Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First Petrol Station Stop

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Azmodeus
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:41 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: First Petrol Station Stop Reply with quote

I was advised to fill up the tank when it got under half full, because the shape of the tank means the gauge drops quicker when the tank gets emptier.

So, it was just about dipping past the halfway mark, the roads weren't wet, and I fancied a ride. So I took it down to the nearest petrol station to fill it up.

Got there fine, despite being behind a couple of old dears on their dodgy-looking mopeds (dodgy as in I-bought-this-40-years-ago-its-fine kind of dodgy Mr. Green)

Pulled in, nice and easy, turned the engine off, got off, put the stand down.
then I took my gloves off, opened up the storage, stuck my gloves in. Then I decided to take my helmet off, and I stuck that in there. Right, time to pump!

Took the pump off the "holster" and stuck it in my petrol hole (And tried to hold back the "Ooo-er Missus" comment). Pulled the "trigger" and.... nothing. A "Ka-chunk" sound, and a little dribble of petrol. Whoop-de-doo. Ok, so I did this about 20 times, figuring ive got a broken pump or something, then gave up. Managed to get the tank just over half full, and cost me the grand sum of 72p! Embarassed

Was there something I had-or-had-not done, or was it indeed a broken pump?

Please be gentle, my confidence has been dented enough today Mr. Green Neutral

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 13:45 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what was wrong. What petrol station company was this?

It *could* be that your fuel reader is wrong and you may of not lost much fuel at all.

I remember my first petrol stop. What a laugh, I must of spilt about a litre of petrol over my bike. Very Happy
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azmodeus
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:47 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure what was wrong. What petrol station company was this?

Havent a clue. One of these local ones. Drive past it so much I dont bother to notice it anymore Mr. Green

Quote:
It *could* be that your fuel reader is wrong and you may of not lost much fuel at all.

Dont know about that. It seems to be ok.

Is there some kind of technique to doing it vetical? (as opposed to horizontal ala cars)

Liono
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:53 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the same happened to me with my bike as well. If you put the pump into the tank and pull the trigger fully it just seems to engage the auto cut-off mechanism on the pump very quickly. What I tend to do now is hold the pump so that the nozzle is only just in the tank and pull the trigger lightly so that the petrol only comes out really slowly, which seems to stop the pump cutting out. My bike doesn't have a fuel gauge on it, so I have gone to the garage to fill it up before only to be able to put in a few pence worth of fuel. This can be very embarrassing if you only have plastic on you as you get very funny looks putting 63p of petrol on the Visa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azmodeus
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:29 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the trick is to have it barely in the tank, and gently press the trigger?

Ok, good to know, ill have to try that.

Weed
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:45 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!

I've been told that the pump nozzle has some kind of sensor on it, and if it feels the petrol touching the nozzle it will automatically stop the flow as it thinks your about to overflow!! What I tend to do, is hover it just above the bar in the "Neck" to the tank and hold the trigger down and keep an eye on the level....hope that helps!

Ade067
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Weed is right,the pump nozzle has an auto cut off device to prevent you overfilling the tank,on a bike its easy to see how much fuel you have but with a car or van you cant see the level as the tank is usually underneath the vehicle and has a very long filler neck so its very difficult to know when to stop hence the auto cut off.

Like others have said just put the very tip of the nozzle into you're tank and only squeeze the trigger gently,once you've filled up a few times you'll soon get the knack of it Smile Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:40 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you've got a scooter from your description. From Goose's scooter I seem to remember it needed about £3.50 to fill it up! So you might not have been as empty as you thought.

Scooters, I think, often have a tube going to the petrol tank, if you pull it to fast then the splash back can activate the sensor weed mentioned.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah just dont pull the trigger so hard.

Pull it gently and progressively (like a brake lever) and keep the nozzle out of the petrol.

The pump will ca-clunk and stop filling if:

You stall it (pull it too quick/far)
You put the nozzle in the petrol

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:59 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the trigger gets to it's "biting point" squeeze so it gets just past it but not much over.
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.

Azmodeus
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:08 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

All helpful points, and ill have to give them a try next time.
Dunno when that will be though, because if it keeps raining like it has been, I probably wont be going out.

Ill update this when I go again Very Happy

Next barrier to break - Driving at night/dark!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:15 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles had you done before going to fill up?

Azmodeus
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:35 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't a bloody clue mate.
Keep forgetting to check the numbers before going off on a trip.
When I finally manage to get it filled up, ill have to make a note of it, then check again when im almost empty.

I only use the bike for spontanous rides, so it could take a few days to empty, could take months if the whether is bad or/and I dont feel like going out.

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 20:56 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading this ....I thought straight away 'auto cut off nozzle'...
Many pumps shut off when the fuel level touched the nozzle...a lot of stations around here do this...but not all..

Hold the nozzle just below the full level of the tank...and watch with your EYES to see where the fuel is coming to.. (oops..I see others have put this already)..ok..I am just backing up the fact Wink

JO...
(useless, late bod) Very Happy

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had trouble filling up the Micra at BP stations. Not at any other kind, just BP.

</random pointless fact>
supermase This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

blake4000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:23 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you cant just put the fuel nozzle in and let the auto-cut off do its work? Never tried that just wondering if anyone has?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:23 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

blake yes you can that's the entire point of it.

It helps to slightly angle the nozzle, i.e twist it inside the tank, as the back splash can set off the auto-stop.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes if you cant get the pump to work (just keeps cutting off) change the angle/depth youre holding it at, it might be touching something and cutting off.

Can be tricky when you fill up a new/unfamiliar car.

yohomiesmelly...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ill sort it.
then it will disengage the trigger either permanently if you persist to try and fill up with way you are doing so or just "click" or go loose (shut off pump pressure) to indicate the tank is near full.

The majority of motorcyclists who use pumps at our garage have the tip of the nozzle about 1cm inside the tank. Guys on mopeds usually have the bottom of the tank right up by the filling hole so they look inside and point the nozzle in a direction where petrol will not splash back at the nozzle of the gun and engage the auto-cut off.

Last edited by yohomiesmellyoulater on 03:36 - 07 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

27yo kid
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:15 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: swirl it Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my kit car (a long horizontal hose meant it kept splashing back.)
hold it at an angle to try to "swirl" the petrol on the inside. as it swirls it wont splash about.
(it like if you empty a bottle of water, swirl it and it will empty quicker!!!)

dannie_10
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi....Everyone is assuming that the problem is you...but did you ask the cashier if there was any problems with that pump, pumps often act this way if they are low on fuel ...only giving out pennies at a time ...it is worth thinking about Wink
ps Manageress of petrol station lol

Azmodeus
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:35 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did consider asking the owner if there was a problem, as they have had problem in the past, but he doesnt speak much English, and it would have been rather an amusing conversation...

Rolling Eyes Wink

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:20 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol don't worry my first petrol stop was okish, but the second, third and fourth were bad! the closest and cheapest petrol station to me is a good old TESCO one. the TESCO station is unlike any other. before you get your petrol you have to hit a button, you either put your card in the machine, or if you wish to pay at the kiosk/shop you have to hit the pay at kiosk button, then wait a second and the pump works the first time i used the TESCO pumps i got all Embarassed and had to get a TESCO woman (how bad is that to be shown up by a woman) anyway, she showed mme how it was done and after paying i rode off asap. i didn't learn my lesson though. the second time i thought the pump wasn't working. also next to the pay at pump button there is another button that says 'end' so i hit that button and once you've hit that button the pump won't work for about 3/4 mins. then the third time at the TESCO station i left my wallet at work! so had to save the transaction and go back an hour later after picking up my wallet.

Finally now i can use all pumps without Embarassed myself. lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:23 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd also love to add, that to fill up my tank, it costs £7.50. that lasts me for roughly 200 miles. i get 100 miles to the gallon and it roughly works out at 4p a mile.

Very Happy Wink Very Happy

as cheap as cheese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2