Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Test question...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:00 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Test question... Reply with quote

Right, I am thinking of booking my theory test for my 17th Birthday (April) as I reckon I can probably do it already as I have the CDROM thingy and I keep getting either 34 or 35 in that and I reckon I can scrape pass the Hazard Perception with a bit more practise.

How long do you think I should wait before I take my A2 test? I want to take it before July as that is when summer really starts and I don't really want L plates on my bike. I already have a years road experience, on a moped mind, but I reckon I could probably go into the test and do pretty well.

What do you guys think? Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:03 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm tricky question, depends on how you find the 125 and generally when you feel confident.

I've known people do it a month after, i've known some not want to do it for a year after.

In my experiance i was ready for a test about 3-4 months after getting my 125, enough time to become completly complacent (i mean comfortable... Laughing ) on it and on the road.

Most people reckon (or so a DSA guy told me once) that you will need about 2000 miles before you are really used to a bike and all its quirks and oddities.

Dunno if that helps... if your a fast learner than go for it.

Remember the waiting list is only a few weeks long, so no real need to book now. Isnt like the stupid Car Test!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 17:30 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my practical test about 6 weeks after the theory.

I would say go for it as soon as you can.

Get a few lessons first though...you will have bad habits galore !! Wink

You need to get those lifesavers in !!

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:15 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I have tried not to forget my lifesavers from my CBT and so I do do them very regularly for the test.

I am very comfortable with my bike at the moment, the hardest stepping stone for me will be learning to use gears, but I am getting a few sessions training with them anyway.

I just don't want to be a learner forever. Laughing
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:22 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel that you are ready then you could go to a training school get some lessons done and then go for your test. Goose spent a year on his 50cc ped and then went and did some training and his test when he was 17 and didn't have problems.

I wouldn't leave your test until the start of summer, as there will be lots more demand for them then in winter/spring so the waiting lists will be daft. Also if you want to be off L plates by a certain time then do your test a bit before that, as you might pass first time but you might not, same goes for second time.

If you want to then I'd look into doing it straight away. Thumbs Up

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get on the phone to your local training schools.

If you find a good one, they will often give you a free or reduced-price assessment & tell you how much more work/lessons you need to be up to test standard.

Also, just in case, if you are going to have lessons try to find a school with a guaranteed pass scheme, then if you don't pass first time you will get more lessons free & just pay for your next test.

Like everyone else has said, go for it ASAP.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:45 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really annoying that my birthday is in April, right at the start of the bloody biking season! Twisted Evil

I will do it ASAP given I have a realistic chance of passing, I will get in contact with a very local authorised instructor to assess me. Smile

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:26 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i were you, i'd take both tests as quickly as possible. the hazard perception is easier than the practise ones, as lots of clips are staged, and now the weather is not as good as it was, you should be able to book one pretty soon. mine was 6 days after booking!
when the theory test is out of the way, just concentrate on preparation for the bike test. Wink

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:35 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fortunately I have tried not to forget my lifesavers from my CBT and so I do do them very regularly for the test.

Lifesavers arent only for the test, they can save your life and you should always do them as a normal part of riding!

As for time scales, then that depends on you. I took my theory in Feb, CBT in March and test in May. But thats just the way it worked out for me.

Good luck and keep using them lifesavers!

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:45 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given I had the option of DAS I went from having not ridden a motor bike to having a full license in 4 days. I did however have 10 years of being a driver to aid in my road awareness.

If you feel you have a good level of road awareness I guess your ready.

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:01 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Lifesavers arent only for the test, they can save your life and you should always do them as a normal part of riding!

Yup, they aint called lifesavers for a joke.

I did my first test a few weeks after my theory and failed because I wasnt ready. Waited till august to do it again partly out of having no money and partly for being lazy. Everyone is different though, you have a years experience so the only big change is gears, and that wont take long.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 4day course, after a month of riding around on L plates. I wasn't riding my bike a huge amount before the test, and I didn't do any specific practice in my own time.

If you're only thinking of having a few lessons, then the major sticking point will be how quickly you get used to the manual gearbox, and different riding position of a motorbike. If you find it hard, since you've had so long on a stepthrough, then you will not be able to concentrate so much on what your instructor teaches you, and would probably need more lessons then.

If you know all the stuff(eg lifesavers at roundabout etc), then I don't see why you would need to wait after turning 17. Surely the only thing you can do then that you can't now, is ride a 125. Bare in mind that if you book your test for too soon after the theory though, but mess up the theory, then you might end up being unable to do the test, and having lost your money.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1