Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fitting a temp guage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:43 - 23 Nov 2004    Post subject: Fitting a temp guage? Reply with quote

Can it be done to a bike that doesn't have one?

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:25 - 23 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be possible, when you buy a guage you should get a sender unit to go with it, this alters its internal resistance according to its surrounding temperature, ie coolant. The guage then works out the temp according to this and display it on the guage. Hardest bit will be where to mount the sender unit i would have thought-good idea is to fit the sender unit where the radiator plug is that you empty the coolant with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 21:46 - 23 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a new thermostat for my speedy. My thermomiter is set in my cylinder... And its broken. Crying or Very sad At the bloody gague end. The pin fell out and wouldnt go back in and work so i just glued the pin pn place on about half temp (normal) and left it. Laughing
But now im keeping my scoot. Ive got the summer to get through, and without a termostat, its gna be worrying. Shocked

Ben..,.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once fitted a digital thermostat to a bike that had no temperature guage fitted as standard and had to find a place to stick a ptc type sensor. After searching for available water holes I ended up cutting a short length out of the top hose to fit a stainless t-piece.
The two straight arms took the hoses and the third arm I brazed in a thermopocket the closest size to the sensor available then I just covered the sensor in heat transfer paste and shoved it in the pocket worked very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:23 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the thermostat can go anywhere between the engine and the radiator. (leaving the engine). LOL!, call me mr state the obvious but you cant put the thermostat after the radiator. Smile

Ben...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:32 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done, fairly easyly...

There a aftermarket thermostats that either fit as the drain plug in the radiator, or another odie once mentioned to me where the thermo-coupleing goes between the gaps in the rad hose (held down with jubile clips)

Somewhere like m&p or busters... anywhere you can get aftermarket bits...

Did you want a digital one or dosen't it matter?

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:40 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these little gadgets for loads of stuff, coolant temperature, radiator fan control, oil temperature, ambient, refrigeration and even my house heating will get one when it gets a new boiler.
Pretty accurate and 12vdc supply also, loads of sensor variations a great toy. Not to everybodys taste though.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:09 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh gadgets. How much and where from?

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 12:25 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee thats huge, Wink
I wouldnt want that on my scooter bars...
Im geting renthal bars, so Im after a small aftermarket fuel gague and a small after market thermostat. Ive already got a Speedo but I want to get a better quality because when it reaches 55 - 60 it just gets confused and stops...

Ben...

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:59 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shade large for some but with a bit of handy work with a soldering iron the front panel/display can be removed so it is only 15mm or so thick, the rest of the lump can be mounted inside a panel somewhere and joined up with a bit of thin multicore, that lump houses a relay for fan control or whatever you wish to control, could even wire it up to control the temperature of your heated pants this time of year!

I get mine from.... van stock, but I am sure your local domestic refrigeration repair man will be able to get one if you know the model number, basic one relay version about 50notes.

Also seen them on ebay at times, search for digital thermostats or manufactures name, eliwell, lae, dixell to name a few but ebay tends to come with no instructions, I would be happy to mail instruction if the need arises or help with model selection.

For more suitable guages?
https://www.gower-oaks.co.uk/
https://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/dualgauges.htm

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not even fussed for an actual thermostat. Just somthing to warn me. Like a Light! Very Happy
My scooter already has a thermostat built into the cylinder, and a wire coming from the thermomiter up to my handlebar display, But when I get renthal bars, I wont be having my old dash, Ill have a little speedo and a little fuel gague. Is it possible to wire an LED up to it, and somehow get somthing which will turn it on of the bike is gona overheat....

Ben...

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:48 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is achievable binge but junking the factory dash will cost and present a few problems, for new display devices i.e speedo, coolant temperature indicator, fuel, will more than likely require different sensors as to what the manufacturer uses and will quiet frankly be, an interesting and expensive experience Laughing

If you have shed loads of dosh I would love to help develop something Thumbs Up

Even fitting a temperature indicator light from scratch will be rather challenging, it will all be about the sensor and locating it somewhere suitable in the cooling system.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.divuk83.com/images/bike/dials.jpg

I have these on my dragster. Much better to have a temp guage than a light as lights tend to come on way to late and without warning. At least I can see when mine is starting to warm up.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 14:18 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

kool! Are you interested in selling your dragster? Wink

I think im just gona leave it to be honnest, I want to modify it but I really need to save up for my driving test...

Ben...

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to sell it at the moment. Maybe this time next year, but even then I doubt it. I will be getting a new bike next year, but I won't be selling the drag to fund it!

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1