04 cg125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: 04 cg125 Reply with quote

hi guys,
ok ive recenly come off my nsr and wrote it off. after considering a car i decided to carry on bikeing but take a more gentle aproach so ive just orders a brand spanking new cg125, i like the look of the bike and ive heard the handling is great for what it is. thing is one of my mates told me it only goes 50mph flat out!!! i was hoping for a t least 60. deos anyone have one or anyone who has ridden one knows what it is and also what id the accelleration like?
ive heard its better than any other cg's and they arnt bad sooo.
cheers guys.
sam Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

not true mate

did my training on one

will do 65-70 at a push

plenty fast enough for commuting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:47 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 50cc scooter is quick enough for comuting. Never been on a CG, but should be quick enough, depending on where you work, and how far.

My GZ is quick enough for me atm, but, its getting incredably dull doing over 20 miles either way on it though!

Prey tell, ts50x0 how did you write off your NSR?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:51 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

managed to hit the power band at full throttle in 2nd gear coming out of a wet bend!!!!! Embarassed
an amature mistake!!!
well im happy with 65mph. iim on a moped at the minute so it will fell like a rocket. wat is the accelleration like?
oh and it only a 1 mile commute i want this biuke for the fun and to go on occational 150mile trips(which is why i got this bike mainly as i know it will be reliable no matter how much i use and abuse it).

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:14 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, bet that ruined your day! Mad Did you walk away, or did it require blue lights, and a trip to the local A+E?

Well, fire a mortor directly at a CG all you'll have to replace is an indicator lens and a mirror. They're built like a tank. Go over an anti tank mine, and, knacker it and they are old enough (25 this year?) for knackers yards to have decent spare parts.

1 mile commute, walk it! Razz But, a CG might not be the best thing to do a 150 mile trup on, but, I cant really comment as Ive only ridden a couple of 125's, and a CG wasnt one of them.

If you want an armchair try a GZ, especilly if youve got a bigger arse like me! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:20 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive already bought 1 dude. all i want is something that will keep up with traffic on all but motorways and have enough pull to get away from the lights. and the main thing is that it will start and go all day everyday untill i sell it 1 or 2 years down the line.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:21 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

New or second hand-what year?

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:23 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, Ill put my glasses back on now! Wink

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:25 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

new

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

The older, well, the cg125's before the 2004 revamp could just about hit 70mph, so I'd imagine 60mph will be relatively easy enough, with an actual top speed of 65 possible.

Its kind of the same as the sr in my opinion, the acceleration isnt all that bad, you can rev the tits off the thing, all the way up to 50mph, where the acceleration slows right down. Still, that doesn't really matter if you're mostly doing 1 mile trips. Revving the little ebasts to make progress is good fun Smile

Good luck with it, whatever your decision Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:47 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a new style one?... ie recentish styling, round headlight etc?

Or a 4 geared older style one (bargain price though) with a square headlight and various bit of chrome? These are unofficially imported from some eastern country.

The imported ones have a slower top speed and are generally considered to not be as good.

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a brand new one mate

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:04 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older style ones are being sold brand new as new bikes.

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:44 - 06 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its the brand new model

ian_s
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 07 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, hope you are happy with it. From memory I think they are good for 65-70mph. I was going to get one but part of my commute involves an uphill dual carriageway so I got something a little less sensible.

I much prefer the new shape.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:22 - 07 Nov 2004    Post subject: Re: 04 cg125 Reply with quote

Should be like that:https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/en/picture/product/CG125/Color/prd_bike_blue.gif

They haven't changed the engine in the UK model significantly for a long time as far as I know. Mine, which was from the early 90s I think, did 65 on the straight and 70 with a bit of a down hill.

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:28 - 07 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright mate, i've got an old school CG, the 1985 CG125BRE to be precise. They are good little commuter bikes, i've clocked just over 1,000 miles in just 2 months and in that time ive only had to change the oil once. They start first time every time, are very reliable, and run on pence.

It costs me £7.51 to fill up and that lasts two weeks or roughly 200 miles, whichever comes first. I used to be able to do just under 70 before my crash but now it just makes 64 on a flat road, flat out!

They are bullet proof, like i said i got knocked off mine and it only cost about £10 of welding a tin can and some insulator/duck tape to fix (bodge job tho)

So i recommend the CG125s, great little bike, cheap and cheerful, and then when you get bord you can always start practicing wheelies on it Very Happy

Good luck with it.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:57 - 07 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont all new 125s have to do 60 at least? or is that you must be able to go 60 on the bike you use for your test? or am i talking crap again?
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:09 - 07 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your test the bike has to be able to do 100km/p (62.5mph), which pretty much all 125's are capable of.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:56 - 07 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GZ will do that, just without my significant body on it! Laughing

Bagpuss
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most training schools use them because they are cheap, unbreakable and easy to ride. Inoffensive but very dull; you'll be bored within a couple of days and you'll have to ring its neck to get to the national speed limit. I presume you haven't passed your test yet?

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 18:00 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a 01cg, will do 65 easy, at push 70, very reliable, very cheap, really good!

allweatherbik...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have an 03 CG125, max. 65MPH on the flat with no headwind. 45MPH uphill into a strong headwind. Average MPG was 110. Once had a problem with the chrome flaking off the exhaust. I took back to the dealer and they ordered and fitted a replacement without any problem.
Thumbs Up
Ian
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1