Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clutch lever switch?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 13 Nov 2004    Post subject: Clutch lever switch? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

There is a switch on my clutch lever assembly (Yamaha SZR660) which I removed to take off the clutch lever. The switch has two leads coming off it and disappearing into the bike somewhere.

Anyway I noticed the plastic bit of the switch which activates/deactivates when you operate the lever is actually broken so the switch wont be doing anything.

What does this switch do and how will it affect the bike if its broken?

Thanks

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:13 - 13 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a safety switch so you can't start the bike in gear - if the neutral light is out you need to hold the clutch in to complete the circuit so it'll fire up.

If it works ok now then forget it. If it won't start just short the two wires together - a Scotchlock will do the job.

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:00 - 14 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Probably a safety switch so you can't start the bike in gear - if the neutral light is out you need to hold the clutch in to complete the circuit so it'll fire up.

If it works ok now then forget it. If it won't start just short the two wires together - a Scotchlock will do the job.

It is a saftey switch so you can't start up in gear, most bikes have
them. It's not a good idea to remove it or disconnect it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:36 - 14 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a kill switch so you can't pull away with the stand down.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 14 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual the switch will prevent me from starting the bike if it is in gear, unless I pull in the clutch.

Luckily the way the switch works just means that I can start the bike either way, so its not important.

Thanks for the replies.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 16 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a diode somewhere on the bike 99% chance it will be near or with the main fuse, if you think its worth the effort any self respection electrical component store will have a replacement for it...

Its there for a pritty good reason so next time your in maplins or the like, 50p might save you absent mindedly launching the bike into a wall one cold winter morning Wink

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 16 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switches to stop you starting the bike without the clutch in, or in gear, or with the sidestand down? Confused Pish I say! Who needs them? If you're stupid enough to leave the bike in gear and have the clutch out whilst starting, then you deserve to hit the wall... Even if you get false neutrals, you should always check to make sure the bike is in neutral before I turn the ignition off the time before anyway...

So what if I've trundled 10-20 feet before I hear a 'clunk' as I've sometimes forgotten to put the sidestand up? It's a big strong piece of metal, I'm quite sure it can look after itself.. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:17 - 17 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant start mine in gear at all! you HAVEto have the clutch fully out cos the kick start goes through it, and if its in gear it moves when you kick it, simple. Kickstart systems are seriously under-rated IMO.

oh, and i dont have a side stand.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:15 - 17 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
Switches to stop you starting the bike without the clutch in, or in gear, or with the sidestand down? Confused Pish I say!

We never had any of them safety switches on our Tiger Cubs and C15's when I were a lad Wink

jonboy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
Switches to stop you starting the bike without the clutch in, or in gear, or with the sidestand down? Confused Pish I say! Who needs them? If you're stupid enough to leave the bike in gear and have the clutch out whilst starting, then you deserve to hit the wall...

Or hit the articulated lorry going past your junction because your engine stalled, there was a cue of traffic behind you pipping their horns because they think you were dawdling and they're late for work, and you got a bit flustered and forgot to pull in the clutch.

The other problem is if you don't short the wire, and have to do an emergency stop, and the bike stalls in top gear, it can be almost impossible to start the engine again if the gearbox is playing silly buggers and won't change down to neutral with the engine off.
I'd recommend fixing it, they're a good idea.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 18 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:

Or hit the articulated lorry going past your junction because your engine stalled, there was a cue of traffic behind you pipping their horns because they think you were dawdling and they're late for work, and you got a bit flustered and forgot to pull in the clutch.

Ah, I knew there must have been a proper reason for it... (Un)-fortunately, my bike won't do much in the way of starting in gear, the starter motor will just push the bike forward very slowly under great protest.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 18 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify,

The way the switch works, the bike will start in gear or not, clutch in or not.

So if Im in 5th gear I can still start either with the clutch in or with it out (ofcourse that would just stall again).

So the bike is fine as far as Im concerned, I always pull in the clutch when starting regardless (how the hell can you be sure its in neutral?)

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 19 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pushing it before starting, you'd know very quickly if it was in gear Very Happy

I'm not sure if it would come up on an mot or not? i doubt it... hey if your happy with it and you warn any buyers in the future (even if they should know better) then tis allreet.

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:01 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch and sidestand switchs Thumbs Down - the biggest causes of electrical problems going. They suffer badly from corrosion and are expensive to replace. I always bypass them, and I dont use them when I am wiring a bike from scratch.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1