BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT in 2 days

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:32 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: CBT in 2 days Reply with quote

I know ive been told many times that i dont need to practise because its for someone whos never even been on a bike ect ect, and i accept that.
But i cant help myself, when my mum goes to work i go on the drive and slightly into the turning point in our road because its a dead end. I can do figure of eights and U turns quite confidently. I can pull away fine with out jerking or anything like that, i can stop fine using my front brake, although a little sketchy on my back brake. I can change through the gears quickly and confidently, and have a full suit of textiles and helmet gloves ect ect. my bikes in full working order tax'd and m.o.t'd. I know pretty much all of the highway code signs and got 86% on a online demo driving test theory, which is a pass.

Is there anything else i can practise on my bike or do you think im pretty much set??

Also any ideas how to wear my leather gloves in as quickly as possible?

Knisis
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you go out on public roads? As you need to get your lifesavers Rolling Eyes and mirror checks Rolling Eyes right as well.

Kirk

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:46 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah life savers, im going to have to learn them on the day as i dont exactly know what to do and i dont have any junctions to pull away from. As i have not yet passed my cbt i might get caught by the police and banned or something stupid so im going to have to learn that on the day.

Thank you for the suggestions though i guess i could practise it when i pull away. could you tell me the kind of situation you have to do it in and you look over your right shoulder?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're gonna be perfectly fine m8, a lot of people do cbt's without any experience so you'll do great Very Happy

learning gears before you do it is much more advantageous

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 18:14 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be FINE !

You know how to pull away, steer the bike...this is great for beginning a CBT>

When I did mine I had never sat on a bike before.
It took me TWO HOURS to master pulling away without stalling...then another hour to grasp the biting point and changing gears.....
It was HORRIBLE.

You already know the fundemental basics.

You will be taught LS's on the day...this is what a CBT is for...to teach you the road sense basics.

Have fun !

Jo x

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

JodieWodie wrote:
You will be FINE !

When I did mine I had never sat on a bike before.
It took me TWO HOURS to master pulling away without stalling...then another hour to grasp the biting point and changing gears.....
It was HORRIBLE.

Now mine wasn't quite that bad, but I counted 11 times before I managed to not stall the first time. I still stalled for hours later though, and slow speed clutch control was dreadful. I'm out of practise at slow speed clutch control now, I find myself lacking in confidence to go round things really slowly without putting my feet down. Still, nothing could be as bad as almost crashing into the wall 3 feet away from my instructor whilst trying to brake with my feet. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 18:45 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww dear haggis....

I also pulled a smashing wheelie at a set of traffic lights on my cbt !!
He was going to fail me if I didn't stop stalling at them..so I tried REALLY hard..thought I am GOING to pull away fast this time..no problem...
dumped the clutch...vroooooommmmmmmmm.........in the air went the wheel !

My instructor starting killing himself laughing...I went bright red and started shaking...all the stationery car passengers stared at me....but I recovered it and pulled away...
needless to say he passed me Smile Thumbs Up

Later he asked me how the hell I did it..as all the instructors wanted to do one on their 125's, but none of them had managed it.
Neutral

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

JodieWodie wrote:
Later he asked me how the hell I did it..as all the instructors wanted to do one on their 125's, but none of them had managed it.
Neutral

Every learner must have done a wheelie by accident from dumping the clutch when they're revving too high in first, surely? Shifty It was one of the first things I did when I first got my bike. Ahem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:33 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remeber spining the back whhel and lifting the front end on a ts50 on my cbt, how the hell i managed that with 1.7 hp ill never know!!!!

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:56 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty guys i hope your right. Id probably kill myself if i failed because my sister passed (i know its not a test) but i am a much confident rider than she was when she did hers but then she had the road experience on her side since she was 23 and had been riding from 16 but them stopped at 18. She was the last to get figure of eights and things like that and still stalling, the last time i stalled is when i tried to pull away in second. i never do in first unless my petrol tap is turned off and i run out of petrol.

I have just entered the hyper stage at the moment, and knowing me on the night before i will get zero sleep and be pumped up with nerves but i hope i can do it, thew only thing worrying me at the moment is my gloves as there quite stuff and im finding it quite hard to control and well as i do without motorbike gloves.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:59 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear your gloves. It's the only way to break them in. Sleep in them if you have to.

ian_s
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am another who had never riden a bike before my CBT. When I turned up I was the only one on a geared bike. I also managed to wheelie at some traffic lights.

Honestly you will be fine. Listen to what the instructors tell you and you will get some great advice and enjoy it. What will be even better is when you take your own bike out on the road tommorow night by yourself.

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:36 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the positive responses, im starting to get a little nervous already, but mainly excited.

Quote:
Wear your gloves. It's the only way to break them in. Sleep in them if you have to.

I asked a friend of mine whos been riding for years and he said put them on and put your hands in some warm water and move around in them for a while so ive done that and there now drying i think they have stretched a little which is good for me. I just went outside to see how far away i could see a number plate from in the dark and i measured it as 89 feet, when you have to be 67 feet to be able to do your cbt or something like that.

I just hope the weather is okay, i dont mind if it rain but i dont want it to be icy so it is called off.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:22 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seriously don't need to worry about anything on a cbt.

Personally I'd ridden a couple of bikes off road (nothing major, probably an hour all combined). I think I stalled twice in the whole day.

Gears are no big deal, it'll all click into place.

CBT was great fun, I wanna do it again.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kinda stuff do you need to get before the CBT- ie- gloves etc??

Gingernut
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:20 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What kinda stuff do you need to get before the CBT- ie- gloves etc??

All I had for mine was a helmet and jacket, they usually supply helmets if you don't have one, but I would suggest you get your own if you can, simply because you will be able to get one that is comfortable

(best bet would be to phone up the people you are going to do the cbt with and ask them what they can provide)

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta nice 1. Im waiting for an email back from the bloke then i'll go out and get maybe a helmet and gloves too. Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:24 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really depends on where you take your CBT, most places are able to lend you helmet, didn't use gloves when I did my CBT although if you are definately getting a bike after you do your CBT it would make sense to get your own lid, gloves, jacket and textile or leather jeans and use them on your CBT. Speak to the CBT places when you're phoning around and see what kit they are able to provide.

There really is no need to practise or be able to do anything before your CBT, plently of people go and do their CBT having never sat on a motorbike before and pass without problems.

Easy as it is to say, but you really don't need to worry. If you've practised and able to pull away, stopping and changing gear it is going to be an easy day. You say you can stop fine using your front brake but a little sketchy on your back brake, remember you use them together not indepentantly of each other, about 75% front and 25% rear.

Don't worry about going and measuring how far you can read a number plate from, it is just a very simple way of doing an eye test, if you had eye problems you'd have noticed.

Life savers and everything is taught on the day, it is compulsory basic training, not a test.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:29 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case- i've only a limited time scale to learn-so maybe 2 weeks after the CBT i want to take the Direct access course. In an ideal world-id wait but unfortunately i need to be able to ride by February. Im not complaining..... Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:03 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people do their CBT as part of their DAS course, day one CBT and then a few days training on 500cc bikes with their test at the end. You'd be best off doing a DAS course with a training school with the test on the last day. Thumbs Up

Knisis
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my CBT, I had never been on a bike before and I thought a lifesaver was a sweet. Laughing

I've now been riding for several weeks at the weekends and around a local business estate at night practicing u-turns and emergency stops.

Most courses will proved a helmet and hi-vis vest, I took a pair of padded bicycle gloves, when riding on the road at 12mph unlikely to many issues.

Don't worry and enjoy yourself

Kirk

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: DAS course with test at the end- i might opt for that-sounds good.

Although i can take the CBT in the same week/bit as the DAS i reckon i'll do it a bit earlier to get a bit of practice in for my DAS course. Cool

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:16 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 day left, i was practising outside again on my figure of eights and i managed to do it in a 16 ft by 32 ft rectangle area, which my sister said was a lot better then hers when she did her cbt. Im not so nervous now ive done that first time, was a bit dodgy though because it was wet and most of it was on leaves.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT but messed up on the gears bit Embarassed
I kept kicking up into neutral Embarassed
Maybe it my soft top trainers, maybe im a dickhead (most likely)

So apaprt from the basics, what does the CBT consist of??

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:54 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt you pass it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3