Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New exhust manifold on 50cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

steve09
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:20 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: New exhust manifold on 50cc Reply with quote

hi i currently drive a bog standard piaggio typhoon and im doing a plant mechanics and engneering and engine tuning course at a college in norfolk i come back next weekend for good but this weekend (i come home every weeked) i were messing about with some pipes and what not and ive done a 3 week bench fitting course ssoo i was wondering, if i made a new manifold that split off the exhust into 2 differnt pipes then had a pipe ethier side would it effect the engine in any real bad waty i dont want any more perfomace or anything just something differnt and i wana mess about with my new found skills hehe, oh and im not in the least bit a ped boi lol,,
i know most of you will think WHY but u know its something to do hehe
cheers
steve
P.S
As ive a fair amount of time left till i can get a bigger bike i was also thinking of buying a cheap Ar or DT and maybe messing about on that soo if it dose go bang i still have a relable bike

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really, really need to get the diameters and lengths of the expansion chambers and pipes right. Doing that wrong will make your engine turn into runny poo. I've not got much idea about two-stroke tuning, though just in general, the exhaust gas dynamics are not very simple things. The main thing I can think of is getting the lengths right, so that exhaust scavenging still works properly. (Assuming the exhaust scavenging works in the same way on a 2t engine.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve09
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:39 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

is see well i think ill buy a secoond bike hehe you know to mess about on becuase this sounds alot more completacted than i expected lol we dont do 2stroke tuning till 2secoind year hehe
cheers for advice

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I imagine you could bodge something by following the same basic rules for keeping the flow rate the same and the basic length the same, and not have too many problems. Thinking Two pipes, the same length, but each has half the area (basically keep the same volume of pipe). If it were after the expansion chamber it would probably be easier as that could stay the same.

See the attached picture. I'm sure there are plenty of people who know far more about this than I do.

Last edited by mchaggis on 00:58 - 28 Nov 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:53 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a smaller diameter stinger on the end of each. Make it over-long then cut it back until it carburates properly?

steve09
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:55 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol that would look mad but if its easyer i could have say a dt50 and the exspanstion chamber then it T-ing off one round the other side and 2 pipes that could work hehe,, well ill buy the bike and let you know how i get on just got to wait till nxt pay day now december 23rd Sad lol need all money i can get at the moment for xmas

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:55 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve09 wrote:
lol that would look mad but if its easyer i could have say a dt50 and the exspanstion chamber then it T-ing off one round the other side and 2 pipes that could work hehe,, well ill buy the bike and let you know how i get on just got to wait till nxt pay day now december 23rd Sad lol need all money i can get at the moment for xmas

So like having one expansion chamber and two end-cans? Can't see why not. I have seen systems on KTMs that have two pipes up one side which go into a single splitter then back out into two cans, one each side under the saddle.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 03:51 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a speedfight like that on the intanet, But I cant work out where the expansion chamber is...
https://www.beepworld2.de/memberdateien/members20/malossifighter/monster_speedy.jpg

Ben...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steve09
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:22 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks quite kool thanks
and is tht nitrous down the side of that scooter :-S

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 15:10 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, its got a NOS bottle on it. AND its a woman owner. Shocked ...

but i cant figure out how them exhausts work because there dosent seem to be an expansion chambre, just a pair of TS50 end cans...

<|Ben|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of it, after a bit of lightening the picture, the exhaust on the left hand side of the bike snakes around the the front of the rear shock, and goes to join the right hand exhaust a little further forward. One might assume that the expansion chamber is on the right hand side as perhaps normal.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 15:49 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second end can on the left is more than likley just for show, I bet less that 20% of the fumes exit through that 1...
Also Ive seen a pipe on PM tuning where the expansion chamber is dead short and fat, and it starts really close to the manifold, then goes on to a straight through end can, so maybe its somthing like that just with an extra end can...

<|Ben|>
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1