Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need help choosing my first bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:58 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Need help choosing my first bike Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I passed my 125 test about 2 months ago now but I've not yet got a proper bike! I currenly ride a 100cc Speedfight 2, and I have done for the past couple of years. It's a brilliant scooter but now I've had a taste of a gearbox I want more!

I don't want a 125 cos it's not gonna be much more powerful than my scooter. And I can't really afford the insurance on a 500-600cc bike. Any suggestions as to what my first bike should be?

I'm not gonna mention what I've been looking at yet, I'm gonna see if your answers agree with what I've been looking at.

Cheers for your help in advance, keep it shiny side up,

Rach
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:25 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an endless list of options you could go for. What's your top priority?

Type of bike?
Looks?
Performance?
Cost?
Insurance?

Try and be a little more specific, and you'll probably get more specific and helpful answers. Smile

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:44 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

askew wrote:

Type of bike?
Looks?
Performance?
Cost?
Insurance?

Type of bike - I would like suggestions, don't really want a full-faired bike at the moment though. And I can't see me riding a trailie as I'm a 5'6" girl, not tall enough.

Looks - looks are a personal thing really, one person may love the looks of the new ZX-6R and another may hate it. I have to like how it looks, but I can't say "I want it to look like a Bandit" cos then you'd tell me to go out and buy a Bandit.

Performance - I want it to go, stop, handle well on the bends, and have better acceleration than my scooter. Which is pretty much any bike on the market.

Cost - not really an issue, but around the £2000 mark second-hand I guess. Maybe a little more if the bike is worth it. And maybe up to £3500 brand new.

Insurance - well I've had quotes for a GS500 at about £500, bit pricey for me at the moment. Don't wanna be spending more than about £30 a month.

Anyone help me now?

Rach
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kirmit
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:17 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dot_Comm, wellcome to the forum.

How about a Honda CBF250. 20BHP, top speed 80ish. £3999 New.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:33 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about a Honda CB-1 400. They're dead cheap second hand (a grand or there abouts), easy to come by and built like brick crap houses. I hear that insurance on them is quite good. A mate of mine with 1 year NCB who's 18 is only paying 350 quid for it!. Here's a picture of one:

https://www.westcoast-salvage.com/Used_Parts/Post_85/Post_85_Parts_Honda/NV400_BROS.jpg

Hope this helps mate. Smile

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 16:02 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a picture of a NTV 400 (Bros). NOT a CB-1.

A picture of a CB-1 https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/040368/

Or look at CB 400 (Superfours). Similar to the CB-1 but look alot better IMO.

£500 seems reasonable for the insurance, assuming your young and have 1 yr's NCB. I reckon you could get it down though due to being a lady. Phone around. And it seems like Bandit/Hornet etc seems like an ideal bike.

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:11 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
That's a picture of a NTV 400 (Bros). NOT a CB-1.

Not disputing you at all, but what's the difference? Just pure curiousity Smile.

Full Bananas
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:23 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£500 seems a bit steep for a GS500. Is this fully comp? And how many quotes have you had? I insured my GPZ500S TPFT for about £300 last year, and I'd had my full license less than a year and only one year NCB, although maybe you live in a higher crime area.

For the price range you mention, I reckon any of the 500s would suit you well if you can just get the insurance down to acceptable levels.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:18 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE CB-1 has an in-line 4 engine taken from/similar too the Honda CBR400 Aero (maybe the NC-23, not sure). THe Honda Bros uses a 400cc V-twin (I think a sleeved down version of the 600/650version).
There are other differences such as the Bros has a beam frame and single sided swing-arm, the CB-1 uses a steel tube frame (is it cradle style? not sure. by that I mean up and over the bike, as opposed to around the sides).

Also the Bros makes no more than 33bhp, it just cant. That is it's power output (unless you tune it). Whereas I think the CB-1 probably makes 50 bhp in full power state.

Both as quick as each other, Bros probably better for stop/start work, and sounds better if like me you like V-twins Thumbs Up

Both are courierd alot. Exclamation

Some of that may well be wrong. But I think most is about right Thumbs Up

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all your suggestions guys, makes some very interesting reading as that's exactly what I was looking at Smile

I was considering the CBF250, but I'm afraid I'll get bored of it before my 2 years are up, and that's a lot of money to spend for a bike I won't keep that long. I think the price is £3399 though?

Then I was looking at the 400s cos there's one at the bottom of my road, a Bandit 400. I don't really like the looks of the Bros, the CB 400 is much nicer to look at IMO. An insurance quote for this is £400 or thereabouts, works out at just over £30 a month. I've been looking at this one, £2000, looks very clean. And they'll restrict it free for me if I want it. Nearly 14,000 miles though and it's 10 years old, is that really old for this sort of bike? Although it is a Honda, so I doubt anyone will be able to kill it tbh.

I'm getting all my quotes from https://www.bennetts.co.uk, if I buy the bike I'll shop around for a quote but this gives me an idea of what I'm looking at. And I have 2 years NCB from my scooter. Oh, and I'm 20 so insurance companies don't like me much anyway. From Bennetts I get a quote of £529.11 for a GS500, TPFT. Too much tbh, can't afford that, I'm a poor student Sad. Bananas, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? That could be why your insurance is cheaper than mine.

I would love a brand new CB400 but I have no idea if I can get one. I'm kinda surprised there's no market for them over here really, I expect a lot of women would be at home on a 400. Any idea if I can get a brand new import bike?

Cheers for helping me,

Rach

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:59 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I've just found my dream bike.....

I want one of these!

No idea where I can get one though, can anyone help me find one?

Rach

Rodger Wabbit
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:27 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, The SV is a good bike Very Happy But if i was you i would get the 650s. They are good on insurance and have a fair bit of poke. My SV is currently puttin out about 78bhp. And they dont cost that much to buy either. For about £2500 i dont see why you couldnt buy a 2nd hand one and get insured.

p.s here is a couple of pic's of mine

My Bike 1
My Bike 2

Full Bananas
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:30 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dot_Comm wrote:
I'm getting all my quotes from https://www.bennetts.co.uk, if I buy the bike I'll shop around for a quote but this gives me an idea of what I'm looking at. And I have 2 years NCB from my scooter. Oh, and I'm 20 so insurance companies don't like me much anyway. From Bennetts I get a quote of £529.11 for a GS500, TPFT. Too much tbh, can't afford that, I'm a poor student Sad. Bananas, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? That could be why your insurance is cheaper than mine.

When I got the GPZ insured last year I was only 23, and I'm a bloke so I'd be surprised if insurance companies favoured me over you. I recently renewed my insurance, so I got a lot of quotes and Bennetts and Norwich Union were about £100 more expensive than all the others (which were around the £200 mark). Might be worth just checking one or two other companies.

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:32 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you are, i would really suggest buying it from a dealership unless you're really in the know about bikes or have access to someone who is. Theres plenty of honest people out there but could put both you and your bank balance right off bikes if you got a stinker first time. And if you got dealerships near you its always best to get it local cause you know where to go in future for reference to it.. and they are more likely to give a better deal chopping it in if they 'know the bike'.

And ringing around for insurance helps alot on first bikes, even when you think you got a pretty good benchmark figure. Probably dont need me tellin you that but as i found it makes a HUGE difference.

TPFT for my CBR 600 (i am 17 btw) EVERYONE was saying '£1800-£2300' until i struck it lucky on my 32nd call as i was about to give up and got it down to £1130. Theres always one more place to call Smile (although different adverts refer you to th same call centre Confused )

Something i considered was that it could be worth spending a tad more now and making sure its still going and you still find it enjoyable and challenging after a few years. Like you said about fairing, dont want it now but that gunna stick?

And for 3399... get a CBR 600! hehe

*EDIT*

Norwich Union was atrocious quoting me for insurance.

3496 or something stupid like that for TPFT! Just a tip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodger Wabbit wrote:
Hi, The SV is a good bike Very Happy But if i was you i would get the 650s. They are good on insurance and have a fair bit of poke. My SV is currently puttin out about 78bhp. And they dont cost that much to buy either. For about £2500 i dont see why you couldnt buy a 2nd hand one and get insured.

p.s here is a couple of pic's of mine

My Bike 1
My Bike 2

You don't live in Bath do you? I swear I've seen that bike in Bath. Definitely one with a blue screen and fairing lowers. Anyway, an SV650S may have a fair bit of poke, but it'll only have 33bhp for me until October 2006. For a bike with 78bhp to begin with, that's a fair drop. How would that affect the bike?

Barker, you're 17 and have a CBR600? How the hell do you afford that?! (Rhetorical question, no need to answer). I don't want a full faired bike, not for commuting at least. When I'm employed then maybe I'll have a sportsbike for fun and a more comfortable bike for touring / commuting, but as this'll be my main transport I don't think a sportsbike is wise. Course, I could get a car now, and get a bike next year in my gap year, but where's the fun in that?

Rach

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:50 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennets are usually expensive, might be worth getting a few quotes before you rule these bikes out. I wouldn't go for TPFT on a bike under £1500-£2000 unless it's very cheap.

Most 400s will be a higher insurance group than the GS500. Infact, I think the GS is only slightly higher or the same group as an NSR125!
An SV400 may well be more expensive to insure than a SV650 because they are only available as an import.

It ends up that even if you claim, you still don't end up with any more in your back pockety often.

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the joys of RAF Pilot scholarships and rich (enough) parents Cool

*awaits the multitude of slaps*

Forget the car, think of the lowly car drivers in their stuffy cramped metal shells stuck in traffic while you're cruising along the midde of the road (Carefully Wink ) with fresh air in your lungs and a smile on your face.

As for how it'll handle i'll refer to my mate the dealer (we had 4 off him so far in a year.. so he knows us well enough hehe) who says

'Anyone else gets on it after being on a non restricted 600 they'll hate it, feel like a leashed monster. But you'll have no basis of comparison so for you it'll be amazing'

ANd makes sense really, once you take it off you'll realise you had castrated a stallion... but until then since its the first big bike you've been on so i think you'll find it great whatever.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:05 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barker-CBR 600 wrote:
Depends where you are, i would really suggest buying it from a dealership unless you're really in the know about bikes or have access to someone who is. Theres plenty of honest people out there but could put both you and your bank balance right off bikes if you got a stinker first time.

I have seen a /lot/ more 'stinkers' sold from dealers. There are some reputable dealers, but in my experience they are also usually a fair bit more expensive.

Private warranties from dealers often seem to offer great 'peace of mind' until you actually try to use them, when they tell you where to go.

I've seen a lot more dishonest dealers than private sellers and if dealer has bought a bike they won't know it's history 95% of the time.

Even if something does go wrong with the private bike, you've got £500-£2k+ in your back pocket to sort it out Smile.

Rodger Wabbit
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:10 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
You don't live in Bath do you? I swear I've seen that bike in Bath. Definitely one with a blue screen and fairing lowers.

No i dont live in bath and i really hope you havent seen my bike there cus if you have i wasnt riding it Sad *goes and checks his bike is still there*

The good thing about the sv is that the power is nice and smooth delivery, unlike other bikes where you get loads top end. I only pay £323 TPFT and this is also my first bike

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a CB400 (not the CB-1) is a great retro styled bike, and theyre very low to the ground Thumbs Up Here's a pic -->https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/092070/ Thats a very slightly modified one, but gives you an idea.

go check out https://www.400greybike.co.uk/ if your interested in the CB400. The people there will have all the information you need, including how to tune them and ive seen a mono-shock version with ZXR-400 USD forks on which looked great. Very Happy
Bandit 400's are good, but depending on what model you get parts apparently can be tricky to get hold of (on the grey import VVT model especially).
Most 400's are groups 9 (for things like Bros) upto group 14(for the sports 400's). A 500 will cost pretty much the same to insure.

Just phone around and you will get a good deal. And if necessary go TPFT (assuming your not already).

Think ive provided more questions than answers for you, whatever you do go and sit on the bikes. Whichever you feel most comfortable on/with (not necessarily literally, though that helps) is probably the one for you Thumbs Up

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:16 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quote for insurance from Bennetts for an SV650, and it was over £900! Will try a couple of other places, but I really can't afford that! There wasn't even an SV 400 on the list so I doubt I can even get hold of one in this country. Tis a shame as it looks fantastic Smile Might try a local importer.

I've been to sit on the CB400 that I showed you in my previous post, there was a Bandit 400, a Yam FJ 400 and a Honda CB 400, the CB definitely felt the best.

Cheers for your advice, but I still have no idea what to buy!

Rach

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 21:28 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and run your details through this, taking the info from the bikes you saw loacally. https://www.choicequote.co.uk/motorcycle/motorcycle-insurance-uk.asp
Whatever comes up for this knock about 20% off that price and it will be what you can realistically expect to pay Thumbs Up

The XJR 400 looks a great bike too. Thumbs Up

Good luck!

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 22:18 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go for something like a GPZ, sporty(ish), handles great, very economical and cheap to insure (group 8). I'm 21 and it cost me £253 TPFT. I'm quite short as well (about 5'7/8). Wish I hadn't have sold mine now (would been nicer to ride than the busa in this weather).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 01:15 - 23 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barker-CBR 600 wrote:
Ahh the joys of RAF Pilot scholarships and rich (enough) parents Cool

Slap, I'm thinking of giving the old OASC a go. I do have hayfever though, and they say that rules you out. Still be a great experience to try it.

I found bennetts to be very expensive on the scale of quotes, almost twice what I eventually paid.

SV650 is a nice bike, a nice learner bike I guess, if a little pretty/heartbreaking to drop. Not sure how well it'd take to the restriction..

Maybe a Ducati Monster 600? I'm going to assume you're female, they're quite low, and feminine, while being a lovely ducati, and they take to restriction quite readily.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 23 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:

Slap, I'm thinking of giving the old OASC a go. I do have hayfever though, and they say that rules you out. Still be a great experience to try it.

It certainly is a good experience, it included the first serious interview I ever had, I only produced a couple of stupid answers. The strangest thing was that despite the apparent length, a 45 minute interview flashes past, feeling more like about 10 minutes. Being able to get onto the second half is a minor achievement in itself, the rate of attrition after the interview stage is really quite sharp.

It's a very good idea to do it if you're planning to join the air force after you have done a degree, as there is absolutely nothing to lose if you would join with or without it. Having applied and gotten through the entire selection process but not been successful, I'm not sure what it has gained me in terms of anything to put on a CV.

It's fun, if nerve-wracking at times, and definately a good experience to recommend if you haven't been through any kind of intensive rigourous selection process before.

If you are going on one, I'd suggest a few tips.

0) Apply in plenty of time and make sure everything is sorted out long in advance.

1) Get as physically fit as possible. The bleep test for me was appalling, a combination of crap slippy trainers and just poor fitness.

2) Bone up on knowledge of the RAF, the planes, the deployments, bases, etc. This is the same as any job, you need to know what you are applying for. Also know what and why the trade you are applying for the bursary in does in a day to day capacity.

3) Get a thorough working knowledge of all current events, primarily politics (the question I remember was about what I would do to sort out the railways), though there are other issues, I think I might have been asked my opinions on smoking too. Nowadays it's more likely to be focussed on national security and terrorism etc.

4) Don't get worked up about it beforehand. I know it's difficult not to, but I spent the last six months of my A-levels worrying about a 3.5 day OASC selection. I'm sure my grades were affected in some way. The feeling when it's over is a bit odd, a bit like passing your test I suppose, all that pent up frustration and expectation and then it's just over.

5) Get down to your local recruitment office today! It's very possibly almost too late to be apply for this summer's selection though now.

As for ontopic, I would think you basically need to decide between something like a Bros 400/CB400, a VFR400/CBR400 or possibly but probably not a GPZ/CB/GS 500.

So either naked or faired. I'd shy away from a 250 2t as from what I can glean from other accounts, they're fragile. There are tonnes and tonnes of bikes to choose from, my suggestions are only really a very basic idea of the split as I see it.

Sports 400 or "commuter" 400? Smile 4 stroke sports 250s should be pretty close to 33bhp too. This GPX250 for example is 36.
https://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2002/Kawasaki/GPX250R/GPX250%203%20quarter_700p.JPG:drool:
https://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2002/Kawasaki/GPX250R/Default.htm
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2