Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

how much trouble would i be in?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mrgrendlesir
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: how much trouble would i be in? Reply with quote

im still on my cbt but im considering deresricting my nsr - if i sent it in for an mot would they tell my insurer and if so how much trouble would i be in?

Ade067
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they wouldnt tell you're insurer and anyway how would they know who you're insurer is unless you tell them? Its not something they need to know anyway!

As for derestricting it you would technically be uninsured and if you had an accident or anything you would be screwed...bigtime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nighteyes
Dirty Bint

PostPosted: 21:19 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend it but you would hardly be the first person to risk it, personally I'd suggest doing your test and then you can ride it de-restricted legally minus the L plates. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:32 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the MOT people would not tell your insurance company that your NSR is de-restricted. The MOT test does not include taking the bike to bits to see if you have a restrictor fitted, you don't have to even have a license to get a bike MOT'ed, how you get the bike to the MOT test station and home after is up to you and the MOT tester will not know if you're meant to have restrictors fitted and he won't know if they are fitted or not.

If your insurance company found out then they'd not cover you as you're not licensed, but I've never heard of that happening with anyone. If the police found out then you'd be done for no license and no insurance but again I've never heard of it happening, to catch you they'd have to take the bike to bits and know what to look for so chances of that happening are pretty much nil.

mrgrendlesir
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:40 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: muchos gracias Reply with quote

just so long as i know the risks - its just too tempting not to at least think about. i've got more than that to think about anyway; ill be getting it back after 10 months of having to fix it myself after an evil patch of black ice on a dual carriageway. Im not sure if getting the bike back after 10 months with an extra 30mph on top is a good plan.

ian_s
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im not sure if getting the bike back after 10 months with an extra 30mph on top is a good plan.

I wouldn't worry about the extra speed. It's a 125 2 stroke after all. The bike will only go as fast as you let it.

Personally I believe that it is probably safer de-restricted as you can then keep up going up hills on a dual carriageway.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm supposed to restrict my er5 to 33bhp but cant help feel its a complete and utter con to sell me something which technically won't make my bike much different to what it already is....(many er5 owners say this)

Has anyone actually heard of anyone getting caught? I hear that they can request proof of restriction by getting you to take it to a special garage and have them inspect it. Then you take it to the police station. All within seven days.

But then again, thats a rumour, anyone want to ask a traffic cop/police (wo)man?

I've noticed only one company makes the restriction kits. Wonder if they're run by the government as a way to milk our hobby to death??!!??!!

https://www.fiinternational.com

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact of how much difference it makes to your bike is down to the fact you have a bike reasonably close to 33bhp to start with, it costs the same to buy a 33bhp kit for a 34bhp bike as a 133bhp bike. Technically it makes the same difference on all bikes, it makes them 33bhp.

I havn't heard of anyone being caught not for 33bhp, the police don't know much about it, I was stopped on my ZX6R by a bike cop and he thought that a 600 was the biggest I was allowed to be riding until I was 21. They can ask for the proof of restriction but you do not have to have an FI International kit, you can have any kit you want to have as long as it makes your bike less than 33bhp.

They can ask for it to be tested and checked and you can ask for it to be done at a later date, don't know about the 7 day thing, if you have been given a producer then you have to take it to the police station within 7 days to show them your documents.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

aah haaaa, that clears things up, cheers Very Happy

I'd be all to happy to restrict the bike to 33bhp, but not for £180+...

cheers Smile

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:46 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't man, if you do de-restrict it and have a bad accident the insurance company won't pay a penny and yours will go up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:55 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know people who have been involved in accidents whilst on a 33bhp license and it's not been checked, despite the restrictors being under the seat. Laughing

Insurance companies generally know fuck all about the 33bhp laws, but if it was a big claim then they will look for any reason they can get out of covering you. Generally they will still cover you but they will then come knocking on your door to recover all their costs. If they don't cover you then the Motor Insurance Bureau will cover you and pay out but they will come after you for their costs.

If it did happen you'd be completely fucked, but never heard of it happening, or the police doing someone for 33bhp or someones insurance company noticing or finding out they're not at 33bhp so it is fair to say the chances of it happening are pretty much 0.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On tpft insurance, theres not much that could go wrong anyway is there?

Bike's stolen, theres no evidence. On fire is something else but thats quite rare so I'll ignore it Wink

So, if I have a unrestricted bike and crash into someone, it ultimately being my fault, surely they'd cover the other guy for the damage...? And then say "f*ck off, we ain't insuring you again" Wink

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I de-restricted mine and MOT'd it fine - at the garage I bought it from Laughing SO, no - they won't check anything like that during MOT.

Instigator - leave it de-restricted - that way you can come out for runs with the rest of us Thumbs Up

There is a guy who comes with us sometimes on another ER-5 - his is restricted to 33Bhp and it is very slow compared to full power versions, so it does make a very big difference. Mine leaves his for dead.

Hope this helps,

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:56 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
On tpft insurance, theres not much that could go wrong anyway is there?

Bike's stolen, theres no evidence. On fire is something else but thats quite rare so I'll ignore it Wink

So, if I have a unrestricted bike and crash into someone, it ultimately being my fault, surely they'd cover the other guy for the damage...? And then say "f*ck off, we ain't insuring you again" Wink

A claim for theft or for the bike being burn and needing replacing isn;t much for an insurance company. In the event of a third party claiming they employ people to look for ways out of having to pay out and be out of pocket. The bigger the claim is the harder they look, so you could be fairly certain that in the event of a crash where there are personal injury claims for something substantial they would go down the avenue of seeing if you had the bike restricted, at least to see if you had the bit of paper to say you had it restricted.

AcIdBuRnZ, to MOT a bike you do not have to be license to ride it, they really don't care one bit as to if you're allowed to ride the bike you're paying them to MOT, as checking to see if a bike is restricted if you're on a 33bhp license isn't part of the MOT.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1