Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BEST 250cc bike out there

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jonolim
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:07 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: BEST 250cc bike out there Reply with quote

Right now, This year, this month, which is the best 250cc motorcycle out there for your money?

Honda CBR 250 RR?
Aprilia RS 250?
Suzuki RGV 250?
Other?

For $10,000 what is the best 250cc sports bike out there?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot the nsr250....

RS250 - V.Quick two stroke screamer, have heard they aren't as unreliable as the 125 version
RGV250 - My favourite, they're as cheap as chips but they're also old and you mainly get parts off ebay or breakers. V.Similar engine to the rs250
CBR250 - 4 stroke, I've got bugger all knowledge on that one except it'll be slower than the 3 previous ones.

I'd pick the RGV, just not for practicality and not for reliability

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:24 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want it for? Commuting? Fast road riding? Learning to ride a bike?

jonolim
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:36 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna get my licence in 2 days, got some money to buy a bike and have been waiting for 3 years to do so, so i wanna spend on a good set of wheels which can last me at least 5-8 years.

i think 250cc will be enough for me, cos i m a small fellow and 600cc bikes are too bg fer me, makes me look tiny.... yea...

that is y i came here, to ask the experts of the would~!~!~! Very Happy

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:56 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbr250 anyday. i just love 20,000 rpm.
it may be slower than the 2 strokes, but 20k! lovely Very Happy

sychosis
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:55 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you look into getting a 400 instead?
psy?cho?sis (si-ko-sis),n. pl. psy?cho?ses (-sez) ,A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your planning to keep it that long then avoid 2 strokes like the plague! Ive got an RGV250, and allthough its great fun, handles great and fast as hell, i wouldnt want it to be my only bike for that long.
If you do buy an RGV spend no more then $2,000 - $3,000 on it and keep it for a short period of time.

out of allt he bikes i'd say the RGV is the easiest to keep going (parts are very easy to come by), the RS is the better bike, but the CBR is the better all rounder and every day bike.

As allready said why not try a 400, thos things are about the same size as a 250 and are alot more useable everyday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonolim
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:12 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.. i cant ride a 400 till at least march 2006, so i will be stick with a 250 for a long time.

I hear more CBR's than any other.
They are easier to maintain and keep, plus looks ok.

Is the NSR better? It is a newer model honda.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 08 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe NSR250s are very very hard to find.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No NSR250's are easy as hell to find. finding one that isnt on the verge of exploding is the tricky thing Wink

NSR250
TZR250
RS250
RGV250

are all roadgoing versions of 2 stroke 250GP bikes, hence they are fast as fuck, drink fuel and oil like its going out of fasion, require allmost constant maintanence and setting up and are useless for every day use.

The CBR250RR cannot be compaired to the above as it is a 4 stroke bike.

CBR250
ZZR250
ZXR250

Are all 4 stroke sportsbikes. these are better on fuel and oil and are far more reliabile and usage, of course at the sacrifice of some speed.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:43 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy quoted dollars as his price... $10,000 US is about £7.5K!

Plus... two strokes are illegal in the US...

I'm guessing you are Australian.

In which case all the 250's mentioned would be easy to find.

As for any of them lasting you 5-8 years! Laughing

You'll be bored within a year. Trust me. Smile

Last edited by MarJay on 21:11 - 16 Dec 2004; edited 1 time in total

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 strokes are most DEFINATLY NOT illegal in the US!

2 strokes are illegal in california, but legal everywhere else

jonolim
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:57 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy wow do u people know everything~!??

this narrows my search for te best bike for my money now.

yes i m an aussie, so $10,000 is about $7,000 pounds. i think.... hehehe

do u think they are going to come out with a newer CBR250 model like the rest of the fireblades?

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:09 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
No NSR250's are easy as hell to find. finding one that isnt on the verge of exploding is the tricky thing Wink

NSR250
TZR250
RS250
RGV250

are all roadgoing versions of 2 stroke 250GP bikes, hence they are fast as fuck, drink fuel and oil like its going out of fasion, require allmost constant maintanence and setting up and are useless for every day use.

The CBR250RR cannot be compaired to the above as it is a 4 stroke bike.

CBR250
ZZR250
ZXR250

Are all 4 stroke sportsbikes. these are better on fuel and oil and are far more reliabile and usage, of course at the sacrifice of some speed.

I think the zzr250 is a sport tourer Confused. That's what it says on the site. Anyway, I have a zzr400, it's a nice bike, handles good, enough power for me, and is very comfortable. I got mine second hand for almost 1500$ Thumbs Up . I think you should go for a 400cc sports bike, you won't get bored as fast.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to the UK, OZ has a vast amount of 250's. They are as common there as our 125's here.

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:20 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a tzr250, took me 1 month to get bored and fed up with it. It was very expensive to run as it did 35mpg and had to fill it up with fully synthetic 2 stroke oil every weekend (£10 a bottle). The bike was also a nightmare to ride, not much power at the low revs so had to keep the revs up which is a nightmare in traffic.

I then sold it and now have a zzr600e, it's so much better.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mpg? IMPRESSIVE! Shocked

MY rgv currently get about 15mpg

STUNTMAN2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine in Merseyside UK told me he has put his RGV 250 for sale today for £600 it is mint condition, I forgot what year though.

If you want more details email me

Stuntman.2000@blueyonder.co.uk

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:45 - 09 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got spam yet? Wink

Frosty, if it only does 15mpg why keep it on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jonolim
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:12 - 10 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

STUNTMAN2000 Posted: 10 Nov 06:21 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A mate of mine in Merseyside UK told me he has put his RGV 250 for sale today for £600 it is mint condition, I forgot what year though.

If you want more details email me

thanks but i am from Australia buddy.

btw wats MPG?

In the end of the day, i think i will go for the CBR250RR
it seems to be the best in the market and all.
Does anyone know whether i should wait for a new CBR250RR model to come out they arent making them in 250's no more... The latest model is out from 1998. Should i wait or just go get one~

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:36 - 10 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles per galon Idea .

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:59 - 11 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MZ ETZ 250/251s are reliable and cheap 250s and will do 90mph, and cruise on the mway at 80. The handling of the 251 is exceptionally good.

Cheap insurance, good economy, will take the very cheapest 2t oil and mixes at 50:1 so its frugal on oil too.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 11 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi wrote:
Frosty, if it only does 15mpg why keep it on?

Because i don't cover many miles on it, its great fun and the thing was cheap as fuck because most people won't touch them due to the sky high running costs.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 13:28 - 11 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your after a two-stroke 250cc, consider the Kawaskai KR1-S. more reilable/faster than a RGV, and dam good brakes and are becoming classic two-strokes. only downside to them is they don,t handle as well as a RS250 or RGV250.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV

MissFickle
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 12 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the RGV but for years worth of riding i wouldnt go for any of those. I would go for a 400 i would get fed up with a 250 too soon.. especially if your using it every day? Just my opinion mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2