BCF: Bike Chat Forums

zxr400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

young_on_old
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 18 Mar 2002    Post subject: zxr400 Reply with quote

hey, im gonna do my full test soon and at the end of summer, and some hard working to get the money, i was thinking of gettin a zxr400.
what are they like and is this a good idea, cause i really wanna get a bigger bike, yea i love my nsr but its just gettin tedious seeing all these bastards on gixers and cbr's an shit.

any info an shit would b helpfull

oh and im bout 5ft 10, will it be a nice fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 18 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

the zxr is a bit scatty in corners and doesnt react very well on bumpy roads, its fairly big for a 400, a vrf or rvf would be better, better performance and handeling and better build quality. Kawasakis rust and corode quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 18 Mar 2002    Post subject: zxr4 Reply with quote

Retroflys right there not the best round corners thats what put me off the zxr. Insurance was always an issue for me so i was limited to what bikes i COULD have. The insurance was too much higher on a SV so i decided to go for that instead, as every write up i seen on it had said it was a good learners bike and good handling
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 18:57 - 18 Mar 2002    Post subject: oi :oP Reply with quote

why u all giving it about my bike round corners Smile .. have any of you ridden one? Razz

i think the handling is spot on round corners, although, the first time i go around a bend, i go slower just to make sure theres no bumps, then any other times i go round it i cane it Very Happy ... i rekon the bike would be nicer with a steering damper, but generally have no complaints at all Smile
its down to you, but i prefer the zxr to the rvf, vfr, cbr and gsxr (400's not the big bikes Smile )

at 5'10" u should fit on the bike fine, as retrofly said it is a big 400, and its definitly bigger than korns rvf.

oh, and if you want to keep the rust off just keep the bike covered up Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:59 - 18 Mar 2002    Post subject: zxr400 Reply with quote

young_on_old wrote:

hey, im gonna do my full test soon and at the end of summer, and some hard working to get the money, i was thinking of gettin a zxr400.
what are they like and is this a good idea, cause i really wanna get a bigger bike, yea i love my nsr but its just gettin tedious seeing all these bastards on gixers and cbr's an shit.

any info an shit would b helpfull

oh and im bout 5ft 10, will it be a nice fit?

Hi

Rode one years back. Went OK (and far better than I expected at low revs, as everyone tells you they are gutless at low revs). Suspension is rock hard, but that can be sorted. Finish seems good (the Kwack with the dodgy finish is the GPZ500S), and looking round the 2nd hand import dealers it is far easier to find a good condition ZXR than a CBR400, or even VFR.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevo

PostPosted: 23:00 - 18 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for sports 400's id say that the Kwak is a good choice, (biased)?
Actually my fave all time 400 for its looks, bottom end power and handling is the FZR400, but again these need alot of care, just as much/more as the kawasaki if you want to keep the finish decent. Id secondly say RVF400 NC35 as its gorgeous and the quality is excellent, but its bloody expensive for a 400, and quite small physically. The gear driven cams and V4 layout make it sound wicked! Definately the rich mans 400. As for the ZXR well apart from some dodgy graphics, its supposed to be pretty good, and exciting to ride as it most definately has the usual kawasaki trademark, A mental top end rush! Have heard of them clocking 140mph which is amazing for a 400!
You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 01:25 - 19 Mar 2002    Post subject: i had... Reply with quote

145mph down the m3 with the wind behind me Smile
i mean down the straight on a track Wink
seriously tho... its not too gutless below 10k, although korn thinks so.. but hes got a v4 so ... Smile
i actually prefer the sound of my bike to korns.. weve got the same cans, so you can really hear the difference between them Smile although korns does "gurgle"? more under engine braking, which is a nice sound.. mine is definitly a lot louder, could be cos of the twin exhaust outlet port? anyways, both bikes are really nice but, i would still go for the zxr Smile
(biased)? Very Happy

young_on_old
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 19 Mar 2002    Post subject: yea Reply with quote

as far as the handeling, ive already got a steering damper, got it last year for someone, but they ended up selling there bike, so ill fit that, also there is the avalibility and money so i think itll have to be a zxr400, but im not too big on the purpleon it, i think i might get it resprayed

cheers forall the comments

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 03:12 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for a ...drummroll please... honda v4. Didn't expect that did you? Laughing

VFR NC30:

• Great motor, top bollocks low/midrange
  • Most of the engine is practically indistructable
  • Wicked handling, for a 10+ year old bike
  • Loads of them about so not that expensive
  • First gear isn't as tall as the rvf so better in traffic

I only rode one for a few minutes before testing the rvf but they felt like the same bike, worth going for if you don't need all the uprated bits on the nc35.

RVF NC35:

• Practically the same top bollocks motor as the vfr
  • Best handling in the class
  • Top end power delivery isn't that great, although...
  • ...it shares the highest power output with the vfr
  • Gorgous RC45 replica styling
  • It'll eat anything else 'round the bends
  • Rarer than the vfr and very expensive to buy/maintain
  • Close ratio gear box, so don't even think about...
  • ...riding it in traffic, top of 1st gear is just over 60mph

My bike, so of course I'm biased - but I really believe it's the best you can buy, it corners spot on and gives you loads of feedback everywhere. As for power, it's got the top spot as regards bhp and torque figures, but it's 5mph behind the zxr on top speed. The power band is stupidly wide so you can really get an edge when exiting corners, and it pulls like a train right from the bottom of the counter. They cost a lot to keep serviced though, being imports. Only thing I'd change is to have it tuned to smooth out the top 1000rpm or so, I used to think it needed a steering damper but I've learned to trust the feedback.

ZXR:

• Smoothest top end, you can just keep bouncing it off the limiter
  • Feels gutless when you're not above 10k after being used to the v4
  • Sounds very nice, apart from the last 1/4 of the rev range
  • Doesn't go round corners too well (as Zim will tell you Razz)
  • Engine braking? What's all that malarkey about then?
  • It's got a bigger rear tyre than it needs and this messes with the handling

Zim's got one of these and to be honest it doesn't corner. He's happy with it but it's a good 10/15mph slower through the bends the rvf/vfr, it's lighter than both of them but the width of it (it's fucking huge) and the oversized rear wheel mean it's not as flickable. Having said that it's got the smoothest top end power, when I rode it I was bouncing off the rev limiter all the time because I'd been used to the feedback vibes the v4 provides. No real low end/midrange to speak of, so if you're not in the power band you're not going anywhere very fast - but it is the quickest in a straight line once it gets going or if you're willing to sacrifice the clutch for a quicker start. Excellent brakes too but the handling spoils it.

Bottom line:
VFR: If you're on a budget and want the most bang for your buck.
ZXR: For very fast, straight roads where you can use the top end.
RVF: If you've got the money to buy/service it - best 400 going.

young_on_old
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: k Reply with quote

this has opened up a new debate, butg then again its all up to the money, and avalability when i have the money
so its either a vfr or a zxr
dam decisions

young_on_old
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive talked to a few poeple and seen stats and review's, and its the vfr400 nc30, mos def

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 15:34 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the dark side Wink

air
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:13 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

Me thinking about an nsr250 ( considering you can buy 'em pretty cheap in england compared with here -- 6 grand over here )
More acceleration than the 400's , not the best top speed, in or around the same bhp.
And alot better in corners...... only problem being the 2 stroke-ness of it.

I'll see what happens when i turn 23 and can afford insurance on either, then i'll decide which one.

young_on_old
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot on handeling, nice engine, lovley sound, loox i like, and no purple like the zxr, so, its training, full test, fail, full test, pass, find bike, buy bike, kick the arse of all the barrys that take the piss cause of the sound and top speed of my nsr and piss on the bigger bikers who show no respect by nodding
got my checklist

young_on_old
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya cant go wrong with a honda Smile

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 16:43 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: :o( Reply with quote

bitter bitter defeat.... oh well Smile
dont blame me when u decide maybe u shoulda got the zxr Razz
hehehehhe.
have fun on ur new bike! Very Happy

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 23:56 - 20 Mar 2002    Post subject: NC30 rulz Reply with quote

Now I like what you write korn. Everything seems to be exactly what I read on every 400 review page I read. (and I read a lot of reviews on the net). Rolling Eyes
I would love to own the RVF400 NC35 but as you said they are a bit expensive, so I went for the VFR400 NC30, and you know what- its bloody lovely. Very Happy

Only downside is that I have to wait till my full test before I can ride it on the roads. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 21:40 - 21 Mar 2002    Post subject: stolen words Reply with quote

Just pinched this off a RVF/VFR forum:

Quote:
I note that someone has already posted a summary of the Performance
Bikes article from their November '97 edition.

RiDE magazine ran a "Rough Guide" to Honda 400 V4s two years ago. Their
top two were the VFR400 (NC30) and the RFV400 (NC35), but they gave the
edge to the NC30 - most likely because of the price advantage.

This is what they wrote about the two bikes:

VFR400R (NC30)
1988-1992
56bhp/129mph
44mpg
170kg
#3295-#4100
Telltale signs: thick beam frame, silencer on left, fat tyres
Wow. It looks like a mini RC30 because it is one. Beam aluminium
frame, silencer on the left, 17in front wheel, giant tyres, floating
discs, 4-pot calipers, two radiators, close ratio gearbox, preload
adjustable forks, adjustable rear damping.
[They then compared it to the 1987-1989 NC24]: suspension, tyres and
steering are infinitely better. The slight power increase over the NC24
is deceptive; the motor's livelier and (once derestricted with a #70 rev
booster) can even hit 140mph.
VERDICT Light, powerful, free-revving, with near perfect braking,
steering and cornering and bags of character. A true classic - *the*
one to go for.

[Note: I rode an NC30 at a track school once. My main recollection is
that it was too small for me. I am a skinny 6ft with a 34in inseam. My
elbows and knees were all over the place.]

RVF400 (NC35)
>From 1994
59bhp/136mph
40mpg
165kg
Telltale signs: upside-down forks with rebound damping adjusters, high
price tag.
Same frame, swing arm, exhaust, gearbox, wheels and tank as NC30. New
bodywork [from their pictures the main part of the fairing is the same,
but with different graphics; the front fender and seat unit are
different], upside-down forks, adjustable rebound damping, lighter
internals, higher compression, no fuel injection. Carburation is
brilliant - it goes like a 550. Restrictor easy to bypass, stunning
build quality, flex-free forks improve braking and turning. No pillion
seat. [According to their pictures the RVF has pillion pad on the seat
hump, same as the NC30. Go figure.]
VERDICT Best 400 yet, but not worth it when NC30 is so good.

mike

PostPosted: 18:01 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: rvf servicing Reply with quote

how much is the servicing on an rvf400, will it be cheaper than servicing my aprilia rs125( considersing i spent nearly £250 on a 5000km service).I have read on some site that its easy to service the minor jobs but the majors services i am not to sure
You must be logged in to rate posts
Springbok_Tony This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 7 days between these two posts...

wat_400??
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:39 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Very Happy right i'm only 16 :E but i'm intending on getting a 400, urrm i entered a few other forums but i think this one is the best, as you all sound like you know wat you are talking about, i'm 6ft and i reckon i wont grow much more, 6ft 1 maybe. i love the ZXR as it looks the nuts, but so many peeps have said its the best 400 for price etc, but wont be suited for a taller rider!!!! also i'm on a budget! i like the mini blade aswell! well i like most sport 400's which one/s do you reckon would be most suited for a 17 year old (i also have to think about the insurance and it being restricted to 33BHP :'( ) also i have been looking at the RS 250 Very Happy please help Byrneey@hotmail.com is me email Very Happy

Last edited by wat_400?? on 18:18 - 08 Apr 2004; edited 1 time in total

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:14 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, sorry

Scatty in corners?

dont corner well?

youve obviously only ever ridden a fucked ZXR then.

ZXR is one of the best handling bikes I've ridden (I have ridden a few....) and a lot of other people do agree, it's got a great front end and leans so easily.

Don't believe what the others tell you! I rode one all summer last year and it was great.

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:18 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!! Shocked , My old screen name, wow, aint seen that in ages
oh and i ended up getting and still have a very lovely vfr 400.
why was this dug up anyway?
someone has been searching through the archives again, havent they

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:29 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF I didn't even notice it was an old thread! lol Laughing

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post dug up after 2 years? I half expected cob webs on it.

Havn't they stopped knocking out the ZXR400?

If i was going for a 400ish bike i'd fancy one of them new Aprilias.

But seeing as its got RSV in the name it will probably be Really expenSiVe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2