BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The sexy Jl

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

18aprilia
I don't get it?

PostPosted: 23:21 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: The sexy Jl Reply with quote

what do you think to this beauty hope to get this for my rs125 one day....

18aprilia
I don't get it?

PostPosted: 23:23 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a sound clip of this baby being reved up, and all i can say is wow, it sounds like a viper not the car, nor the snake, but its hard to explanie it sounds very wicked, and very overpowering,

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 23:48 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

don,t expect much increase in performance, apart from the sound and looks there a bit of a waste of money
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:04 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

18aprilia wrote:
sounds like a viper not the car, nor the snake

Ermm, what type of viper then? Eh?

It's a race can for a 125, it won't offer you anything your standard can offers apart from tart value and quite likely to not be road legal, so not a worthwhile purchase imo.

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:10 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ermm, what type of viper then? Eh?

A Vindscreen Viper.

I`m sorry, it's early in the morning, and I've had a couple. Of bottles of wine. Laughing Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 21:35 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will offer an increase in performance due to the re-design of the expansion chamber. It will improve the top end performance and maybe a little in the mid-range. The single version will be better for performance due to the aid of backpressure.

Before anyone asks, I know someone who has got that exact same exhaust.

So Ste, not only does it improve performance but it will not rust (because its stainless steel), sounds better and looks better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

18aprilia
I don't get it?

PostPosted: 21:45 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers gun for backing me up, i can always count on the rs crew

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it made out of stainless steel? Stainless expands when it gets hot and you lose a bit of power, ask any 2 stroke tuner. Mild steel may rust, but its better for 2 stroke pipework. Its does look quite nice though.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 23:22 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's missing the tartan bag thingy Smile

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 23:24 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. the pipe will make harly any Noticeable increase in the BHP

2. stainless steel does rust just not as fast as mild steel (just wait till they start putting the salt down)

l could go out fork out £500 and get a pair of jolly moto etc exhausts for my KR1-S, the only advantage it would give is less weight than the standard pipes and a lighter wallet.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JL pipes are too expensive for my taste, and dont offer visual enhancement either. (Much prefer the singles.)

But the change in expansion chamber design alters the power to make it rev cleaner throughout the range and even a little higher.

Nothing wrong with getting a performance can. Look at 125 MX bikes for example. Shape of the chamber gives more torque at a part of the rev range.

It will improve over stock, (Check on the Aprilia forum and talk to people who own it, theres plenty of them) just I wouldnt go for the twin. One added silencer is a lot more.. Pound Coin Pound Coin
LorryDriver This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nickrs125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:01 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know anything about 2 stroke expansion chambers and how they work :s

firstly, the pipe should be as smooth and as stepless as possible, a straight pipe would be ideal but as you know this is impossible on a bike, this needs to be smooth so as to allow the backpressure to force new fuel back into the exhaust port without being disturbed. Note the amount of welds on the JL this is what they have shown here as an example of a smooth front pipe.

Obviously the width of the pipe matters, a fat (strong) bellied expansion chamber will aid an engine with low compression, and a thin body if it has relatively high compression. You will notice it is a medium width due to the rs having a mid range compression ratio, so as you can see it has been designed with a standard to race tuned barrel in mind.

The rear cone should be double the volume of the barrel itself, the barrel is 124cc so rear cone should be 248, this is to make sure the expansion rate is perfect for the cc size, this is why people recommend custom pipes after fitting big bore kits.

at the end of the rear cone there will be a link pipe which goes to silencer/s this needs to be as straight as possible to avoid deflecting the back pressure waves, which the JL single and twin manages well. But the single has a slight advantage.

As for it being SS. The Mild steel expansion chambers also expand just like all materials do on this planet when heated. So whats your point. He will have designed this, with this in mind, dontya think.

You all talk a load of bullshit, dont talk crap about a subject you know nothing about.
pinky This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickrs125 wrote:

You all talk a load of bullshit, dont talk crap about a subject you know nothing about.

Charming... Rolling Eyes Nothing like agreeing to disagree. Are you an American by any chance?

The basic point still stands, all it would really be going to do would be lighten his wallet, look nice, perhaps sound a bit less like a wasp in a Coke can, and not really gain much performance that actually matters.
LorryDriver This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

LorryDriver wrote:

There saying the only advantage of the JL is the looks, but it should have a mild steel expansion which looks worse but performs better! hahaha

Well from what I can gather, that is a mixture of what everybody has posted due to conflicting views and seeing as we are not one collective mind I guess that makes the above post null and void Smile

Who cares anyway, they look nicer I agree, louder which is good if you want it. But as show on the dyno thread on 125cc sportsbikes the amount of power gained from these mods is pathetic, around £1000 for 4hp - 6hp and that is every single mod. So if you just have the exhaust, it is going to do bugger all for total power gains. You can throw around all the technical jargon you want, but in the end it is about as useful as a carbon fibre dust cap.

It isn't worth arguing over, some people want to mod their 125cc two strokes, fair play.

And I don't think anybody really cares if jonny doesn't like them? Laughing

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 18:10 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Yup i agree there, but the total spent on performance mods was something like £700, the most important part ahs not been carried out yet - Things like setting the squish and fine tuning, this may add 1-2hp to the total bhp. To all you 600cc+ 4T owners who think that power is everything then you may think that 1-2hp is nothing, but on a bike weighing 120kgs dry then it is a lot.

Not everyone opts for the simple "i want more power so ill get more cc's" this view - i have noticed is shared by many people on BCF which is fine by me and its up to them, but i dont see why they should then argue that buying a performance exhaust for a small cc bike is "a waste of money" and say things like "it wont add performance" When if you actually knew anything about 2 strokes or how they work then you will realise that YES it will add performance.

All i am trying to say is that if you dont know anything about 2 strokes, or anything about the exhaust manufacturer Jim Lomas, then please do not make stupid un-informative and useless comments like as said above.
And why do you big cc bikers have no respect for smaller cc'd bikes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
jayluvmito This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Funny). Unhide this post / all posts.

18aprilia
I don't get it?

PostPosted: 18:25 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

just one thing...........

"2 Stroke Poweh Rullllezzzzzzzzzzz"

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I have never heard such a load of bollocks in my life, I very much doubt it is a case of *disrespecting 125's* or hating them, the fact is that spending £1000 on tuning for a 125 is not cost effective. You can buy a 400cc for £600 with twice the power, or a 250cc two stroke for £500. After seeing the dyno results, you can't argue that the mods don't give very good results, the exhaust must add what 0.5hp/1.0hp?

Granted some people want to tune them up, but you lot always come out with the same shit about hating 125's and don't respect other peoples opinions on the subject when the facts are staring you in the face Karma Most people on this forum have moved on from 125's, they have no interest in them and much more experience than any of you so perhaps you should listen to them rather than slagging them all off?

I just see my 125 as a means to an end, the route to a bigger bike, which is why I would never put any tarty bits on it Smile

And lorrydriver Laughing Stop getting so upset, no need to rate my posts abusive now is there Laughing

EDIT: oh and jayluvmito I don't think anybody in this thread has a 600cc? or a full titanium system? half of the people who posted in this topic have two strokes Rolling Eyes

Another null and void post? Laughing

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 19:22 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
You can buy a 400cc for £600 with twice the power, or a 250cc two stroke for £500.

Did you actually read my post or not???
I take it you didnt but i put
Quote:
Not everyone opts for the simple "i want more power so ill get more cc's"
Some people find 125's fun, which is why they do not want a 400. Its like tuning a 600 and then saying, whats the point when you can get a thou!!

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did read your post, it was worth reading Thumbs Up However that backed up my statement that tuning 125's is not worth it, in my opinion of course.

I am not disputing the fact that many people want to tune them Smile

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:34 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they look pretty cool, they cost a lot of money and don't really make much difference, i had a single JL on my old rs125 but it came with it and my bike wasn't much faster than a mates rs125 which had the standard pipe. Most of the difference if any will be in your head.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:54 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikedudextrm wrote:
I think they look pretty cool, they cost a lot of money and don't really make much difference

Exactly, so the one thing they offer is the looks, please someome explain that to the "it's a performance part!!" people.

No one is against 125's, just that spending lots of money on parts bought as "performance parts" for them is completly pointless as they don't offer you any real performance increase and the money would be better spent on doing your test and getting a bigger bike.

Lorrydriver, grow up, you've already managed to kill your LorryDriver71 account why not make a vague effort to not do the same again. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Ste on 14:32 - 27 Oct 2004; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2