Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fix bike ?.... or sell as is ?...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 11:32 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Fix bike ?.... or sell as is ?... Reply with quote

HI all....

If you don't know, I crashed my bike on Thursday morning...then passed my test Thursday afternoon Thumbs Up
dilemma....

I WAS intending to put my bike up for sale the very MINUTE I passed (she is a 2004 Honda CG125)...but she has a bit of damage now.

As I am fairly new to this game...I wanted your advice whether to patch her up...or sell as is ?...

The damage is MINOR..but I don't know if it will be worth my while.

Damage...
Arrow dented and scraped chrome trim on headlight;
Arrow scuffed left footpeg;
Arrow really scuffed clutch;
Arrow really scuffed left bar end;
Arrow scuffed and slightly dented front of the black instrument casing).

I am hoping to get about £1,400 for the bike...
shall I bother repairing minor scrapes like that ?
Any ideas of parts costs ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help...

Jo xx

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Re: Fix bike ?.... or sell as is ?... Reply with quote

JodieWodie wrote:

Arrow dented and scraped chrome trim on headlight;
Arrow scuffed left footpeg;
Arrow really scuffed clutch;
Arrow really scuffed left bar end;
Arrow scuffed and slightly dented front of the black instrument casing).

Trim on headlight - Maybe about £20
Scuffed footpeg - £10 at the most!!!!!
clutch - £5, get one from breakers or on ebay.
bar end - £5 get a new pair of bar ends for the cg, they don't have to be originals
Instrument casing - Probably a bit more expensive if you were to buy new from honda, again try ebay or breakers.

I'd leave the instrument casing and chrome trim myself, but scour ebay to see what parts go for. It could be worth it, moneywise Smile

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 14:35 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd wait until after winter then patch her up. It's not a good time to sell a bike, and since it is your first winter I think a CG would be a better option to get the hang of winter riding. You'd hate it if you fell off again, you'd hate it even more if you sold her patched up/as is then bought a new bike and fell off that.

Penny Coin Penny Coin

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Odie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1400 is a bit steep for a CG 125, even a good one.
I have some bar end weights you can have for nothing, got them for the trike but didnt suit it!
As for the bits you need, any decent bike breaker will have all of them in stock, shouldnt cost you more than £40 max.
I also think it might be a good idea to keep hold of it as a winter ride due to the fact that you might fall off again and it wont hurt your pocket as much as a newer bike would.
The time to sell it is from march on-wards.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 15:15 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sell a bike now, you'll get nothing for it.

I agree with shaggy, ride it through winter, the last thing a brand new rider wants to be doing is riding a big bike that is new to them on lovely british ice and rain.

You will drop it over winter probably, so just do the minimum of repairs, then fix all the broken bits after winter and sell it for the spring.

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 19:12 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odie wrote:
£1400 is a bit steep for a CG 125, even a good one.

It is only 4 months old...and was £2,000....
it was new-looking until Thursday Neutral

I bet someone will pay that for it.

I may wait until just before spring to sell then...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are much lower in winter, as soon as the weather picks up again it will be worth a fair bit more so if you can wait it's best to IMO, although if you're going to sell the CG and buy another bike buying a new bike will be cheaper as well. However, the CG125 is a good bike to use through winter, winter isn't a good time really to be making the step up to a big bike.

New bikes depreciate a huge amount the second it leaves the show room, you're unlikely to be able to sell it without making a big loss on it.

I'd sell it as it is, people aren't going to be bothered about a couple of small scuffs and marks on a CG125

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:53 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait til March / April / May next year before I'd sell a bike, I'd be in more of a chance of getting close to what I would want for a bike. CG's that are around 6 - 12 months old can fetch £1100 - £1650 at about that time of year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no harm in advertising it free in some places, if it sells for how much you want then excellent, if it doesn't then wait a few months.

But yeah, just don't get a big bike at this time of year. Buy it, yes, as they're cheap, but don't ride. even though I do. and I only passed my test a week ago. And I'm riding it every day

Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1