New Biker =D

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:45 - 19 Oct 2004    Post subject: New Biker =D Reply with quote

Hi all Very Happy

I'm Kev and I've been riding on L-plates for the past 3 months now. I have a nice big yellow Hyosing Comet GT125 at the moment which I'll be selling in maybe 3-4 months time. Hopefully when I get some money I'll be doing my direct access test so I can get myself a nice CBR400 Very Happy

Look forward to getting to know you people Very Happy

Kev
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:13 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, welcome to the forum
sounds like a nice idea the cbr 400 like what i want to do at 17 when i finally get there.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:48 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, you've found a nice forum here.

CBRPETER
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:50 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, another Kev, cool.

Well youv'e picked the right place to come too.
Oh and nice bike! Smile

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:28 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sychosis
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:33 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, i'm also on l's but i have my test booked for end of november
psy?cho?sis (si-ko-sis),n. pl. psy?cho?ses (-sez) ,A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:53 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice good luck with the test Very Happy

Kev

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: New Biker =D Reply with quote

Project9928 wrote:
I'm Kev and I've been riding on L-plates for the past 3 months now.

Sounds like something you'd say at an AA meeting!!! Laughing

Welcome mate, hope all goes well with the DAS Thumbs Up

MArk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:46 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, not long joined myself. i recommend you take your test asap, well thats my opinion anyway. 400s are the way forward for us youngens
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:57 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Acidburnz thats what I thought when I was typing it Razz Thanks mate.

Yeah I will try to take the test asap but I have a slight money issue and lack of job at the mo, so its going to take me about a month or so to get the funds hopefully. Can't wait to get myself a nice 400 Very Happy

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:23 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you guys should consider an ER-5 or GS500 as a first 'big' bike?

A 400cc sports bike will cost a lot more to insure than either of these 2. The 500cc twin cylinders have more usable power and will not scare you too much, but still plenty enough to keep you happy for another year or so, and give you as a rider the time to adjust to handling a bigger heavy machine too. 400 sports are revy little buggers and could easily catch you out.

Just remember that just because it's 'only' 400cc doesn't mean it's cheap to run and insure, or easy to ride Thumbs Up

Hope this helps,

MArk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

paulyzf600
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:01 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I have also just joined the forum.
Just passed my DAS test two weeks agao and it was a relief cos it was costing me a fortune, mind better that I spent the money to get the proper training than not at all!
I learnt on an ER-5 and it's a supurb bike with plenty of go.

Oh and good luck for ya test, hoipe for it to rain cos I was constantly hoping for it not to then it rained it's hardest of the week in that hour of my test, bloody typical!, still it's good for experiance.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 01:54 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 twins are more than fast enough (a GPZ is at least), but they just dont look right. They look like old mens bikes (why my dad has one). Perhaps I stereotype too much and am too vain, they are more than quick enough though. The GPZ doesnt like very hot city riding though.

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:25 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at some specs for the GS500, ZXR400 and CBR400 which are:

GS500 are 39.39bhp with 24.59ft-lb @ 8000rpm.
ZXR400 are 60bhp with 26.8ft-lb @ 12000rpm.
CBR400 are 59bhp with 26ft-lb @ 12000rpm.

From what I was told about bikes from when I first started, I was told to look at how much torque the bike puts out compaired to the bhp. So to me this looks like the GS puts out more torque at 8000rpm then the other bikes and I had the impression that sports bikes had all there torque spread out over the rpm range more then normal bikes. So I kind of came to the conclusion that I would have more trouble getting used to a bike that has more low down torque when moving straight from a 125cc bike.

So thats my confusing look on bikes really and I ask for you all to correct me because I am new to this game and I'm just patching bits and peices of what people have told me together, so more then likely I'm wrong lol.

Also what troubles do you get with sports bikes as opposed to normal bikes when moving straight from a 125?

I have lots to learn Sad

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:43 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. Sports bikes have there torque in a narrow part of the rev range - called the powerband. You've probably heard that term before.

A 500cc twin, such as the ER-5, has more torque spread out all over it's rev range, meaning the bike will 'take off' even when you are in the wrong gear or low down in the revs. This is the reason why these bikes are more 'friendly' - the power is more usable and because they don't spin up so high/quickly they are more forgiving to the novice rider.

Sports bikes rely more on the high spinning (revving) of the engine to produce their power. Then when the power does kick in is when it will catch you out, as it will rocket very quickly.

Hope this helps, even a little.

MArk

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 04:06 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks acidburnz that helps a lot. most of the info i got off people were bits and peices and that was all from many people lol no wonder I got a little confused. I'll have to start looking at 500s then. I might go for a honda CB500 then but I'll decide later. Thanks mate Very Happy

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:11 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah Mark, you know 400 sports are the way to go. Wink

Nah, it really depends on what you want out of a bike. 400 sports are really for having some fun. They will probably have their problems at some point of you owning them. They're old bikes and quite expensive too. So good and bad points to them. ER-5 like Mark has is also a lot of fun. Will be quite reliable and you can get a much newer one for less money than you'd pay for a 400cc.

What's your insurance on the ER-5 Mark? Should be a good comparison since we're the same age near enough and have the same no claims etc.

My lowest quote on my GSXR400R was £240 TPTF. But I added in TPO on any bike and pillion cover and commuting so that was £270 in the end.

What age are you Project9928?

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:09 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 21, 22 in Jan. to be totally honest I don't know what I really want to get at the mo :S lol very undersided. I've actually just been looking at the SV650 because a friend of mine is getting one for his first bike. The naked SV with the belly pan looks damn nice Very Happy But I've just really got to make up my mind at the mo.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurance is £190 TPFT with 3 points and 1 accident claim (both happened on my old car insurance policy, but declared on the bike policy). Low risk area. Bike off road.

I know sports bikes are more fun, but as a new biker they are not the most comfortable or easiest to live with and learn to ride on.

The SV650 is a great compromise between the two ends of the scale - it's sporty enough with low insurance group, and comfortable enough looking for commuting - however, talking from experience, you should get the faired version (have you been on a naked bike at 100mph??? Laughing )

Mark

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:16 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I've had my comet up to 80mph and that was bad enough lol although the naked SV650 with just the belly pan on looks the nuts Thumbs Up

philcxiv
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:14 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Rolling Eyes Cant think of much else to say? Thumbs Up

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to you, but you'll regret it and wish you got the faired version...

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:34 - 27 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using it 95% around town so it won't be much of a bother and i could live without fairings. plus i shouldn't be doing 100mph either Razz hehehe

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 27 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project9928 wrote:
I'll be using it 95% around town so it won't be much of a bother and i could live without fairings. plus i shouldn't be doing 100mph either Razz hehehe

Neither do I Shifty Shhh! Angelic

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:55 - 27 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

tut tut tut naughty boy Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2