battery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:29 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

hi all and thanks for looking.

I have a suzuki ts 50 x and the battery seems to be going flat quite quickly, the other day the part that charges it up wasnt connected properly causing it to not recharge. I redid the connection and its was all working again. That night i charged up my battery and went out put it in, worked fine. today it seems to be getting awfully flat again and i havent riden it much. is there any ways i can tell if this thing is working properly and tell if its charging my battery?

I might have to take it down the garage but i want to try and do it myself because im quite good with electrics just dont know how i would test this thing. O and i have no money.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 17:56 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a volt meter and stick it on the terminals while the bike is running. When the revs go up the voltage should go up to maybe about 15v (Kickstart will tell you if I'm wrong Wink ).

If the voltage doesn't go up its not charging, and if it does go up your batterys knackard, if it goes to far (ie 16v+) your regulator is knackard.

Sorry this is short just on my way home.

Hex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:21 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for the reply ill check it at skool

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up its a new batt though but o well.

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:17 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

using voltmeter £2.99 from maplins

connect to battery terminals and with bike not started a fully charged battery will show 12.6 volts (11 volts or below and battery is flat).
With voltmeter connected start bike, voltage should initially drop to around 11.5 volts (any less and a battery cell is to be suspected).
once running voltage should raise to around 13.5 volts.
15 volts or more is overcharging.
the charge voltage (13.5 volts) should remain reasonably stable when engine rpm raised, if voltage fluctuates wildly with engine rpm then suspect charging system fault.

If you think it is required I can explain how to check for current drain etc if you have no luck with the above.

Cheers
Retro

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:27 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As above, but I suspect the TS50 might well have a 6 volt electrical system.

Look at the battery. If it has 6 caps covering holes for topping up the water then it is a 12V system, if it has 3 caps then it is a 6 volt system (there is one cap per cell, and each cell provides 2V).

Not sure what the acceptable range would be for a 6V system. However I would say put a multimeter over it and rev the engine. If the voltage does not go up then it is not charging (either the regulator / rectifier unit or the generator), but if it keeps going up
with the revs then it is overcharging (regulator / rectifier unit). I would guess that 7V is the minimun to be expected but over 8V is probably too much.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1