Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ignition Advancer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:30 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Ignition Advancer Reply with quote

HI I was just wondering a mate told me I should get an ignition advancer for my 1997 bandit 600 and he said it will make a hell of a difference is he right and where can I get one and how much ??? and what else would I need Question Question

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 02:58 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mate really needs to read some books and get some practical experience.

An ignition advancer moves power around it doesn't give power. If you have a pipe and jet kit it will improve the bottom end and starting but take away about 5-10% of your top. They come in 3,4,5 degree and you use the one that works best on your engine.

Yoshimura = 3 degree

Suzuki = 4 degree

Factory = 5 degree

The most popular is the Factory as it's the easiest to get. The higher the number the more top end you sacrifice, sort of.

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:00 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Your mate really needs to read some books and get some practical experience.

An ignition advancer moves power around it doesn't give power. If you have a pipe and jet kit it will improve the bottom end and starting but take away about 5-10% of your top. They come in 3,4,5 degree and you use the one that works best on your engine.

Yoshimura = 3 degree

Suzuki = 4 degree

Factory = 5 degree

The most popular is the Factory as it's the easiest to get. The higher the number the more top end you sacrifice, sort of.
ok yeah sorry what I ment to put is he said it will sort my flat spot out and give more low down power SORRY

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mods do you have on your bike?

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:10 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
noisy can and im just waiting for my dynojet kit and k&n filter and I have irridium plugs

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandit wrote:
sickpup wrote:
noisy can and im just waiting for my dynojet kit and k&n filter and I have irridium plugs

does the k&n and iridium plugs make that much of a difference to the bike?

Could see me putting them in my er5 if they did....

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just over a year ago there was an item in PB where they fitted a can, K&N, factory pro kit (considered better for GSXR type engines) and an advancer and managed to loose about 8bhp everywhere.
If you want more power it can be done easily with better results and more reliability for a lot less money.

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:46 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irridium plugs did seem to make a difference I only brought them coz they was only an extra 60 odd p difference and they last longer Laughing in saying that my old plugs were knackerd with a nice big gap so I think any plug would have been better my fuel consumption seems to have gone up a bit aswell it seems to do an extra 1 -2 mile per gallon or is that coz I have slowed down a bit? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1