Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The obligatory first bike thread...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RaIo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:40 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: The obligatory first bike thread... Reply with quote

As the title says, the obligatory what first bike post.

Before anyone goes off and pops a vein, I have read the FAQs and Guides on this and many other sites, including a fair bit of research on the internet, but even so, I still don’t know if this is a good bike.

I’d like to get a Suzuki GS 500F as a first ever bike. I am 19 right now, probably will get it early January of 2005, looking for a brand new one. I will have to restrict it to 33 bhp – yes, I intend to get the full license; A2 is it?

So why a 500? Well, initially I was looking at the Aprilia RS125 or Cagiva Mito 125, then at the RS 250 – which turns out doesn’t like being restricted, so the next step was the 500. The only good looking one happens to be the GS 500F.

Are they a good deal for a first ever bike? After all they use 500s to train people, right? At any rate, I will be keeping it for a few years I reckon, 4 or so. Have it derestricted once I turn 21.

So I am wondering if it is a good thing to do, not having any experience with bikes, I cannot make a solid decision yet.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:45 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: The obligatory first bike thread... Reply with quote

Might be worth considering the other 500 commuter style bikes, what is it that makes you want the GS over all the others?

Also, what are you planning on using the bike for?

RaIo wrote:
I will be keeping it for a few years I reckon, 4 or so. Have it derestricted once I turn 21.

Ah. Nearly everyone says that when they get their first bike and it doesn't happen as you will more than likely be wanting to get something which is more interesting to ride than a commuter 500, so it's not a good reason to justify to yourself why you're getting an expensive first bike.

It really would be worth looking at getting a second hand bike rather than buying new as bikes depreciate a fair bit as soon as they get taken out of the showroom and used a bit so it would be much cheaper to buy secondhand where someone elses wallet has had to take the deprication costs.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:48 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: The obligatory first bike thread... Reply with quote

Good choice of bike Thumbs Up.

There are other 500s which are similar, for instance the GPZ, ER and CB. All make good first bikes.

Personally I wouldn't go with a new bike.
You say you want to keep it for a few years. A lot of us, including me, have said, for a lot of people (not only me Smile ) that didn't happen at all.

What started of as a means to get from A to B turned into a hobby / serious passion. Whatever, most people do want to move up bikes.

Even if you plan to keep it, if you get a bike fairly new bike, if you're going to be keeping it for quite a while, it just means that when you buy your 2nd hand bike, it will be at the same state as your new bike when you've had it for a year.

You can easily save £1000+ and get a nearly new bike (you probably lose £500 the minute you push the bike out of the show room!), or even more and go for an older bike.
Insurance will also be cheaper, even TPO and you won't be so worried if you drop it or crash.

RaIo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:51 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: The obligatory first bike thread... Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Might be worth considering the other 500 commuter style bikes, what is it that makes you want the GS over all the others?

It just looks so cool! For a 500 anyway.

Ste wrote:
Also, what are you planning on using the bike for?

Argh, I knew I forgot to add something there - you're right, I will be mainly using it for going to work (part time) and for going to Uni.

As I live in London and Ken's congestion charge pretty much rules out anything other than a bike.

As I said, the GS500F wasn't my first choice, but eh...

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having owned a number of 500's, I think you have made a good choice on deciding for a 500.

Though the GS500F isn't the best, at £3649 new it isn't cheap either.
Remember this being your first "proper" bike you are likely to drop it. You may say you won't be we all do.

You'd be better off in my opinion to get a cheaper GS500E with a full fairing, or the better GPZ500S theres plenty about.

I say the better GPZ, as its more powerful (when derestricted), handles better, looks better.

You could also consider a CB500S, another decent little 500 with a half fairing.

You can also read my 500cc FAQ I recently compiled here https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=30880 , if you have any questions you can PM me etc.

https://www.motobykz.co.uk/Kawasaki/gpz500s.jpg

Hope that Helps, Craig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

allweatherbik...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the GS500E (restriction was included the price) that I have is the best choice available but I bought it because it was the cheapest of the new 500's available. I've dropped it twice with only a broken clutch lever and minor cosmetic damage occurring. Being new to biking I bought new because of the 2 year warranty, that means I can concentrate on riding the bike and can learn how to maintain it later
cheers
Ian

RaIo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:37 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigZZR wrote:
Though the GS500F isn't the best, at £3649 new it isn't cheap either.

Any reason you say this? Or just word of mouth stuff? In my opinion it sounds pretty good, and doesn't look half bad. It's hard to tell how the riding position, handling, braking and such are without actually having been on the bike myself - or if it'sa good fit since I'm just 1.72 meters and about 62 kg. Very Happy

CraigZZR wrote:
You'd be better off in my opinion to get a cheaper GS500E with a full fairing, or the better GPZ500S theres plenty about.

I say the better GPZ, as its more powerful (when derestricted), handles better, looks better.

I'll be honest, I didn't know a GS500E* existed so I'll take a loot at one, but the GPZ500S - I don't think so. I just don't like the look of it at all, reminds me of the new Kawasaki 250 and 500; which to me are ugly as hell. Also, it's not that it just reminds me of them, it also looks ugly itself.

I'd like a bike I can be proud of to look at too, even though it doesn't corner as good and so on. It's not like I'll be racing around central London, let's be honest. I'm not sure I'll take it past 30 MPH for the first few months anyway. I like to live, thank you very much. Very Happy

CraigZZR wrote:
You could also consider a CB500S, another decent little 500 with a half fairing.

I don't like these half-naked or naked bikes really. Something just puts me off them. Not sure what, but it does. Each to their own I guess.

CraigZZR wrote:
You can also read my 500cc FAQ I recently compiled here https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=30880

Read that. Smile

Thanks for the time.

Edit: *Oh, the GS500E is what they call the GS500 on the Suzuki sites - it's one guly bike, since it doesn't have any fairings. Very Happy

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPZ 600 Thumbs Up
https://www.freeweb.hu/agrobikers/gpz2a.jpg

Much nicer than the GPX 600 (even with 10 hp down Very Happy ), and a lot nicer than the GPZ500.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaIo wrote:

Edit: *Oh, the GS500E is what they call the GS500 on the Suzuki sites - it's one guly bike, since it doesn't have any fairings. Very Happy

No fairings = Nothing to replace when you drop it Wink

I just bought an er5, cheap as feckin chips, about a third of the cost of the gs500f with only 10k on it. I did consider the gs500f once, but just thought it was too expensive. I'd rather have the gpz500, and its amazing powerband at 7000RPM.....Very Happy

If you've got the money to buy one and the insurance, go for it. Nice looking bikes, they won't fail you, thats for sure

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the GS500F is all looks and no go.

I owned a GS500E before I owned the GPZ, and this is what bike the GS500F is underneath.

They are quite lacking in power, and have awfully flimsy handling about 70MPH. They are also really boring to ride having a really linear powerband, the brakes also leave something do be desired.

I suggest the GPZ, as it actually has some charm and character. And also a really nice powerband, it also stops well and handles really well too.

Just don't go for a bike on its looks especially when the bike in question is a GS500.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1