pick up the trailer from Bendy's. After battling though that bit of traffic I got to Slough, hitched up and headed for home - only to get stuck in another tailback as yet another prat had attempted the land speed record on the almost flooded M4 and caused a pile up. After some faffing about with loading bikes we left an hour late and headed up the north circular, but only got as far as brent cross before the trouble started. Seems every bridge, tunnel, flyover and junction had been closed either due to flooding or some cager causing a smash. We crawled for hours through the traffic and finally reached the M11 at just before 1am. Where we hit roadworks, grrrrrrrr! We eventually rolled up to Snetterton at around half past two in the morning, pulled in to park begind the G wagon and promtly fell asleep. Not a good journey Thumbs Down

https://www.kornel.com/pics/Snetterton2/t2.jpg

Morning saw the BCF posse nab a pit garage and proceed to unpack the ever-growing stack of supplies. The briefing was held very early but went into a lot of detail, and explained the dummy grid system we were going to be using for the rest of the day. We were given race numbers to stick to our bikes and collected transponders from the timing chappie and after watching a brief row between the Snetterton and Beemsee marshalls over who was going to get the radios we retired back to our garage to await the first session. I had brought no road tyres so would have to buy some, so I left wets on the bike and headed off with the spare set of wheels in the direction of the tyre van. From looking at the home straight the track looked damp but drying, so G decided to swap wets for supercorsas for the first session. I didn't fancy the thought of scrubbing in brand new tyres on a damp track so decided to stick with wets. Slapped the tyre warmers on the bike and went outside to watch G's session. Almost as soon as I got up to the pit wall I saw a dark blue bike lose it under braking for the chicane and slide off onto the grass. I though "hmm, that looks a bit like G" and a few minutes later having not seen the G meister come past I realised that it actually was.

Inters was called up next so I got my kit on and headed off. As soon as we got round the first corner puddles appeared and I realised the the home straight was in fact probably the driest part of the track. I had a great time in the first session but hampered by my dark visor again (this time I'd actually brought a clear visor with me, only to realise it was from the wrong helmet Doh!) so plenty of moments where I had to slow down and ease the visor open to see where on earth I was supposed to be going. After the first session we got our grid positions, I ended up 2nd in Inters and while lining up for the second session noticed Susie the Bikegirl next to me. We went out for the session and again the track hadn't dried much so wets were still the tyre of choice. A few ohshit moments courtesy of visor slamming shut at the end of the straights and instantly filling up with steam but otherwise a good session.

https://www.kornel.com/pics/Snetterton2/t1.jpg

After a bit of bodgery with gaffa tape and cable ties, I had the visor issue fixed and had a right good laugh in the last two sessions before lunch, even lapping some people twice in one session. Definitely a fun morning! At lunchtime I swapped wets for the new supercorsas and went to read the revised grid order. ESS were running a dummy grid for each session, with the order being decided on by your laptimes from the transponders and timing equipment. Seems I had got a bit of speed on in the last wet session as I found myself booted into the fast group and on the front row of the grid. 4th fastest in the wet, rock on! Cool

The first session after lunch was interesting to say the least, I did my best to scrub the tyres in during the two warm up laps so I wouldn't get annihilated when the green flags came out. By about the 3rd or 4th lap both sides felt as they should so I set about trying to catch the people who had come past me. The track was pretty much dry with plenty of grip to be had, so much fun was had chasing the faster guys. The grid order was changed once again in the afternoon with the novice group being tacked onto inters. Seems I didn't go as well in the dry as I had done in the wet and I lost my 4th place dropping to 13th overall. G had been having bike issues and was lying 21st so we didn't get any action in the afternoon until the last session, where I missed the start and had to catch up the field. I came past G going into the esses which apparently made him get his skates on, 'cos from the pictures Bendy took it looks like he was right up my chuff for the entire next lap. Unfortunately the session was red flagged not long after (not that G noticed Wink) due to Bikegirl binning her SV650 race bike in big stylee, so we didn't get to have a tussle and headed back into the pits.

https://www.kornel.com/pics/Snetterton2/t3.jpg

Overall the day was great, certainly more track time than is usual. At one point it seemed that we'd come in, chat for a few minutes and be called out again! Bikegirl's crash was the only red flag of the day, with most other binnings being swiftly dealt with by the Beemsee marshalls under yellows... so unlike Silverstone on Tuesday where nearly every session ended in a red flag this was really well done. ESS say they're going to make the transponder data available on their website so it'll be interesting to get the day's laptimes. One thing I did notice though was something the instructor told us at the briefing, towards the end of the afternoon you'll find yourself pushing a little bit more and will actually go slower as a result. I see where he was coming from, I definitely felt less smooth in the last few sessions - probably the best piece of riding I'd done was actually in the morning, when the track was wet. Anyway, a good day and it'll be interesting to see if they carry on the PACE idea Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reports Thumbs Up

I'll be interested when you get your timings. I'm finding that I'll start off slow (if I don't know the track) and then be going for it by lunch. Then mid-afternoon (assuming I've had some decent tracktime) I start to tire and slow down. I wonder if this is the case with other people?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon
Anyone for donuts?

PostPosted: 15:28 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes.........

After a very long journey due to flooding and the majority of road users deciding to ‘total’ their cars, we arrived at a damp and cold Snetterton at around 2.30 in the morning.

Early morning we had our briefing and set-up the bikes, first out were the Fast group followed by G having an ‘off’ due to swapping his wets? but seemed fine and the R6 only came out with a few battle scars.

The Inters group were out not long after, then us, the Novices, I lined up with Swaffs at the front and Jay & Bendy slightly behind us. I then noticed my radiator had overheated and was pissing coolant out over the track (doh!). Was pulled off to the side whilst the Novice group went off, the marshals and track instructors were very helpful and managed to sort out the problem (over-filled radiator – Thanks Hartgate Motorcycles). I was then told I could go on the track so had my own personal track instructor (oh yes!). The track was very wet so I was cautious throughout, my Dunlop 207’s decided they wanted to ‘spin up’ in almost every gear which dented my confidence a bit but ‘disciplining’ myself on the bike for a change resulted in a smooth ride.

Once back in the pits the instructor came up to me and gave me loads of useful advice and also gave me quite a bit of confidence.

[Big head mode]
After a couple of sessions I was moved up to inters in 10th place,
[/Big head mode]

wasn’t too keen on this as it was my first track-day and the bikes lined up looked quite threatening in a way.

Once out on the track I was loving it, track was drying, keeping up with the riders in front, managed to get overtaken by a couple but regained my grid position in the corners (just). Also managed to overtake a fair few of the riders in front of me in the end which I wasn’t expecting.

Highlights of the day for me, playing with a zx12, I didn’t realise those things could corner so well). We had a battle for a couple of laps but the session unfortunately ended too soon.

The second to last session my bike decided to semi-die on me almost causing me to end up in the gravel, something to do with the clutch/gearbox when it’s running at a high temperature. Think an oil change and closer inspection is needed.

Must say that I was impressed with Swaffs, although having an off in the first session he managed to get a lot of confidence in the afternoon and was riding pretty fast.

All in all, I loved it! The day was great and we all seemed to have a laugh…..

I’m hooked!!

Pace days get a Thumbs Up

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 18:52 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My day started at about 8pm the night before when I decided I should maybe start packing, so I sorted out my stuff. Used 2 roles of electrical tape to semi-repair my water proof jacket. I set off at around 10pm in the pouring rain for a fun filled 2hr journey to snetterton. Just as I reached Thetford (bout 5 miles from the circuit.) I waited to join a round about and a beaten up golf drove buy with a bike sat on the trailer. I thought to my self I wonder where he’s going? Then I noticed the bike looks like swaffs’ CBR, and then I remembered swaffs was driving bendys beaten up Golf. I pulled along side and sat there trying to look at the driver without crashing, he noticed me looked round and it was him. We exchanged raised thumbs and I pulled in front and lead him to the track. Chatted a little to bendy, saw g’s head stick out from the van and chatted a little to swaffs. I warmed up a little then tried to sleep. All I can say is that Germans don’t design cars for a 6 foot 2 inch person to sleep across the front seats, I ended up trying to sleep sat up which didn’t really happen.
The light came and we got up as other people started to arrive we found a garage and set about unloading piles of stuff from the cars and van. Our garage was starting to look quite professional with a couple of stacks of tyres and wheels sat on each side!
Briefing was attended, stuff signed and £12 given over for a thingy to attach to the bike, chocolate and coffee was consumed. Then it was time to start the day proper. I was getting extremely nervous and then we find out G decided to do some landscape gardening and cross country riding in one go.
I got out on track and was very tentative on right hand bends didn’t want to lean the bike at all in the damp so I just went around slowly increasing my speed and confidence. I came across yellows and swaffs standing off the track looking a little annoyed. I carried on around talking myself through what to do next to keep my self calm. It worked and as we set off for the afternoon I started to get a lot faster, even out dragged a bike on the back straight, although he did get past me when I braked insanely early for the next bend. Now I was going faster I noticed that the front end was feeling a bit off when lent over, sorting my tyre pressures seamed to solve this. The afternoon went on and I was getting much happier with the bike.
I dint go out for the last two sessions as I was feeling extremely tired. The way the day was set out was really good. The briefing was more than the normal “don’t kill yourself,” yet it still wasn’t over the top like some of them have been. I liked being ranked in a way that aloud me to go for most of the session with out having a nutcase shove it up the inside when there isn’t an inside to shove it up! I got most of my confidence back and enjoyed the ride home until it rained.
Will be keeping an eye on the ESS web site for more pace days next year! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up to eveyone at ESS for the great day!
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikegirl
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:16 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was cool to meet a few of the BCF folks on Saturday. I haven't been on the forum for a while so didn't realise a gang was going. Sorry I didn't meet everyone in the BCF garage - we were out on track most of the time it seemed - a very good day apart from the off. A shame there were a couple of offs with you lot too - at least you've got the first track incident out of the way now - I've got enough under my belt! Nice to meet Korn on the grid... aren't wets great...

The pace day was excellent. I'd definitely do one again and may go to one of Tony's European events over winter. A frustration was being out accelerated on the SV and being held up in corners, but what the hell, we're all out there to have fun - a couple of blokes were good enough to apologise! It'll be good to get into the races against a load of matching bikes.

My SV was fixed for Silv yesterday thanks to a fabulous bike sponsor/spanner working away til the wee hours of Sunday morning. All I can say is that I'm lucky - with a bike being provided and fixed and the lack of broken bones - I was seriously lying there for a couple of minutes thinking I had a broken arm and leg!

A girl borrowed the SV at Silv and burnt the clutch out in the morning. I only got out for 5 laps of Silv due to organising and bike probs.

Jon
Anyone for donuts?

PostPosted: 21:52 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, were you riding an SV650 or 1000?

Still no lap times on the ESS website, anyone know if they will be sending out our times?

bikegirl
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:54 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Out of interest, were you riding an SV650 or 1000?

Still no lap times on the ESS website, anyone know if they will be sending out our times?

Twas an SV650 - for competing in the Minitwins championship.
ESS were at Brands today so maybe the times will be on tomorrow.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 21:56 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikegirl, I think it was very inconsiderate of you to crash where us spectators and the camera weren't standing. Tut Tut

bikegirl
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:02 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Bikegirl, I think it was very inconsiderate of you to crash where us spectators and the camera weren't standing. Tut Tut

Laughing They need to put some ridges in at the chicane then! Bloomin' 'eck I really wasn't expecting a high speed tank slapper. I've got bruises on bruises, a chipped elbow and a twisted hip. How's G? And Swaffs - first time on track too....

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 22:11 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I took the photo below the lap before the red flag was shown....

https://www.evilbendy.co.uk/gallery/albums/snetterton2/normal_PICT0327.JPG

bikegirl
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:14 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
I think I took the photo below the lap before the red flag was shown....

Ooh, thanks. Don't those wheels look bright! Do you mind if I use that pic?

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes certainly, I will upload the full sized one for you... give me a min and I will pm it to you.

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikegirl wrote:
How's G? And Swaffs - first time on track too....

I'm good, sore ribs, and aching back.
Took a couple of days of work but definately not put off. Twisted Evil

Bring on the next trackday.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Glad to hear your ok, sounded like a nasty off. Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lap times are now available to request.
Unfortunately they did miss out my times for the first session.. was quite interested to see how I did compared to those that weren't pushing thier bikes past the limits Smile.
I sent an email on the link for the croft times and got a reply with my times as attachments. Only got best and 2nd best times though unfortunately.
My best lap time was 1:21.892, which I'm fairly happy with as I know I went a bit faster later on after they took the transponders off.
As I sorted out my late-braking in the last couple of session I was hopefully dipping into the 1:19s. My worst 'best' lap time was on the fourth session 1:27.178. First time I'd gone out after my crash; came in after that session and I found out my head bearings were pretty much finger tight, though I don't know if this was the case because of the crash or a cause of it. I was actually going to come in early because it was really frustrating; in the end I was trying to make it easy for people to get past because the front end felt so cack.
I know they do need adjusting as I had just installed some different top ones, but wasn't expecting it to be this much.

I'm physically fine... didn't have any problems at the time and probably felt less knackered after the day as I hadn't been riding all day Smile. I basically lied it down on the side and slid a bit... though did do the classic get up, but realised when I was on hand and knees that I was still doing 30mph or so, so probably shouldn't get up quite yet.

Bikegirl: is your SV standard, or have you got any fancy suspension etc?
I had actually considered the minitwins, but as you saw it can get frustrating on trackdays... and the prepped bikes seem to be more expensive than the r6 to buy.... oh and I like power as well Smile.

Unfortunately because of the starting problems I had I only managed to do two grid starts I think, and was placed according to my time on my slow session.

Jon
Anyone for donuts?

PostPosted: 11:37 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best lap time was 1.33.038, in session 6

The lap record in the Hornet Cup Championship was 1.21 this year.

Mr. Green

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:59 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff - I was slowing down towards the end of the day like I thought I was.

The second session out after lunch was my fastest (which I thought it was) at 1 min 37 seconds. The sessions after that I was back down to the 1 min 40s.

Now I know I can go quicker than that cos even my fastest lap felt a lot slower than the previous time I was at Snett, so looking forward to next year and improving it. Smile

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 12:28 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best time was 1.52. Not that bad, i thought i was going a lot slower than that! Second best was 1.54.
J

Last edited by jay12329 on 13:10 - 20 Oct 2004; edited 1 time in total

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 12:28 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain 1:40.510 --> Rain 1:36.524 --> Rain 1:28.346 --> Sun 1:23.724 --> Sun 1:23.520 --> Sun 1:22.026

Best lap from last time at Snetterton was a 1:23 so not a good improvement this time Neutral Thumbs Down

bikegirl
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:14 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Bikegirl: is your SV standard, or have you got any fancy suspension etc?
I had actually considered the minitwins, but as you saw it can get frustrating on trackdays... and the prepped bikes seem to be more expensive than the r6 to buy.... oh and I like power as well Smile.

Standard at the mo, Ohlins shock and tweaked fork inners coming next along with dropped clipons and bringing in the rake a tad. We reckon the crash might not have happened with the Ohlins on... since the rear tyre was shreading badly pointing to suspension tweaks being needed (apparantly... I'm learning all this). I agree about the frustration thing but it'll be different on a grid of SVs!
Just waiting for my times but a marhsall clocked me at 1min25.

Jon
Anyone for donuts?

PostPosted: 13:20 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1min25
damn, I got done by a girl Laughing Wink

Apparently the SV's run slightly faster than the Hornets i.e. 1.17's? Is this about right?

bikegirl
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:31 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Apparently the SV's run slightly faster than the Hornets i.e. 1.17's? Is this about right?

Minitwins at Snett had the leader doing 1.17s with the top ten 1.18-1.20. Doing 1.25 puts me in the mid 20s of the pack - so plenty of tweaking and practising to do. Roll on testing in Spain in Feb!!

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain 2:04.655 Crash Embarassed --> Rain -----Fix --> Rain 1:51.801 (3rd gear only) --> Sun 1:45.933 (with instructor)--> Sun 1:43.003 (gaining confidence) --> Sun 1:38.280 (ok I'm getting the hang of it now Twisted Evil ) --->not timed (I know I was faster on last session)

I thought in the brief he was going to prove that we would go slower in the afternoon !!
He didn't consider the improvement in weather !

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:14 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to request them? Think you were doing 1:24s generally (mine were sent to work).

BMCRC club racing at Snettherton results, if anyone wants to compare laptimes.

Oddly enough the Supersport600 actually has some people with slower times than the Rookie600s! Though most people have siad rookie 600s can still be /very/ competitive, oH well, hope I do improve a bit with new head bearings, nevermind the race conditions Smile.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2