Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Attentiveness and some explanation for SMIDSYS!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Attentiveness and some explanation for SMIDSYS! Reply with quote

First off, watch this and follow the instructions on the video:
Appreciate this has been going around for a while, but g'wan, give it a go again anyway!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY
Results are discussed below - please watch first Smile.

Then for some more explanation of that, this a presentation about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59js7dcie08






























Nothing to see here! (No, really.)


Last edited by G on 11:32 - 28 Oct 2011; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I counted the correct amount of passes. 16. Then I was like, well that was a crock of sh!t. How hard was it?


And then he said did you notice the gorilla and a player leave. Fcuk off was there a gorilla there.

Rewind...

https://zedpop.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/1344310069_6b360890aa.jpg
____________________
"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."
Sudika Sportsman SK50QT > Gilera DNA50 > Honda CBR125 RW7 > Kawasaki Zephyr750 > Suzuki GSXR600 > Honda Hornet CB600F '51
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed!
And thus I think a good explanation of why we do get so many cases of bikes not being seen - people aren't actively looking for them, they're paying attention actively looking for cars, which they can do quite well if they actually try (counting the passes).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crock of shit. The task given, of specifically counting specific passes from a specific type of person, in no way equates with driving a vehicle and monitoring other traffic. It would be more comparable to say "Drive from point a to point b and count all red cars that make left turns."
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the basketball one before and knew a gorilla would be there thus I looked for it (and saw it this time obviously), the other 2 bits were unexpected (and missed) though, good vid! Smile
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:42 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...so what if you noticed everything... Laughing Judging with my history on bikes... I shouldn't have even seen the video, let alone a ball being thrown around Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

olionel
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

never done this before.. counted right, and saw the gorilla and did wonder was he there at the start??? nearly put me off... but no chance of spotting the gradual colour change, I don't think the brain can cope tbh.. it's not even a sharp change it just does it very gradual.
____________________
1989 CG125 - Childhood Sweetheart (she got kidnapped by baddies)
1998 ZXR400 - Teenage Love (lasted three years, then she turned lesbian and left me)
2001 XRV750 - Wife Material (still getting to know her but head over heels in love)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherlock Holmes wrote:


You see, but you do not observe.


____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more an exercise in misdirection than perception.

I did spot the gorilla.

However. If they'd given instructions to count how many times the BLACK team passed the ball, I bet nobody would miss either the gorilla or the missing player.

The background colour change was gradual and slight keeping the same saturation. If it had suddenly gone blue, again, people would have noticed.

It was a deliberate and carefully designed trick and to me doesn't prove very much of anything.

It's like claiming you made an object disappear by saying "Look over there! a flying pig!" and putting it in your pocket.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It was a deliberate and carefully designed trick and to me doesn't prove very much of anything.

My point is that people intentionally look out for cars when pulling out of a junction, say (the people in white) and something such as a bike may well be akin to the gorilla and other changes.

And yes, thus bikers do tend to notice other bikers even when in a car, when car drivers often don't.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does illustrate that you can look right through a gorilla sporting a massive erection[1] while focussing on something else.

Whether that explains why people miss bikes while looking out for cars, buses, trucks and such is a slightly different question.

I'm minded to agree that it does, and that it's because they don't see us as proper road traffic, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Aside, I'm sure most of us have seen this video of the anti-SMIDSY weave. I initially thought "what a muppet", but I have to admit that I've been trying it out recently.

I've got no empirical evidence that it helps, but it does fit in with my philosophy that it doesn't matter how daft other road users think you are, as long as they see and acknowledge you.

Doing it regularly also get you into the habit of treating junctions and the risk of SMIDSYs seriously: actually taking action, rather than just telling yourself to watch out for Micra Man sharpens the mind wonderfully, I think.






















[1] If you checked the vid to see, it was me that was sporting the massive erection, not the gorilla.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Aside, I'm sure most of us have seen this video of the anti-SMIDSY weave. I initially thought "what a muppet", but I have to admit that I've been trying it out recently.

May be easier to see, but from that video it looks like the bike is 'flashing' too - giving it the possibility of making it more likely a car will pull out because they think you're letting them out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the test proves people may miss a gorilla suit where balls are being thrown.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video proves that people ignore things, they are not looking for...which makes sense I suppose.

I don't think it is anywhere near the same as being on the roads. I look out for everything from Horses to car and from pot holes to diesel.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

I don't think it is anywhere near the same as being on the roads. I look out for everything from Horses to car and from pot holes to diesel.

For you, yes; for a lot of people in my experience; not really.
Especially the sort that only drive the same roads for the same reasons at the same times - rather than the sort that go out and find new roads to enjoy actually using them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smidsy-weave...what utter bollocks. Never mind that the first jobsworth pig to see it would have you over for "without due care".

A slack-jaw-disruptive flashing light is what I used, red-green-blue (cop-light blue).
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fatpies
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cooler mind trick is this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lilac-Chaser.gif

Watch the cross in the middle, what happens to the dots?
____________________
"It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Aside, I'm sure most of us have seen this video of the anti-SMIDSY weave. I initially thought "what a muppet", but I have to admit that I've been trying it out recently.

May be easier to see, but from that video it looks like the bike is 'flashing' too - giving it the possibility of making it more likely a car will pull out because they think you're letting them out.


That put me off trying it for a good while. It's situational, you'd only want to do it where you suspect that Micra Man is likely to pull out on you anyway. Just being noticed is half the battle, IMO.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and presuming I'm on a bike with a loud exhaust, in those situations I tend to pull the clutch in and blip the exhaust - as it should be fairly hard for that to be misunderstood as "you can go now".
Also consider beeping the horn, but I generally consider that a bit 'rude'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Oh and presuming I'm on a bike with a loud exhaust, in those situations I tend to pull the clutch in and blip the exhaust - as it should be fairly hard for that to be misunderstood as "you can go now".
Also consider beeping the horn, but I generally consider that a bit 'rude'.

Agreed - which is a shame, it seems to be a British thing - on the continent people use their horns far more readily, but rather than being perceived as aggressive it's more of a 'I'm here!' warning.
If you sound your horn in Britain it will generally just incite road rage for no real reason!
That said, on the bike I use the horn far more than I do in the car.
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually use the Horn more in the lorry.

But it is a big loud air horn.

Which I suspect just shows my principals are rather thin and easily corrupted by toys!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

My point is that people intentionally look out for cars when pulling out of a junction, say (the people in white) and something such as a bike may well be akin to the gorilla and other changes.

And yes, thus bikers do tend to notice other bikers even when in a car, when car drivers often don't.


True, but what I was getting at was that video had been very carefully choreographed and the colours very carefully chosen to MAKE it difficult for you to see what was happening.

Their instruction to watch the white people and the subsequent criss-crossing of the black and white people makes you realise that in order to watch and count what the white people and only the white people are doing, you have to quite deliberately filter out and ignore the back people and what they are doing.

So you are actively ignoring the black ones, it's not surprising you don't notice one of them disappearing and let's be clear, it wasn't a gorilla. It was a person wearing a black hairy suit.

I bet everyone would have noticed a real gorilla, they move differently and as hunters, our eyes are attuned to movement. That's whay the weaving thing works coming up to junctions
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 28 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Smidsy-weave...what utter bollocks. Never mind that the first jobsworth pig to see it would have you over for "without due care".

A slack-jaw-disruptive flashing light is what I used, red-green-blue (cop-light blue).


I would not go as far as that weave. But certainly a waggle of the front to make the light move sideways is very eye catching.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 29 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, actually I should clarify that I don't do that exaggerated amount of direction-changing weaving, I just do some gentle lateral movements, aiming to end up positioned well away from the cage at the critical point in case I need to do a proper swerve.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blade023
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 29 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting stuff there. As for that weaving thing, I'd have to say that I probably wouldn't do that to attract attention to myself. As mentioned before, there is a horn for doing just that, and even though flashing the high beams is taken to mean "I'm letting you pass" according to driving theory it's supposed to be used only to make other road users aware of your presence.

It's something I think about a lot when I'm on the roads, whether other road users can see me and have noticed me there. Going back to the horn, an interesting point I was told by an instructor is that I should "use the horn if necessary, to make other road users aware of you, but rather than one blast which can be aggressive, do two short beeps." So more of a 'toot toot' which is 'friendlier.'
____________________
Current: VFR800 2008 13.7k and rising rapidly!
Sorn: 2003 FZS1000 30k(ish) looking to sell.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.22 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 134.03 Kb