Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How strict are the coppers:?:

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: How strict are the coppers:?: Reply with quote

Once i get going on my bike i will have a 'competition only' twin exhaust, a tinted visor (dont know if its legal or not) and a small num. plate. should i just stick to being legal or not? and how strict are the coppers, what would a get for doing this Question

Is it all worth it?

thanks, Nick
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the cop. I think they're pretty strict over smaller number plates. Unless you want to spend £30 to pay the fine, I'd just say put standard back on.

I dont think they will be too bothered about the exhaust as long as you arent riding dangerously or speeding. (I had a race pipe on my Derbi Senda and never had a problem, and that was loud! Shocked )

As for the visor, they might not like that either. I think in the summer they can understand bikers using one but not coming towards winter, besides, there is no sun to block out. Laughing

I'd change back to the clear visor just for the safety reasons, visibility is bad enough at 4pm without having a black visor over your eyes too.

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a first offence, plates, cans and visors are non- endorsible offences, so you're looking at just a fine, How strict the plod are depends on where abouts you are, the time of year, and the individual pig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in the south reading, any opinions on the cops in reading?

your experiances?

Nick
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
As for the visor, they might not like that either. I think in the summer they can understand bikers using one but not coming towards winter.

Clear visors are less safe at this time of year than at any other, with the sun being so much lower in the sky. I wouldn't leave the house in daylight hours at this time of year without taking my dark, or mirrored visor.

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

also whats the law on indicators, or can they be as small as you want them to be?

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small number plate is asking for trouble as its easy to see by a following copper. They pull you for that and they are more likely to do you for plate, pipe & visor.

Std plate, Race pipe and dark visor...Well as long as you don't ride like a twat through towns and villages pissing off the natives you won't have trouble. Also if you use common sense with the dark visor ie:don't wear it at dusk,night or low visibilty situations a decent copper wouldn't give you a second look.

I have a race pipe and dark visor and have for the last 10 years and have only been pulled by the fuzz Shocked twice both being the usual 'is this you bike sir' routine. After a brief polite chat they let me on my way, not even issuing a producer.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number plates are there for a reason ffs, stick to the rules on that one...

Exhaust, only if the coppers had a bad day, and as for the visor, just get an insert - if not, be sensible and dont use it in dark conditions Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:32 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being funny but,

Dark visor is OK ish as long as the weather is bright AND you carry a clear one.

However, race pipe, small plate and L's.

You are asking, nay begging to be pulled over IMO.

They may even realise the bike should be restricted to 30mph...

Personally I wouldn't take the risk for a year (especially your first year) of biking. Sixteen year old 50cc riders have made a name for themselves around here for being foolish. I get the impression that the police in Reading realise this and know the score.

The point is, if you don't take the mickey then you'll be OK. All that stuff you mention /IS/ taking the mickey IMO.

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit didnt think about the restriction, i would be f*cked if i was pulled over for small plate, visor, pipes and D.restriction on my CBT in the first year of riding. and i wouldn't be able to pay the fine with only a saturday job

better not get small plate or visor then, but im keeping my pipes and im not restricting it.

thanks for showing me the light, Nick

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rieju.rs1.evolution wrote:

thanks for showing me the light, Nick

Perhaps you need that dark visor after all. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know anything of the size of the indicators?

Is there a specific size they have to be? or can it be any?

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be countless reams of Single Vehicle Approval and National Type Approval documentation about the size, visibility and positioning of indicators. Needless to say, I don't have a clue, other than to say I would think that a rule of thumb would be to have a brighter bulb the smaller your indicators get. Indicator visibility is something you don't want to screw about with too much, they do matter an awful lot if you don't want to get knocked off by things not realising you were turning.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 01:03 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
Indicator visibility is something you don't want to screw about with too much, they do matter an awful lot if you don't want to get knocked off by things not realising you were turning.

I'd be happy if they just realised I was there, let alone realise I wanted to turn Smile

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 12:18 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't laws about indicators, because legally you don't need them.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:33 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe there is as Motrax mini indicators are sold with them being E marked, but as long as your indicators are vaguelly visible and orange I can't see you having a problem, because as said you don't actually have to have them. But it could well be the same as the laws about mirrors, you don't have to have them but if you do have them then they have to meet a certain standard.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:40 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if they are fitted, they need to work and fit certain size and position criteria.

I had feeling that they have to be fitted to the bike if the bike had them when manufactured, unless it has a daytime MOT.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 12:44 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive that indicators have to be a distance of 30cm apart from each other.

I own a RS50, i have a race pipe on order and many of my mates have 'not for road use' exhausts, i only know of one or two that have been pulled and even then, he didnt say anything about the exhaust. So i reckon you could get away with that one.

My tips on a 50 are:
1. Leave the numberplate standard
2. Always have both L's on
3. Dont drive like a pr**k through town (as people will start to complain about the noise as well, then the police will start to watch out for you)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 13:43 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my bad about the indicators, I just assumed since they're not legally needed I didn't think there'd be criteria for them whilst they are fitted.

Gaz

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, the positioning of lights (certainly in cars) is one of the most heavily regulated things in the EEC. Emissions are obviously hugely regulated too.

(Correct me if I'm wrong though.)

Scratchy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:27 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rieju.rs1.evolution wrote:
im in the south reading, any opinions on the cops in reading?

I've heard they're all really good-looking

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the visor has 'For daylight use only' on it, then that's what it's for. Legal ones carry the BS kite mark from what I have seen.

27yo kid
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:27 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: gotta agree bout the lights Reply with quote

fraid I have to agree on the lights, although I beleive it will be more a case of the lumens rather than the size of the light itself.
(if fitted of course!)
as for visors..... sunglasses?

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pulled over by a 5x7 number plate and the peeler didn't even mention it. I think as long as it's in proportion with your bike you will be alright, and I doubt they would soley pull you in for the number plate.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:30 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchips wrote:
I doubt they would soley pull you in for the number plate.

I reckon it is probably one of the most common reason for someone being stopped by the police, Phoenix has been stopped for small plates 3 times and at the Lord Derby bike meet they pull lots of people just for their plate. If you've got other illegalness then attracting attention to yourself with a small plate probably isn't a good idea.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2