Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lol, I just made the stupidest mistake...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Lol, I just made the stupidest mistake... Reply with quote

My dad assures me everyone's done it, so maybe you could share with me when this happened to you Wink

I took all your advice and went out to practice, this time my dad was infront of me so I could copy him, and follow his line.
Anywaaaay, coming up to a roundabout, I changed down and pulled the clutch in waiting to turn left.
"A ha, a space!" I thought.... let the clutch out gently, give it some throttle aaand..... bike shudders and stalls. "Bollocks" Mad ... pull the bike into the curb and let cars pass behind me. Find a gap in the traffic, let the clutch out, etc... bike stalls again. "For crying out loud!" Am feeling well embarrased right now, and I don't suppose it helps I'm getting glaring looks off car drivers.. and have two green mohecans on my hat. Embarassed

I guess you all know what my problem is by now, but it took me a further five minutes sitting there and stalling, to realise the problem. Amazingly, I have a brainwave, knock the bike out of second, put it in the PROPER gear, 1st, and pull away like nobody's business. Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

:: sigh ::

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 14:16 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: Lol, I just made the stupidest mistake... Reply with quote

MementoMori wrote:
and have two green mohecans on my hat. Embarassed

Take them off. You'll look like a twat.

I went through my full cbt using second and not first simply because I didn't know that you had to go down from neutral to first. Would of been nice of them to tell me! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:49 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it too much buddy, I did it last week on my Fazer.

Some fucking chugnuts decided he'd had enough of waiting for a gap in the traffic, and decided that pulling across a 2 lane 40mph road was the solution to all of his problems. I'm in 4th, changed down to 3rd because I saw him looking like he was going to do something stupid, and then just speeding up when he makes his suicide move.

On slam the anchors, bike stops in a couple of lengths, some choice anglosaxon pursues the middleaged asian businessman in his large silver merc as he waves at me as if I've offered to let him go past.

Take 2 seconds to cool off, then clutch out, throttle up, stalled. Restart the engine, do the same again, put give it a bit more welly as I pull away. It's only as I glide gently down the road that I realise I'm in 3rd gear :S

At least you were only in 2nd!

If you find that you are heading for a stall, just open up the gas and give it some welly, it should allow you to pull away ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:14 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago on my zx6 I was pulling out of the petrol station, going back to work after my lunch brake.

Clutch, rev. Hardly moves. Car coming in the distance.
More clutch, more revs. Still not moving. Car getting very close as I'm now halfway in the road.
Lots of clutch slipping, lots and lots of revs. My first *big* second gear clutched wheely.
Turns out the car was someone I work with... they just though I was showing off Smile.

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

been there done that on the rs125 many times

my latest one on the gsxr400 is knocking it down to neutral coasting to a set of traffic lights thinking i was in first gear

and then the bike reving like mad and me going no where when the lights change

very embarasing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ade067
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ever forgot to change down to 1st gear before pulling away.

Oh did I mention that I lie like a cheap watch Laughing Thumbs Up

I actually did it today but luckily my bike doesn't mind pulling away in 2nd too much Smile

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:51 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was doing my CBT that was my problem. Kept pulling up at junctions thinking I'd took it back down to 1st when I was in 2nd or even 3rd.

Then to prove a point the instructor hopped on my bike and pulled away in 5th, showoff. Laughing

There is a good chance if you come to a stop before you've worked down through your gears you will think your in first as it won't go down any more. The fact is if your not moving chances are your gears won't go down anyway as they don't like being changed on a standstill.

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 20:59 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CBT was a disaster !!!
I was at traffic lights...pulling away in 3rd...2nd...3rd...did a full WHEELIE AT ONE SET..as I dropped the clutch !! Jesus Shocked

I still, now, knock down to 1st instead of going up to 3rd......or forget what gear I am in approaching a roundabout...
all scary..juddery stuff...

Don't worry...we ALL do it...off days and bad days.....
some days it clicks...some days...I am a pleb Confused

Jo xxx

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: Lol, I just made the stupidest mistake... Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
I went through my full cbt using second and not first ..... Laughing

i did the stalling because i forgot i was in 2nd on my CBT but did a subtle use the starter motor as well trick LMAO well it wasnt my bike it seemed to be good in theroy Twisted Evil (worries me that the starter worked in gear on the learner heep they gave me Shocked )

Last edited by Smoto Bob on 21:13 - 17 Oct 2004; edited 2 times in total

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 21:11 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear not, I've done it aswell, I love spotting the gap at a roundabout, only to crack the throttle open, to hear a low rumble and moving forwards very slowly.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:49 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those moments well sort of "grrrrrr chug chug cluck...bastard'' moment, oh the embarrasment, especially as i only had a kick start and of corse it refused to start again. Joy!!

Phill
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipnet11 wrote:
especially as i only had a kick start and of corse it refused to start again. Joy!!

lol done that as well, major Hill start 2 up Rolling Eyes and still hadnt made a rear brake lol didnt cause a traffic jam at all, lol. Cant kick it will passenger on Very Happy

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:15 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister did that an awful lot in her cbt, ive had my bike for a number of weeks now and i still have more to go, im hoping to be so used to the bike that that wont happen to me, i bet it will but im hoping it wont, the best ive done is pull away in 4th on mine but i doubt id be able to if i didnt know it was in 4th. i can pull away in second when thinking its in first tho Smile

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I did that at two consecutive junctions when I went out on my own for the first time Very Happy I thought my bike was broken Embarassed How embarrassed was I? Then I started thinking, how the hell can it have so little low down power? Along with, am I really that inept with the clutch? Embarassed Hehe Very Happy Something you get used to. Especially hard I found, coming from a car, where what gear you're in is instantly obvious with a quick left and downward glance.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAH! i still do that now, allthough i have got used to letting the clutch out slowly if in doubt. At least that way you just have to stop, kick it down a bit, then carry on rather than actually stalling it.

I can honestly say that most have problems like there where they kick it down to 2nd thinking it was in bottom gear. only the other week i spent 10 minutes trying to get my bike into neutral only to be told by m1ke i was actually going from 2nd to 3rd rather than 1st to 2nd Whistle

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can honestly say that most have problems like there where they kick it down to 2nd thinking it was in bottom gear. only the other week i spent 10 minutes trying to get my bike into neutral only to be told by m1ke i was actually going from 2nd to 3rd rather than 1st to 2nd

Done that one before too. Thinking 'the gearbox cant be so bad that its this difficult to find neutral' How stupid i felt. Though you've never experienced a bad gearbox till you've riden a royal enfield 4-speed!!

Phill
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1