Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to take bike apart-ish

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:02 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: How to take bike apart-ish Reply with quote

I dropped scooter today Sad Silly me, foot got trapped when taking it off stand and then it just fell slowly, teasing me as it inevitably went down. A bit fell out of one of the panel (air scoop grill) Going to fit it again tomorrow but i have to take the panel off to get it on. Whilst i am doing this i thought i would have a mess around with the rest of it see if i can get it to go faster. I just dont want to take it apart, and then not be able to put it back together, anyone know where i can get assembly diagrams or something similar for Peugeot Speedfight 2 WRC 2004 model? Thanks a lot.
Oh one more thing, if i were to take out the copper 'o' ring which is restricting the air flow in the filter, would this make it any faster? If so how much, approximately.

Many Thanks

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:06 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is restricted, then I can tell you where all the restrictors are on the Speedfights...
Ive owned and tuned 3 Mr. Green ...
If it is brand new tho, Id strongly advise taking it in to get it done cos if you mess it up, you will regret it.

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:31 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i dont want to de-restrict it really, just thought i would take the ring out of the air filter as i heard this is easy and it would improve the scooter. Is it worth it? I bought it in August.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:36 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the air restrictor out of the air box you may need to re tune the carb because its set up for that ammount of air intake...
BUT, if you want to try it, its a 5 minute job to do...

Get a flat headed screwdriver and take out the 3 screws on the air box cover.
Take the front off and remove the black foam...
now right to the left hand side you will see a big brass ring with a small hole in the middle, it "should" Just pull out, but you may need to use a bit of force...
Put the foam back in and put the cover back on and give it a try...
If when you get to full throttle it chokes out to nothing, then you will either need to rejet the carb, OR if you are lucky you may just be able to turn you air screw a couple of turns in.

Good Luck...

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:42 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well as you say it is easy to take out etc, i will try it, but if it does just cut out or whatever i will return the ring as i dont want to mess around with it too much, just a quick fix way to make it a little faster. Thanks Binge, sounds like your the man to ask about tuning. Are there any other ways to make it go faster that are dead easy? Don't want to de-restrict it as it is illegal hehe, anyway, help is appreciated it.

Chris

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:06 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the O ring out is illigal. and if ur gona do it, you may aswel go the full hog and do it all...

If you can take your drive cover off (pannel with kickstart on) you will see your variator and clutch...) get a variator tool for about £10 and remove your variator, take the washers out from behind the front hub and the replace it all...

thats probably a 45 minute job...

And then the last main restrictor is the blank pipe on the exhaust...
Just take ur pipe off, cut the blank hose off but leave about an inch on it, crimp it together in a vice then get the seem welded up...

And hey presto, your scooter will do about 50 mph...

<|Binge|>

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:16 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm tempting as it is.........
Tomorrow i will do the o ring and see what difference it makes, then if i am feeling lucky/stupid i will take off that cover for the variator and see if it looks complicated. If not i will maybe give it a go, you got any diagrams or anything i could look at when attempting it? Assembly stuff would be good i guess, and a good description of the variator thing to remove. Thanks a lot Binge!!!
Oh and also is the variator derestriction replaceable???
Chris

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:40 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, u can put the variator restrictions back in, but i dnt rlly see the point...
have a look at www.beedspeed.com

theres some fitting diagrams on there...
All the best...

<|BiNgE|>

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:46 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.beedspeed.com/fitting_50cc_variator.htm

That's the one i am looking at, is that right? Is it hard to do? I am a bit of a novice really, just dont wanna bugger it up or get caught by cops. they seem to do lots of randomn stops around my area. Do you know on that diagram i put the link for, just below the top there is an exploded diagram of what seems to be a variator Confused There are lots of numbers pointing to parts, which of these parts do i remove if any to derestrict it?

Chris

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:29 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, where would i get a variator tool from? Halfords?

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:27 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took the air filter off and i could not see the ring anywhere, it definitely wasnt in the box where the foam is, and i looked down the pipe connected to the air filter and could not see it anywhere. You think that they didnt put one on? Or am i looking in the wrong place. I took off the variator case thing and then forgot i didnt have the variator tool, i have rang up a few places but to no avail. Might have to order one or keep on looking. Are variator tools all the same size?

Chris

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 17:19 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is another way to get your variator off but you have to be very careful...
On the other side of the engine (behind the exhaust) you will have the fan cover/wter pump cover. This depeds on weather its Liquid cooled or air cooled. either way, it makes no different, but on water cooled its not a fan...

Remove the 4 bolts holding the cover on, and you should reveal your flywheel...
Now there are about 4 holes in the fly wheel, If you get a long bolt long enough to fit through one of the holes you can push the bolt in and jam up the cam, this holds the variator still to allow you to remove the nut holding it on... But undo the bolt SLOWLEY so that you dont dammage your engine...

m not sure if the new speedfights are restricted in the air box any more, there might not be a restriction in there...

When you take your variator off, DONT take it apart if you dont know what you are doing... Just simply remove the O rings off the cam shaft and replace the variator and front hub.

Replace the nut and the tighten it up slowley but make sure its tight...

Remember to remove the bolt what you pushed into the fly wheel other wise you will fuck everything up if you try to start it Wink

Replace the fan and cover and put the variator cover kickstart pannel back on and your off...

And then the only other restrictor is the blank hose on the exhaust...
Thats pretty simple to do...

And thats pretty much it...

Good luck mate...

<|Binge|>

"And remember what you are doing is at your own risk, Im not gona be responsible if your bike dont work... But it will"

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:05 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to read your message now Binge, too dark to try it now, i thought of undoing it from the other side but then thought against it. I have ordered a variator tool from Beedspeed so i will just do it when it arrives. How fast will it go with just the variator derestricted?

Cheers
Chris

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 21:16 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really about speed, its about power...

Deristricting the Variator will get you 45 - 50 mph, but it will take just as long as a restricted scooter to get there. Deristricting the variator is basically just allowing the belt to get to the top gear on the variator...

Now deristricting the exhaust will give you the power. The exhaust is restricting the backpressure causing weaker take off and less power... if you deristrict just the exhaust, you will only get about 35 out of it but it will be very qucik at getting there...

Good luck...

Oh, how much did you pay for the tool?

<|Binge|>

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:10 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool was £7.95 from Beedspeed. It was also an extra £1.50 for postage, i didnt realise until i had bought it but just underneath there was a universal clutch, variator and flywheel holder for £7.95.
I might get the exhaust done i don't know, just sounds awkward welding etc, would have to get it done at a garage and i would prefer something that was reversible like the variator. Do performance exhaust's such as Leo Vinci and Gianelli come with restrictors in? I have noticed for some of them it says they do but i wondered whether this was to restrict the sound to make it road legal noise levels.

Thanks for your help Binge
Chris

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 22:18 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a performance pipe which is supplied with rollers, then it comes restricted. but if you buy a proper illigal pipe like the Leovinci RR or the Technigas RS70 pipe then they dont have any restrictor at all and they also wont pass an mot..., but then you could always put ur stock pipe on to MOT it.
My advice - buy a "performance" race pipe (Not a "Powerpipe" and get some rollers (dnt matter what ones, about 5g will be fine)
wait til you have the pipe all there, then take your variator off, if you cant do it, then take it to a garage and ask them to put the 6 roller weights in the variator and seal it back up, Then put the variator back on your scooter and put the pipe on together...
It should be pretty rapid then... (you may need to adjust your Idol setting with the new pipe...

Good luck...

<|Binge|>

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:33 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so, if i buy a pipe such as Leo Vinci ZX or whatever, a performance one which says it has restrictors, it will just be as good as my stock one, therefore for there to be any reason in me buying an exhaust i would need a full on illegal one. If so, which do you recommend. I have no ideas where the rollers go or how to put an exhaust on but i am quite logical so i think i could work out the exhaust, my mate is mechanic anyway. What about the rollers though, where do they go in relation to the variator derestriction bit.
You mind if i have your MSN Messenger address so i can talk to you on there. Might be easier

Chris Very Happy

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:36 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also, where is the idle screw, my friend decided to mess around with the one near the air filter, think this is the mixture one, he put it back to where it was though originally.

Chris

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:54 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge69@hot(ive put this gap here so i dont get junk mail Wink )mail.com

Erm, I think your best bet is to go and buy a haynes manual from halfords or wherever. They are £15 and they are really good!
They will show how to set up the variator and put an exhaust on...

As for a restricted race pipe, they have a funnel type cone welded just inside the manifold with a spot weld. Get a hammer and chissel and break the weld, hook it out with a bit of 14 gague wire and you have got yourself a derestricted pipe.

Id recomend going for somthing around £90, I wouldnt go the full hog and get a £250 pipe like mine unles you think an extra 5mph is worth £160 extra...

The variator has a brace on the back of it with 3 screws in, remove the screws, the rollers will fall out in your hand and you will beable to see the 6 slots that they sit in...
Replace the new rollers in (simple as) and put the brace back on, Put the variator back on the cam shaft, then put the spacer lug back on (it slots into the variator) and ur belt, then finally the main front hub/fan... Tighten up the nut and your done...

As for the exhaust, take the stock 1 off (2 nuts on the manifold DO NOT atempt to undo the manifold nuts when the engine is hot)
Remove the 2 bolts on the side of the engine which are holding the rest of the exhaust up (Should be allen key bolts)

the exhaust (with a bit of tuging and twisting) should come off...

Repeat with the new exhaust. And now you have a fully derestricted and stage 1 tuned scooter Wink

<|Binge|>

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:13 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Binge. I will see what it is like with the variator restriction off first and then maybe buy an exhaust (most probably) just after Christmas or something. Leo Vince ZX or something i dunno yet.
Ill message you after i have done the variator and tell you if i broke it or not Very Happy

Chris

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:08 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooops. Friend i took my bike apart with spoke to his college tutor today and his tutor said we were trying to take the clutch off not the variator Very Happy hahahahaha not sure why i am laughing because it could of ended in tears. Oh well. Least i know now. I am taking it in to college to get it derestricted tomorrow. If the tutor is there anyway. He said that there is a washer in the exhaust that is drilled to increase to flow or something. I thought it was a pipe though that needed to be chopped off. Oh well he knows what he is talking about so maybe it is me not understanding what he meant.

Cheers
Chris

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:56 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi binge
yay finally got it derestricted after spendin 1 half hours in friends bakc garden with the variator ponderin which bit to take off and wud it break it or not but we guessed and got it right lol i shit me self when i started it up lol thought it wud just go bang or sumthing works now thou so got 40 out of it might get the exhaust done next dunno thou

thanx binge ill b in touch is it breaks ill b sendin u the bill

lol
chris Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1