Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit jerking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:01 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Bandit jerking Reply with quote

When i was riding my Bandit 600 to work this morning it was jerking quite violently between 3 and 4k rev's. After riding it for about 30mins it seemed to go away.
It also felt a bit sluggish at very low revs.
Does anyone know what could cause this.
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:14 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cold air have you done anything to it or is it standard? because since I fitted my race can if I pull off straight after starting in the cold it feels like its running on 1 cylinder for the first 40 seconds then its just sluggish for 20 - 30 mins could be something different though Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:38 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I know around here it was very cold this morning. Was it damp? Did this problem only occur when running at speed then disappear a minute or so after you slowed for traffic / lights? If so then it sounds like carb icing.

Otherwise check the carbs over. Might be sticking needle valves flooding the engine, for example.

All the best

Keith

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:21 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only seems to happen before 4k revs. Its jerks most between 3 & 4.
Yes it was cold this morning, i left for work at 6:30, need i say more.
When i took my bike to the garage i seem to remember them saying a cable to prevent carb icing has came loose on one of the carbs, mabie this could be the problem.
Above 4k it runs fine.
Also when i stop at lights it will cut out.
The bike is standard.
As Danit said it feels like its running on 3/4 carbs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you sit on the bike and look down at the engine you'll notice you can see No.1 and No.4 sparkplug caps. The covers have lttle holes in them and on cold mornings fill with condensation and short out. Fill the holes with silicone and it should improve.

This was very comman on the early Bandit6.

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:31 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
When you sit on the bike and look down at the engine you'll notice you can see No.1 and No.4 sparkplug caps. The covers have lttle holes in them and on cold mornings fill with condensation and short out. Fill the holes with silicone and it should improve.

This was very comman on the early Bandit6.
i got a 97 bandit and dont have that problem Laughing but you should check the wires going into the carbs one of mine had come off when I brought it I was staring at it thinking where does that go? then it clicked it must be a carb heater Laughing

allweatherbik...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is a related problem but my GS500 ran like a pig for the first 4 miles of my journey this morning. It was jerking between 3000 and 4000 revs as well. The engine cut out when I was slowing down for a set of lights, it cut out again later on when I was pulling away from a set of lights. Tick over speed was about 900 revs instead of the usual 1200 to 1300 revs. Bike had its 4000 miles service on Friday although it ran O.K on Saturday, this problem has never happened before. I usually just have the choke on for about 30 seconds. I will leave the choke on for a bit longer tomorrow morning. If anyone has any ideas as what the problem could be I would be grateful.
Confused Thumbs Up
Ian

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:01 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Didn't know the Bandit 6 had carb heaters (the 1200 doesn't), but check these are working (and fitted, might not be if it is an import).

Both these problems do sound like carb icing to me. Cold weather low RPM missfire, disappears eventually.

Bet both of you have used around double the amount of petrol that you normally would this morning! My FZ750 used to suffer from this and when it did you could see the fuel gauge move (it would do 25mpg rather than its usual 45mpg).

All the best

Keith

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandit wrote:
but you should check the wires going into the carbs one of mine had come off when I brought it I was staring at it thinking where does that go? then it clicked it must be a carb heater Laughing

It's a throttle position sensor (TPS) not a heater. Laughing

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:30 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the service manual it is a carb heater. I just can't figure out how it clips on. Embarassed

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopoffbaby wrote:
According to the service manual it is a carb heater. I just can't figure out how it clips on. Embarassed

I'll admit thats a new one on me. I've never seen a bandit 6 with heaters.

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the heater wire today and found that one of the middle carbs is missing the pin that the carb heater wire connects too. Does anyone know where i can get one from?
I have attatched a picture to better explain what i mean.
Sorry for the poor light.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 20:23 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there actually a wire to go with the missing pin? Or is that missing too? The photo only shows 1 wire and 1 pin.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:33 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are 4 wires. 1 for each carb, 3 of the carbs have pins and wires attatched. Its just that one that is missing.
Its the darkness that makes it look like there is only one wire. The other is next to it.

PS. those pins are on the bottom of the carbs.

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:46 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 600 bandits I have seen have carb heaters.
Perhaps the tag has broke off the one that is missing, this is what happened to a friends bandit, he just bought a new one and we stuck it in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Didn't know the Bandit 6 had carb heaters (the 1200 doesn't), but check these are working (and fitted, might not be if it is an import).

Both these problems do sound like carb icing to me. Cold weather low RPM missfire, disappears eventually.

Bet both of you have used around double the amount of petrol that you normally would this morning! My FZ750 used to suffer from this and when it did you could see the fuel gauge move (it would do 25mpg rather than its usual 45mpg).

All the best

Keith

Hmm last winter my bike used a lot of juice and misfired a bit.
It would lurch too.
Tuned by the way. R1's don't have carb heaters either do they.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:58 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Git wrote:
The 600 bandits I have seen have carb heaters.
Perhaps the tag has broke off the one that is missing, this is what happened to a friends bandit, he just bought a new one and we stuck it in.

Do you know where i can get one from and how it goes in, does it just screw in?

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:08 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, well my friend got his one from a suzuki dealer, can't remember how much it was though, they just unscrew from memory, should take 5minutes to swap over.

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:27 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Git wrote:
Hi, well my friend got his one from a suzuki dealer, can't remember how much it was though, they just unscrew from memory, should take 5minutes to swap over.

Does it have a part # or would the mechanic know what I ment if I asked for a carb heater?

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:58 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the part number I am afraid, all I got handed was a small packet and some beer to fit it. Im sure the dealer will know.
Just out of curiosity what year is your bike? I think in the other thread we may have established that some models have them and some don't. Would be good to know for future reference.

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:14 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 1999 Model.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1